American Pastoral by Philip Roth

American Pastoral (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Philip Roth

Member:Mirna974
Title:American Pastoral
Authors:Philip Roth
Info:Vintage (1998), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

American Pastoral by Philip Roth (1997)

Recently added byFergus_Cooper, BasKoeln, private library, Frisius, Kua, benhyman, jwolson, FitzWales, bobparr

English (101)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (110)
Non mi sembra un libro di difficile lettura - e onestamente non lo è - non più di tanti altri. Roth scrive bene, con vigore, è un professionista della parola. Non è un cheeseburger, questo no. Lasciamo ai Follett e ai suoi seguaci quest'onere.

Roth è un artigiano della vita scritta. Certe cose non si dovrebbero scrivere, non dovrebbero trovare spazio sulla carta stampata.

Certi discorsi tra padre e figli, tra fratelli, non dovrebbero essere cosi *evidenti*. Certi meccanismi di rivalsa, di realtà quotidiana, non dovrebbero essere così *palesi*.

Questi dovrebbero essere libri *proibiti*, perchè rivelano, come nelle tele tagliate di Fontana, quello che c'è sotto la superficie - e non vorremmo fosse vero. Certi libri si dovevano scrivere secoli fa, ed essere ambientati a San Pietroburgo. Questo è apparso ai giorni nostri, e tra cent'anni farà lo stesso effetto che i 'Karamazov' hanno fatto a noi.

E se questi sono i libri difficili da leggere, impareremo a farlo. Abbiamo solo da guadagnarci. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
This was among the most tedious books I have read in a long time! Years ad years ago I had read other Philip Roth books and have yet to find one that I can say I enjoyed. Through out this book he repeats the same three or four overall thoughts again and again. Different words but the same thoughts. I know more about glove making than I will ever need to know. The disfunction family portrayed in the book are not representative of most American families now or during the time of the plot. All in all reading this was time I can never get back in my life. Read at your own risk of boredom. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Dec 8, 2014 |
What Anna Karenina was to farming, this is to glove-making; there are some brilliant passages in this book, but you need to wade through a lot of stuff on seams and tanning to reach them. The start, which recounts our narrator's awe at a school sports star, reeled me in with its echoes of Rabbit Angstrom, but story of the Swede that followed left me struggling. The concluding dinner party is a marvel, and the relationship between Swede and his daughter takes some pretty dark turns, but in the end I wanted more from such an acclaimed novel. ( )
  alexrichman | Dec 7, 2014 |
A book that had me paging back and forth, just to keep up with the plot. An indepth look into life in the sixties as well as the American Pastoral. A masterful pastiche of the glory and agony of the American experience. ( )
  charlie68 | Sep 11, 2014 |
Catalogues of things, places and emotions and long paragraphs and pages to explain how I should understand the milieu of the characters; just tell me what happens in a way that allows me to understand their emotions and how they interact socially with minimal authorial intrusion. Roth is a skilled writer and wordsmith, and he makes you feel good about yourself when you read him, but he uses too much ink and paper to get done what could be done, with equal or better effectiveness, in much less space. ( )
  DinoReader | Aug 21, 2014 |

Philip Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drazdauskienė, Rasasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drazdauskienė, Rasasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pellar, RudolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pellarová, LubaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dream when the day is thru, dream and they might come true, things never are as bad as they seem, so dream, dream, dream.
-Johnny Mercer from "Dream," popular song of the 1940s
the rare occurrence of the expected...
-William Carlos Williams, from "At Kenneth Bruke's Place," 1946
To J. G.
The swede.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375701427, Paperback)

Philip Roth's 22nd book takes a life-long view of the American experience in this thoughtful investigation of the century's most divisive and explosive of decades, the '60s. Returning again to the voice of his literary alter ego Nathan Zuckerman, Roth is at the top of his form. His prose is carefully controlled yet always fresh and intellectually subtle as he reconstructs the halcyon days, circa World War II, of Seymour "the Swede" Levov, a high school sports hero and all-around Great Guy who wants nothing more than to live in tranquillity. But as the Swede grows older and America crazier, history sweeps his family inexorably into its grip: His own daughter, Merry, commits an unpardonable act of "protest" against the Vietnam war that ultimately severs the Swede from any hope of happiness, family, or spiritual coherence.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:51 -0400)

An ordinary man finds that his life has been made extraordinary by the catastrophic intrusion of history when, in 1968 his adored daughter plants a bomb that kills a stranger, hurling her father out of the longed-for American pastoral and into the ingenious American berserk.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,443,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible