The Blue Notebook: A Novel by James Levine…

The Blue Notebook: A Novel (edition 2009)

by James Levine M.D.

Member:Godsgirl
Title:The Blue Notebook: A Novel
Authors:James Levine M.D.
Info:Spiegel & Grau (2009), Hardcover, 224 pages
Tags:prostitute in India, very graphic

The Blue Notebook by James Levine M.D.

Recently added bysandra.k.heinzman, corinnerodrigues, private library, Lambielle, davidakachaos
    Sold by Patricia McCormick (Pickle115)
    Push by Sapphire (thekoolaidmom)
    thekoolaidmom: Similar subject matter, pov and the idea that education is the path to freedom
    Lovely Green Eyes by Arnost Lustig (labfs39)
    labfs39: Although The Blue Notebook is set in the streets of Mumbai and Lovely Green Eyes is set in a Nazi brothel, the horror of child prostitution is unflinchingly portrayed without compromising the beauty and yet-enduring innocence of the children.

English (86)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (89)
Wow, what can I say about this book? Nothing like I've ever read before. I need to digest it for awhile...... ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
To the girl in the pink sari
with the rainbow trim.
She stood in front of
the bright blue cage.
I have a break now.

Batuk er ung indversk stúlka sem ætti að vera að leika sér, læra og feta fyrstu skrefin út í lífið. Í stað þess er hún lokuð inni í nöturlegu búri í fátækrahverfi í Mumbai þar sem hún er neydd til að uppfylla kynlífsþarfir ókunnugra karla. Batuk spinnur upp ævintýri um silfureyga hlébarða í bláu minnisbókina sína um leið og hún segir frá botnlausri grimmd, niðurlægingu og örvæntingu með rödd barnsins sem hefur glatað sakleysi sínu.Bláa minnisbókin er áhrifamikil saga af fórnarlömbum barnamisnotkunar, saga sem nístir hjartað en vegsamar jafnframt vonina og máttinn sem býr í orðunum. Höfundurinn er læknir sem kynntist hlutskipti indverskra götubarna þegar hann var við störf í Mumbai. Sagan er skáldverk en byggir á reynslu Levine, skýrslum hans og rannsóknum.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038552871X, Hardcover)

Dear Reader:

Every now and then, we come across a novel that moves us like no other, that seems like a miracle of the imagination, and that haunts us long after the book is closed. James Levine’s The Blue Notebook is that kind of book. It is the story of Batuk, an Indian girl who is taken to Mumbai from the countryside and sold into prostitution by her father; the blue notebook is her diary, in which she recalls her early childhood, records her life on the Common Street, and makes up beautiful and fantastic tales about a silver-eyed leopard and a poor boy who fells a giant with a single gold coin.

How did Levine, a British-born doctor at the Mayo Clinic, manage to conjure the voice of a fifteen-year-old female Indian prostitute? It all began, he told me, when, as part of his medical research, he was interviewing homeless children on a street in Mumbai known as the Street of Cages, where child prostitutes work. A young woman writing in a notebook outside her cage caught Levine’s attention. The powerful image of a young prostitute engaged in the act of writing haunted him, and he himself began to write.

The Blue Notebook
brings us into the life of a young woman for whom stories are not just entertainment but a means of survival. Even as the novel humanizes and addresses the devastating global issue of child prostitution, it also delivers an inspiring message about the uplifting power of words and reading–a message that is so important to hold on to, especially in difficult times. Dr. Levine is donating all his U.S. proceeds from this book to help exploited children. Batuk’s story can make a difference.

Sincerely,

Celina Spiegel
Publisher

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:41 -0400)

Batuk, an Indian girl, is taken to Mumbai from the countryside and sold into prostitution by her father; the blue notebook is her diary, in which she recalls her early childhood, records her life on the Common Street, and makes up beautiful and fantastic tales about a silver-eyed leopard and a poor boy who fells a giant with a single gold coin.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,567,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible