Dying Bites by Don DeBrandt

Dying Bites

by Don DeBrandt

I wanted to like this book. The storyline is interesting and the characters started out with promise. The main character was probably meant to be edgy and snarky instead of rude and petulant. The author seemed to be trying for Anita Blake in the early LK books but without the inner humor and produced a temperamental teenager instead. No snark, just rude. No inner life, just self-involved. She needed a time-out and I will oblige by not reading another in the series. ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
Very good read, I enjoyed this book a lot and will probably read the sequel. FBI profiler Jace Valchek has just been reassigned -- to an alternate world. The world is populated mostly with vampires, lycanthropes and golems, with humans being an endangered species. But Jace is a specialist in the criminally insane, and this world now has its first serial killer. The world in this book was well imagined and described, and Jace makes an appealing heroine who is tough enough to be believable. Although infected with the usual sarcastic humor urban fantasy seems to be plagued with, it doesn't overwhelm the plot, and some of it was actually funny. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
FBI profiler Jace is in for a bizarre reality check when she is pulled into a parallel universe where humans are only 1% of the popular. With little knowledge of mental illness in his world, vampire NSA Chief David Cassius needs Jace’s help to catch a deranged serial killer and refuses to let her go home until the job is done.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Feb 14, 2017 |
Quick synopsis--Jace is an FBI agent who is sucked out of our world and deposited into a parallel universe where gods, vampires and werewolves exist on the premise of helping the NSA to eliminate a global threat of terrorism targeting vamps and weres.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book but someone somewhere recommended it to me. I didn't exactly hate it but it wasn't exactly good either. I listened to the audio and I think the narrator did a decent job but the heroine's attitude came across as a total B. She screams all the time. She is insubordinate. She has attitude on top of attitude. NOT a good thing. Since I didn't read the book I didn't know if it was more of the narrator's interpretation of Jace or if she really was written this way. I hated her.
I also had issues with why the parallel universe needed Jace. With an entire world of expertise full of races who are faster, stronger and longer lived than mere humans, why did they need her? This was, by far, my biggest issue with the book (even factoring in that I hated the heroine.) This point is not explained. It compromises the entire book/series's integrity, if you ask me.
So, will I read book 2? I can't get it in audio from my library so I'd have to actually invest complete focus on it and I'm not sure it would be worth it. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
I was really intrigued by the idea of this book. What mostly interested me was the change-up to the traditional urban fantasy where, instead of editing the current world, the author took her character and placed her in a parallel one.
So where did everything go wrong? I don't entirely know, but I think a lot of the problems can be traced back to the fact that the world wasn't well-built enough to make it either interesting or believable. There was entirely too much explanation of HOW the two worlds paralleled and not enough action to counteract all the exposition.
For another thing, the two worlds are miraculously EXACTLY alike other than the fact that one world has guns, and the other world has... supernatural creatures. That is literally the ONLY difference. Because of this extreme lack of difference, the two worlds may as well have been combined, or else the editors should have removed the elaborate descriptions of the "differences" between the two worlds to help the pacing.
I had no major issues with the characters, and I was particularly fond of Charlie - which was surprising considering vampires are generally more my thing. Well, I take that back. I had one really huge issue with Jace: after her initial complaint, she basically just accepted the fact that she was to take up permanent residence within this alternate reality, that she would now live her life at the whim of a vampire who basically killed most of her entire species. And all she wants out of it is an office and some plants? Hahahaha what???
Since I didn't exactly DISlike it, I'll probably try out the next book in the series. I'm expecting most of the exposition to be missing from now on since the world is now established, and that might help with the pacing and character development. ( )
  ItEntertainsMe | Oct 4, 2016 |
"Snappy writing, a page-turning story and fresh world-building make Dying Bites a satisfying meal of a book."
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kelley Armstrong

"Surviving in this unique alternate reality will take a heroine with plenty of guts, moxie and a sense of the absurd. This fresh and original take on urban fantasy follows the first-person exploits of an FBI profiler literally yanked out of her world. Huge kudos to Barant for spicing things up with a story that expertly integrates detective work, kick-butt action and a wacky sense of humor. Make sure you get in early on the outstanding new Bloodhound Files series."
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

This engrossing debut adds another captivating protagonist to the urban fantasy ranks. FBI profiler Jace Valchek is abruptly yanked into a parallel universe where vampires, werewolves and golems are 99% of the population. The supernatural beings aren't affected by mental or physical disease, so they're baffled by the emergence of a crazed human killer. Vampire NSA chief David Cassius hopes Jace, who has special skills in dealing with mentally deranged criminals, can catch the Impaler. Until she succeeds, he won't let her go back home. As Jace investigates the Free Human Resistance, a terrorist group, she starts to wonder which side she wants to be on. Barant's well-developed world offers intriguing enhancements to mythology and history. Jace is remarkable, strong-willed and smart, and she sets an unstoppable pace. Look for the Bloodhound Files to go far.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublishers Weekly

Her job description is the "tracking and apprehension of mentally-fractured killers". What this really means in FBI profiler Jace Valchek's brave new world - one in which only one percent of the population is human - is that a woman's work is never done. And real is getting stranger every day.

Jace has been ripped from her reality by David Cassius, the vampire head of the NSA. He knows that she's the best there is in the business, and David needs her help in solving a series of gruesome murders of vampires and werewolves. David's world - one that also includes lycanthropes and golems - is one with little knowledge of mental illness. An insane serial killer is a threat the NSA has no experience with. But Jace does.

Stranded in a reality where Bela Lugosi is a bigger box office draw than Bruce Willis and every full moon is Mardi Gras, Jace must now hunt down a fellow human before he brings the entire planet to the brink of madness. Or she may never see her own world again....

"Jace has been ripped from her reality by David Cassius, the vampire head of the NSA. He knows that she's the best there is in the business, and David needs her help in solving a series of gruesome murders of vampires and werewolves. David's world--one that also includes lycanthropes and golems--is one with little knowledge of mental illness. An insane serial killer is a threat the NSA has no experience with. But Jace does. Stranded in a reality where Bela Lugosi is a bigger box-office draw than Bruce Willis, and every full moon is Mardi Gras, Jace must now hunt down a fellow human before he brings the entire planet to the brink of madness. Or she may never see her own world again..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,329,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible