Pillars of Salt by Fadia Faqir

Pillars of Salt (1996)

by Fadia Faqir

This is not, I think, the kind of book I usually care for, but I really loved this. The author was able to make real the terrible inequalities in Jordanian society and the limitations in the lives of the women, without slamming it over the reader's head. Neither did I find a particularly anti-male or anti-Islamic message, as there is in a lot of books about women and Islam. There were some very wonderful male characters in this story and you got the impression that those men who were bad, would have been bad no matter what time and place they grew up in.

I only wish the author had written more about Um Saad's life. I loved all the details of Maha's story but felt Um Saad didn't have enough page space. ( )
  meggyweg | Feb 24, 2011 |

A novel on the lot of Arab women. Set in Jordan in the 1940s, the protagonists are two women in a mental hospital who exchange stories. One is a mother of eight who was repudiated by her husband so he could marry a younger woman. By a Jordanian writing in English, author of Nisanit.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,208,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible