Revolutionary Wealth: How it will be created…

Revolutionary Wealth: How it will be created and how it will change our… (edition 2007)

by Alvin Toffler, Heidi Toffler (Author)

Member:literarytech
Title:Revolutionary Wealth: How it will be created and how it will change our lives
Authors:Alvin Toffler
Other authors:Heidi Toffler (Author)
Info:Crown Business (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:Main Library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Economics, Wealth, Sociology, Education

Revolutionary Wealth by Alvin Toffler

English (8)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (10)
All very good, except I have some caveats with the two basic premisis ( ' deep fundamentals ' the the knowlege economy ) ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
All I can say it read it. Knowledge is wealth. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
The most signficant part of this book, for me, was the concept of wealth systems. The Tofflers characterize human history as falling into three major wealth systems: Agricultural, Industrial and Digital. With this clarity, it is possible to understand many of the struggles we have today as we change wealth systems. Likewise, we can see more clearly the difficulties in the movement from Agriculture to Industry.

This is particularly interesting in light of education, because, as the Tofflers point out, the education system develops to support the needs of the larger wealth system. With these distinctions we can better understand the various embedded approaches within our education system and make more judicious decisions about how to move forward. ( )
  literarytech | Jan 19, 2013 |
I am ambivalent about this book. Some interesting points similar to reading the web or a magazine, however not sure what to do with it. The information was coming so fast at times it was hard to digest. Really liked their epilogue which was an optimistic look at the future taking into account all the horrors that could happen or be avoided. ( )
  GShuk | Jun 10, 2011 |

Alvin Tofflerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Toffler, Heidimain authorall editionsconfirmed

Starting with the publication of their seminal bestseller, Future Shock, Alvin and Heidi Toffler have given millions of readers new ways to think about personal life in today’s high-speed world with its constantly changing, seemingly random impacts on our businesses, governments, families and daily lives. Now, writing with the same rare grasp and clarity that made their earlier books classics, the Tofflers turn their attention to the revolution in wealth now sweeping the planet. And once again, they provide a penetrating, coherent way to make sense of the seemingly senseless.

Revolutionary Wealth is about how tomorrow’s wealth will be created, and who will get it and how. But twenty-first-century wealth, according to the Tofflers, is not just about money, and cannot be understood in terms of industrial-age economics. Thus they write here about everything from education and child rearing to Hollywood and China, from everyday truth and misconceptions to what they call our “third job”—the unnoticed work we do without pay for some of the biggest corporations in our country.

They show the hidden connections between extreme sports, chocolate chip cookies, Linux software and the “surplus complexity” in our lives as society wobbles back and forth between depressing decadence and a hopeful post-decadence.

In their earlier work, the Tofflers coined the word “prosumer” for people who consume what they themselves produce. In Revolutionary Wealth they expand the concept to reveal how many of our activities—whether parenting or volunteering, blogging, painting our house, improving our diet, organizing a neighborhood council or even “mashing” music—pump “free lunch” from the “hidden” non-money economy into the money economy that economists track. Prosuming, they forecast, is about to explode and compel radical changes in the way we measure, make and manipulate wealth.

Blazing with fresh ideas, Revolutionary Wealth provides readers with powerful new tools for thinking about—and preparing for—their future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:56 -0400)

Social analysts Alvin and Heidi Toffler turn their attention to the revolution in wealth now sweeping the planet. This book is about how tomorrow's wealth will be created, and who will get it and how. But 21st-century wealth, they argue, is not just about money, and cannot be understood in terms of industrial-age economics. They write about everything from education and child rearing to Hollywood and China, from everyday truth and misconceptions to what they call our "third job"--the unnoticed work we do without pay for some of the biggest corporations. In earlier work, they coined the word "prosumer" for people who consume what they themselves produce. Here they expand the concept to reveal how many of our activities--parenting, volunteering, blogging, painting our house, improving our diet, organizing a neighborhood council--pump "free lunch" from the "hidden" non-money economy into the money economy that economists track.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,046,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible