The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine

The Blue Notebook

by James A. Levine

Recently added byprivate library, EHS-LMC, Laura_Jones, FAR2MANYBOOKS
    Sold by Patricia McCormick (Pickle115)
    Push by Sapphire (thekoolaidmom)
    thekoolaidmom: Similar subject matter, pov and the idea that education is the path to freedom
    Lovely Green Eyes by Arnost Lustig (labfs39)
    labfs39: Although The Blue Notebook is set in the streets of Mumbai and Lovely Green Eyes is set in a Nazi brothel, the horror of child prostitution is unflinchingly portrayed without compromising the beauty and yet-enduring innocence of the children.

English (79)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (82)
wasn't as good as i thought i would be. a little disturbing. just an ok read ( )
  amanaceerdh | Jul 23, 2014 |
A very vivid portrayal of sex, violence and abuse toward children. *Not for the faint of heart.*
As another reviewer stated, I can't put my finger on why this book was just OK.
I'm familiar with reading "man's inhumanity to man" subjects, yet this book which I guess I thought would reveal the resilience of human spirit, sadly, did not do this. Rather it proved to me that these children merely adapt to their sad circumstances. Which is after all what children do.

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
As another reviewer stated, I can't put my finger on why this book was just OK.

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
Batuk is a fifteen-year-old girl living in a brothel on Common Street in Mumbai, India. The bright points in her life are her best friend, Puneet, a male prostitute living a few “nests” down from her in the same brothel, and a notebook which she keeps hidden away in a slit in her thin mattress. Her vivid imagination and knack for storytelling lead her to paint a world of cheerful descriptions of the ragged and decrepit room that she describes as an elaborately painted and decorated nest or cage and the sexual acts that she is forced to endure is misleadingly called making sweet cakes. Over the course of the novel Batuk tells the story of how she was sold by her father into prostitution as a nine-year-old to pay off unspecified family debts.

The proprietor of the brothel, Mamaki Briilla, drops a pencil and instead of returning it Batuk steals and hides it so that she can recount her early life, and the last day that she saw the family and the father she still misses after six years. Batuk is an emerging beauty and after one of her “customers” noticing this suggest her for a position outside the brothel walls, but is she better off facing a new situation or staying with the horror that she already knows?

James Levine does an amazing job getting us into the head of Batuk. Though she has grown up with a family and has had to face the betrayal of those closest to her she tries to make the best of it and always see the beauty in the life despite her horrific circumstances. Batuk weaves a world of beauty and exquisite stories out of the every day tragedy that is her life. She creates a world that you want to believe in for her sake though it makes the crushing reality that she faces that much more difficult and painful to witness. The subject matter is dark and movingly in contrast to the light and engaging way that Batuk presents her narrative. It’s short at a mere 200 pages but stunningly rendered. There’s really not much to be said other than, “Read this book.” ( )
  daniellnic | Sep 25, 2013 |
This is a fictionalized account of an Indian girl who was sold by her father at the age of nine to a sexual predator. Her life as a child prostitute is haunting and horrifying, with her only escape the writing she does in her blue notebook. Ironically, her writing is also the cause of her greatest terrorism at the end of this book. Levine is to be applauded for this foray into a world that many would prefer not to acknowledge. Be certain that the sexual trafficking of children does exist, and is not isolated to fiction or to "other" countries. We are all responsible for saving these children from a heart-breaking existence at the hands of any country's most reprehensible criminals. ( )
  pdebolt | Aug 25, 2013 |
To the girl in the pink sari
with the rainbow trim.
She stood in front of
the bright blue cage.
I have a break now.

Batuk er ung indversk stúlka sem ætti að vera að leika sér, læra og feta fyrstu skrefin út í lífið. Í stað þess er hún lokuð inni í nöturlegu búri í fátækrahverfi í Mumbai þar sem hún er neydd til að uppfylla kynlífsþarfir ókunnugra karla. Batuk spinnur upp ævintýri um silfureyga hlébarða í bláu minnisbókina sína um leið og hún segir frá botnlausri grimmd, niðurlægingu og örvæntingu með rödd barnsins sem hefur glatað sakleysi sínu.Bláa minnisbókin er áhrifamikil saga af fórnarlömbum barnamisnotkunar, saga sem nístir hjartað en vegsamar jafnframt vonina og máttinn sem býr í orðunum. Höfundurinn er læknir sem kynntist hlutskipti indverskra götubarna þegar hann var við störf í Mumbai. Sagan er skáldverk en byggir á reynslu Levine, skýrslum hans og rannsóknum.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038552871X, Hardcover)

Dear Reader:

Every now and then, we come across a novel that moves us like no other, that seems like a miracle of the imagination, and that haunts us long after the book is closed. James Levine’s The Blue Notebook is that kind of book. It is the story of Batuk, an Indian girl who is taken to Mumbai from the countryside and sold into prostitution by her father; the blue notebook is her diary, in which she recalls her early childhood, records her life on the Common Street, and makes up beautiful and fantastic tales about a silver-eyed leopard and a poor boy who fells a giant with a single gold coin.

How did Levine, a British-born doctor at the Mayo Clinic, manage to conjure the voice of a fifteen-year-old female Indian prostitute? It all began, he told me, when, as part of his medical research, he was interviewing homeless children on a street in Mumbai known as the Street of Cages, where child prostitutes work. A young woman writing in a notebook outside her cage caught Levine’s attention. The powerful image of a young prostitute engaged in the act of writing haunted him, and he himself began to write.

The Blue Notebook
brings us into the life of a young woman for whom stories are not just entertainment but a means of survival. Even as the novel humanizes and addresses the devastating global issue of child prostitution, it also delivers an inspiring message about the uplifting power of words and reading–a message that is so important to hold on to, especially in difficult times. Dr. Levine is donating all his U.S. proceeds from this book to help exploited children. Batuk’s story can make a difference.

Sincerely,

Celina Spiegel
Publisher

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:41 -0400)

Batuk, an Indian girl, is taken to Mumbai from the countryside and sold into prostitution by her father; the blue notebook is her diary, in which she recalls her early childhood, records her life on the Common Street, and makes up beautiful and fantastic tales about a silver-eyed leopard and a poor boy who fells a giant with a single gold coin.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible