The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance by…

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance

by Trisha Telep (Editor)

Other authors: C. T. Adams (Contributor), Ilona Andrews (Contributor), Kelley Armstrong (Contributor), Anya Bast (Contributor), Meljean Brook (Contributor)20 more, Rachel Caine (Contributor), Cathy Clamp (Contributor), Alyssa Day (Contributor), Lori Devoti (Contributor), Jeaniene Frost (Contributor), Lynda Hilburn (Contributor), Allyson James (Contributor), Dina James (Contributor), Jean Johnson (Contributor), Sherrilyn Kenyon (Contributor), Holly Lisle (Contributor), Sara Mackenzie (Contributor), Cheyenne McCray (Contributor), Catherine Mulvany (Contributor), Mary Jo Putney (Contributor), Michelle Rowen (Contributor), Eve Silver (Contributor), Maria V. Snyder (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor), Anna Windsor (Contributor)

Series: Weather Warden (Short story "Blue Crush", 1.5), Lords of Avalon [Kenyon] (Short story "The Wager", 2.5), Kitty Norville (Short story "The Temptation of Robin Green", 0.5), Key to Hell (Short story "Once A Demon", 9), Mammoth Books, Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (1)

Recently added bygrapeapril75, private library, Pebblesgmc, hohosmurf, Debbie97462, bibliophilistic21

I won't go through each story as others have already done so better than I could. However, for me, were both good and not so good stories in this collection. There was a couple that I didn't finish. I especially enjoyed the story by Jeaniene Frost, and have since bought other books by her. Overall a mixed bag of stories, but it helped me discover a few new authors I liked, so on that basis, I would recommend this collection. ( )
  autumngirl70 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I'm extremely surprised by how much I enjoyed this anthology! I picked it up intending to just read the stories by authors I know I like—Kelley Armstrong, Ilona Andrews, Carrie Vaughn, Holly Lisle, Jeaniene Frost, Maria V. Snyder. I had never heard of some of the other authors. A few names I remembered seeing in other anthologies and not enjoying their work.I did, however, deliberately put myself in a tolerant mindset: this is a book of romance stories. It wouldn't be fair to judge them as anything else.That worked rather better than it has in the past. I still got a little annoyed at having so much of each story dedicated to couples (and all het/mono couples, at that!) rather than some intriguing world ideas, but managed to stay on track.In the end, I only skipped one story—I just don't like the Weather Wardens stuff at all. I found a couple of others substandard, but all in all, Telep chose very well. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys paranormal romance (maybe even those who usually stick to just romance), and most urban fantasy fans. ( )
  BellaMiaow | May 29, 2012 |
I bought this book to read the Ilona Andrews short story The Grace of Small Magics, which is about a powerful mage who stakes his life on a woman with small magic but a large indomitable spirit. The heroine's family is indentured servants to the Mage's family, and she is required to help him, but ends up making the choice whether to help him or not for her own reasons. The world that Ilona Andrews has built is fascinating, and I would love to see more of it. ( )
  cmwilson101 | Sep 17, 2011 |
A solid collection of original 24 short stories that were easy to read and great examples of the genre. I think this would be an ideal introduction to the genre for someone interested, and a great read for fans.There is a nice variety - vampires, shifters, ghosts, and even a gargoyle and only a few that had links to the authors series eg Blue Crush by Raechel Caine (Weather Warden series) and The Wager by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Lords of Avalon series). I have read something from most of the authors so far but a few were new to me like Anna Windsor (John Doe), Lori Devoti (When Gargoyles Fly) and Meljean Brook (In Sheeps Clothing) and i'll be looking for more from them.My favourites were mainly by authors I am already familiar with - Taking Hold by Anya Bast; Gace of Small Magics by Ilona Andrews and Pack by Jeaniene Frost. There were only two that didn't appeal. My local library got this for me on interlibrary loan from another state - have to say - libraries rock! ( )
  shelleyraec | May 9, 2011 |
Having read many reviews that noted that this collection was not particularly heavy with romance and gave a good idea of the style of these 24 paranormal writers, I decided to set aside my dislike of the romance genre and give it a try. I'm a fan of paranormal fantasy and am always looking for more authors to read; I thought this would be the perfect way to find some.

What I found instead were 24 tales of sappy romance or lust, with our hero and heroine thrown together in blatantly contrived ways that, even for paranormal fiction, simply didn't feel believable. On the whole, the writing was poor, the characters shallow and the settings loosely constructed.

I did enjoy "Paranormal Romance Blues" by Kelley Armstrong, though. Her heroine had personality and a mind of her own. Unlike the rest, it didn't have the romance genre's general attitude toward partners and romance (and my reason for not caring for the genre), i.e. that to have a real romance, one must be perfect physically and that romance and passion is always incredible, mind-shattering and lasts forever. Ms. Armstrong's story had average characters who seemed real. While it was no five star story, I enjoyed it enough that I will look up more of her work. (This one is also the reason for a two star rating, instead of a one star.)

As for the rest, it could simply be that these authors were not able to write a good short story. It is an art, quite unlike that of writing a novel, and just may not be their strength. None the less, the plots of these stories give an idea of the interests and abilities of the author, and having read them I know I wouldn't be interested in a novel-length plot by any of them. ( )
  Medbie | Jan 29, 2011 |

The wager / Sherrilyn Kenyon

In sheep's clothing / Meljean Brook

The dream catcher / Allyson James

24 new short stories from the hottest names

Fall in love with someone out of this world.

If love transcends all boundaries then paranormal romance is its logical conclusion. From the biggest names around, here are 24 tales to take you to another time and place.

Let Alyssa Day, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Cheyenne McCray, Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews, Kelley Armstrong, Maria V. Snyder, Carrie Vaughn, Allyson James Marland and others show you powers beyond your wildest imaginings.

Within these pages mythical beasts, magical creatures of all shapes and sizes, heart-stoppingly handsome ghosts, angels, and mortals with extra-sensitive sensory perception play out the themes of extraordinary desires.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:05 -0400)

From some of the biggest names in the field, here are 24 tales to take you away from life ordinary. Contributors include Alyssa Day, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Ilona Andrews and Maria V. Snyder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,356,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible