Nah bei dir - Kimi ni Todoke 01 by Karuho…

Nah bei dir - Kimi ni Todoke 01 (edition 2010)

by Karuho Shiina

Info:Tokyopop (2010), Edition: 1, Broschiert, 208 pages
Collections:Read (manga & other comics), All manga & other comics
Tags:manga read in: 2012, manga: shoujo

Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, Vol. 1 by Karuho Shiina

Recently added byZaffiro, 0908Selah, JazMinderr, TeragramKlaw, yosu, tkappleton, private library, Akiyama, midorin

Shy and quiet loner, Sawako with her long dark hair and serious demeanor, earns herself the mistaken name of Sadako in junior high. Her new high school classmates think she can call ghosts or at least attract them. All but the exceptionally sweet character Kazehaya. He's the popular boy in school that everyone likes, including Sawako. When Kazehaya makes an effort to show Sawako kindness and help ease things in school, others begin to be a little nicer. Sawako is so grateful that she completely misses the crush that Kazehaya has on her. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
A very strange combination of MARS and Wallflower. The narrative is very choppy, and the girl does little to nothing while outside forces act upon her. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
Usually, slice-of-life school stories and modern-day teen romances are really, really not my cup of tea, so I'd expected to be bored to tears by this story. (I'm not even sure why I picked it up in the first place, back when I started reading it.) Instead I am completely charmed by Sawako and the others.

In this first volume, the "Oooh, my life got so much better because of wonderful Kazehaya!" can get a bit much, it's repeated so often. (Note that KimiTodo was initially supposed to be a one-shot, so chapter 0/the prologue is basically Sawako's character development, and the development of her and Kazehaya's relationship, in a nutshell, and it takes the rest of the story a little while to find its feet again.)

One thing that doesn't become super clear here, but which is one of the big reasons why I love the series as much as I do (so I want to mention it here anyway) is that as much as Sawako and Kazehaya's friendship/romance is at the centre of the narrative, her friendships with Yano and Yoshida is just as important and not somehow lesser because it's not ~true luv with the boy if her dreams~ or something like that. The girls' friendship is easily my favourite part of the series. Not that Kazehaya isn't a sweetheart; I certainly love seeing him with Sawako too. ( )
1 vote Lymsleia | Nov 15, 2012 |
I have never read a manga book before this. It seems surprising, since I watch anime and I've always been interested in the stories, but I guess I've always thought reading novels would be more satisfying. However, I'm glad I decided to read this one.

It's such a cute story. I finished this book in about three days, even during finals week. I like how the author takes time to really develop the characters and the story. It's not a fast-paced romance, where both of the main characters instantly fall for each other and can't live without each other; rather, it's more real. It's obvious that they like each other, but they don't immediately fall in love. Instead, they talk and hang out and get to know each other.

Despite the fact that this is paced slower than most stories, I still really enjoyed it. It's very funny -- some parts even had me laugh out loud. I am definitely going to read the rest of the series.

All in all, a very good introduction to the manga world. ( )
  sedelia | Aug 9, 2011 |
A very cute romance - sweet and innocent. Well written, but slowly paced. If you're looking for a story that moves along briskly or a romance that's all about the hook-up, this isn't the manga for you. This is slowly paced, so we see the characters really develop. Sawako's a cute heroine, without being sugary and obnoxious. And the friends are a hysterical bunch. Few authors can make me laugh out loud, but some of the lines in this one are great! ( )
1 vote oddbird26 | Oct 4, 2009 |
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

"Sawako Kuronuma is the perfect heroine...for a horror movie. With striking similarities to a haunting movie character--jet-black hair, sinister smile and silent demeanor--she's mistakenly called Sadako by those around her. But behind her scary facade is a very misunderstood teenager. Too shy to fit in, all she wants to do is make some friends. But when the most popular boy in class befriends her, she's sure to make more than just that--she's about to make some enemies too!"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible