Lucky's Lady (Doucet) by Tami Hoag

Lucky's Lady (Doucet) (original 1992; edition 2003)

by Tami Hoag

Series: Doucet (2)

Member:lamplight
Title:Lucky's Lady (Doucet)
Authors:Tami Hoag
Info:Bantam (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Lucky's Lady by Tami Hoag (1992)

I thoroughly enjoyed this title. When I lived in Houston, TX for a short time, we would sometimes go over to Louisiana and in various small towns, one could hear the sharing of conversation in Cajun French. Conversations always seemed a little more heartfelt as one would listen. For anyone that is familiar, this book will strike a beautiful chord. For anyone not familiar, one will find an introduction to a rich heritage. I learned that this was a transitional title for the author's work - I'll let you find a copy to discover my meaning by your own reading. You will not be disappointed. The story combines many layers of family relationships, the layers of environmental dynamics all in the midst of an intriguing love story. Enjoy! ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Pretty much your typical early-90's romance. I liked the plot of the story, even though it could be way too generic in places. Etienne "Lucky" Doucet (I love that name, so much) is, again, your typical romantic hero. Big, broad, and brooding. He has a difficult past and, of course, that has caused him to become reclusive and apt to hold everyone at arm's length or further. Basically, the warrior with the heart of gold. For some reason, though, some of his secrets – especially one that is rather pertinent to Serena – never comes out. I don't know why we didn't get to see him telling her (or her finding out in some way). He knew hers. Serena started off great for me. She has a mouth on her. Unfortunately, she only used it on Lucky. She let her terrible twin sister get away with murder (almost literally) without ever really confronting her. She figured out what her grandfather was doing with her, and let him get away with it. She just had to see the good in everyone and that eventually put her in a too stupid to live scenario. While it was definitely a hero propping moment, there were better ways to get to it than to make her look incredibly dumb.

While there is a lot that is typical about this story, and the way the romance evolves, I have to say that I loved the setting. Thankfully I'm not from Louisiana, so I can feel that way. It is a neat setting for a book, and not in the usual Louisiana setting of New Orleans.

Overall, a somewhat enjoyable read. I just wish some of the characters got more of a comeuppance and that Serena made me facepalm a lot less. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
For those who may have read Tami's later works before this one (like me) would be slightly disappointed. The book is a romance novel built around strong, vibrant and somewhat terrifying landscape. It is well written and nice to read. Very entertaining. Though written in an extensively detailed manner , it kind of seemed to me to be more like a Mills and Boon. The educated, delicate lady from the city returning to her roots as she feels 'something is drawing her hinting at the hole in her soul'. She falls for the tough brazen anti-hero and inevitably hopes and pines to reform him, yet surrendering to her fate of love-less suffering. The devilish hero does everything worth winning hearts but is a self proclaimed 'unworthy man with a dark past' loves her and yet can't be with her and still wants her.....Amongst all this is a scheming twin sister and a brother -in-law with a partner in crime, its all for the money. In the end everything is fine.. the girl gets the guy and the property, while the villains are caught. ( )
  superphoenix | Apr 12, 2011 |
Very hot and steamy romance novel with a great ending. I was captivated! ( )
  TinyDancer11 | Feb 17, 2011 |
What's not to love? Novels set in Louisiana (my native state) always grab my attention and this one didn't disappoint. This is one of the novels that show Ms. Hoag slow transition from romance to mystery/thrillers. Its got a little bit of everything, topped off with the irrestistible Lucky Doucet. ( )
  Pickle115 | Jun 22, 2010 |
"You want to do what, chere?"

This steamy romance by a master of the genre sandwiches sex, implicit and explicit, between thin layers of plot. Psychologist Serena Sheridan returns to her family's plantation in South Louisiana after her ailing but feisty grandfather has gone missing for one week. To guide her through the hazardous Atchafalaya swamp toward her grandfather's presumed hideout, she hires Etienne "Lucky" Doucet ("a prime example of the male animal"). The diamond-in-the-rough Cajun has an electrifying effect on polished Serena, and before long the shivering, tingling and verbal sparring lead to lovemaking. Eros doesn't keep them from their task, however, and the two uncover a far-ranging conspiracy.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587188, Mass Market Paperback)

As wild and mysterious as the Louisiana swamp he called home, Lucky Doucet was a dangerously attractive Cajun no woman could handle.  His solitary life left no room for the likes of elegant Serena Sheridan, but Lucky couldn't deny her desperate need to find her missing grandfather.  He would help her, but nothing more—yet once he felt the lure of the flaxen-haired beauty, an adventurer like Lucky couldn't help playing with fire.

Serena felt unnerved, aroused, and excited by the ruggedly sensual renegade whose gaze burned her with its heat, but she did not dare tangle with a rebel whose intensity was overwhelming, who claimed his heart was off limits?  Deeper and deeper they traveled into the steamy bayou, until with one electrifying kiss her resistance melted into liquid desire.  And the devilish rogue found he'd do anything to make Serena Lucky's Lady.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:33 -0400)

Serena Sheridan hires Lucky Doucet, a reclusive man from Louisiana bayou country, to help her search for her missing grandfather and finds herself reluctantly drawn to Lucky's rugged ways.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,140,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible