Humanism As the Next Step by Lloyd Morain

Humanism As the Next Step

by Lloyd Morain

972124,414 (4)None

A brief, clear and to-the-point account of the basics of humanism. I have seen many people, including myself, independently come up with very similar ideas for their personal philosophy. Humanist is a great label, provided one is sought, for someone who value human life, rationality, and reject supernaturalism and superstition.

There are a couple of criticism that I can make. For one, I would wish the language to be more precise at times. Careful attention to wording is one way to avoid reinforcing misconceptions that exist in the public at large. Also, I thought that the authors took unnecessary swipes at capitalism and consumerism, only a few, though. ( )
  igor.kh | May 29, 2008 |
This handy little pamphlet came as a gift following my renewal of membership in the American Humanist Association. It contains all anyone needs to know about Humanism, along with sections that answer the question, “Are you a Humanist?”

I especially liked one part of Chapter Two: “Seven Contributing Ideas” of Humanism.
These ideas include several things I had thought about and concluded for myself years ago. It is comforting to see I have a strong foundation for my philosophy of life. The seven ideas include: “1. life should be experienced deeply, lived fully, with environmentally sensitive awareness and appreciation of that which is around us; 2. nature is thoroughly worthy of attention and study; 3. confidence in humankind; 4. equality of rights among humans; 5. cooperation and mutual aid; 6. [belief in] evolution as worked out by 19th century scientists; and 7. [reliance on] scientific thinking” ( 25-26).

This short book is available from the American Humanist Association bookshop at http://www.americanhumanist.org/index.html

--Jim, 5/5/08 ( )
  rmckeown | May 5, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 093177909X, Paperback)

Nowhere else in the United States is there available a book like this. While there have been technical studies of humanism in the past, never before has there been such an authoritative, popular treatment of the whole field. It is for the 20% of the population who no longer receive satisfaction from traditional religions and technical philosophies. A much-needed resource for people who have independently come to an alternative to religious faith--whether they call themselves humanists or not.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:04 -0400)

Humanist Press

2 editions of this book were published by Humanist Press.

Editions: 093177909X, 0931779162

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,646,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible