Bone Deep by Bonnie Dee

Bone Deep (2005)

by Bonnie Dee

Interesting plot - but there sure were some things that happened that should have set alarms off for the people of the town - or other towns - house fires, whole blocks exploding shortly thereafter (same block that the house fire was on), family members all murdered days apart... but overall a good story ( )
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
It is 1945. Sarah is a war widow who ends up at a carnival. She goes with friends into the "freak Show" tent where she sees the tattooed man along with others. Something about the man with tattoos stays with her. Next morning, she finds him in her barn.

This story deals with prejudice in many forms. Also, abuse. Sarah sees beyond the tattoos to the human inside. Can she help her town see it before it is too late for Tom, the tattoo man?

This is a great read, and worth picking up. I got it while it was free.

4 1/2 stars from me.
  Sirsangel | Jan 17, 2015 |
This is more like 3 and half stars. Lovely and tender romance set in a small town in post second world war America. The hero, Tom, escapes from an abusive situation at a carnivale he works for where he was part of an attraction for those who were seen to be freaks due to disfigurements or disabilities. In Tom's case, he was heavily tattooed all over his body and when he ends up finds sanctuary at Sarah's farm, who is a widow who is still mourning the loss of her husband. He stays hidden due to his tattoos but both Sarah and Tom fall deeply in love despite the prejudice and distrust they both face in her community.

I found Tom to be one of the best beta heroes I've read in a long while. He was so lovely and tender and I loved how protective he was over Sarah especially due the hate they relieved due to the distrust they face. My only gripe is the ending when they both came out of a dangerous situation but it seems to dismiss there could potentially be more in the future. But overall this was a wonderful and heart-warming romance with an unusual premise! And I am all for that! ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
Once in a while a special book comes along that will touch your heart with it's poignancy and tenderness. Bone Deep is such a book for me.
It's the story of two lonely people who find each other and despite all obstacles, triumph in their love for each other.
Sarah Cassidy is a young widow whose husband was killed during WWII. While at the local carnival one evening she was talked into going into the freak show by her friends. There she saw Tom the tatooed man and felt a very puzzling yet instant attraction to him.
The next day he turns up in her barn and right away she sees past his outward appearance and into the gentle soul that he is. But together can they overcome the predjudice of the small town she resides in?
I loved the setting of this book, it's very unusual and refreshing. Sarah makes a wonderful heroine, lonely and somewhat reluctant to get involved with Tom,yet very protective of him and very aware of what people will think. Tom is a hero that lingers long after you close the last page. Gentle yet strong and damaged against his will, it's wonderful reading about his coming out of himself and slowly gaining confidence after being held a prisoner all his life.
This book has the same sort of feel as another one of my favourite books, Morning Glory by Lavryle Spencer.
I can't recommend it highly enough ( )
  dkthain | Feb 13, 2007 |

Love plumbs deep below the surface. In 1946, Sarah, a grieving war widow goes to the carnival with friends and is riveted by the tattooed man in the freak show, adorned in head to toe body art. Later she discovers the man hiding in her hayloft, escaped from imprisonment by the evil owner. She shelters Tom on her farm, fighting a powerful attraction while learning about his mysterious past and gentle nature. When a child goes missing, Tom uses his psychic gift to find her but his assistance doesn't relieve the locals' mistrust of such an exotic stranger. Small-town prejudice tears the lovers apart and a very real threat from the carnival owner endangers them. Can the lovers rise above obstacles of fear and hatred to create the family both have always craved? Revised from an earlier published edition.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible