Der Geschmack von Chlor by Bastien…

Der Geschmack von Chlor

by Bastien Vivès, Kai Wilksen (Übersetzer)

Member:Raynelove
Title:Der Geschmack von Chlor
Authors:Bastien Vivès
Other authors:Kai Wilksen (Übersetzer)
Info:Reprodukt (2010), Edition: 1., Auflage, Broschiert, 144 pages
Rating:***

A Taste of Chlorine by Bastien Vivès

English (3)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (6)
The artwork in this book seems to have made a strong impression on me, as it was hypnopompia fodder--for a couple of months after reading Taste of Chlorine, one of the images I'd often see when awakening was that of a swimming-bath roofed over with glass and enclosed by two tiers of corridors with many doors. I'd struggle to remember when I was in that place, and it was only when fully awake that I'd recall its source was the Vives..

The story is very simple indeed. A lad of perhaps 15 goes swimming in this pool each Wednesday. He becomes friendly with another teen-ager he meets there, one who has inexplicably given up competitive swimming and who gives him pointers on swimming technique. Sometimes she doesn't show; once she turns up at the pool with an older chap. After being asked a serious question by the lad, she mouths to him underwater an unintelligible reply. That's all, really, but a faint air of mystery underlying the events gives the story an unexpected depth.

The artwork is distinctive and well-considered, coloured with a limited palette suited perfectly to the setting. And the subtly-told story is a welcome change from the full-on portrayals of angst, of life-changing first love, or of coming-of-age moments more commonly found in comics--and in novels, for that matter--with teen-aged protagonists. It's a book I'll probably re-read several times in the future and for the present would recommend without reservation.
  bluepiano | Dec 30, 2016 |
Hard to judge this one. I loved the art, it put across the other wordly nature of indoor pools very well, and the story was simple and realistic but I'm not sure about the payoff.

Did he invent the girl to make his swimming more fun or did he really meet her? I don't know and as to whether she said "I love you" or not, well I don't know the answer to that either. I think she probably said "I am you" because it was interesting that she faded away just at the point that he became confident with his swimming and so she was probably a fantasy creation of a lonely teen.

Very interesting and I changed my rating three or four times; that's a good sign, in my opinion, that the book is making me think.
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
2.5 stars. ( )
  resistate | Mar 31, 2013 |

A teenage boy suffering from curvature of the spine begins swimming every week at the local pool, at the repeated request of his chiropractor. In the interior and echoing world of the swimming pool, surrounded by anonymous bodies and in between lengths, he becomes acquainted with a girl who agrees to give him pointers on his poor technique.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,704,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible