Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Hunting ground by Patricia Briggs

Hunting ground (edition 2009)

by Patricia Briggs

2,320804,051 (4.07)102
Member:AFaith
Title:Hunting ground
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:New York : Ace Books, 2009.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:to-read, GRimport

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byprivate library, rena75, mr.wolfie

English (79)  Piratical (1)  All languages (80)
So only a month after the first book Charles and Anna are still learning about each other and the married life. They make some inroads at communication so this is good. Anna is learning she's stronger than her last pack made her think she was part of it is Charles and how he allows her to explore who she is now. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Two and a half stars again, because the plot was interesting, Charles was more developed than in the previous book, and I liked all the supporting characters (allies and villains both). I also really, really enjoyed the tie-ins to the Arthurian legends. That was entirely enjoyable.

However, having read some truly phenomenal political-intrigue-type books in the past, this one fell FAR short. We did not need most of the explanations provided for characters' motivations and why this person did that or why that other person said this other thing and why that third character over there who may or may not be a good guy behaved in such a way. Oh my god, that got tedious real quick. However, the places that didn't have an explanation were the ones I could have used. A lot of the political animosity between some of the heavier-weight Alpha werewolves felt shallow and tired. That part was disappointing.

Again, entertaining despite its shortcomings. I will be reading the next one in the series, but I seriously recommend against paying for "Hunting Ground". Go support your local library instead. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book so much more than [b:Cry Wolf|2355575|Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)|Patricia Briggs|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255713165s/2355575.jpg|2362332], which I hated. But I'm a fan of [a:Patricia Briggs|40563|Patricia Briggs|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1228867484p2/40563.jpg]' Mercy Thompson series, and a completist, so I gave it a try.

In this book Bran, in his role as Marrok, sends his second in command Charles to a conference with the alphas of the European werewolf packs to discuss what will happen when the North American werewolves announce their existence. Taking Anna and Charles away from their pack, but keeping them within a place bound by pack dynamics, did a lot to help me see them in a different way, mostly because they absolutely had to work together as relative equals. Also, having others recognize Anna for what she is, and removing her from the normal pack hierarchy instead of forcing her to conform to it the way her original pack did, was helpful both for her as a character and me as a reader. She got to navigate her own place and I got to experience her as something other than a victim.

I enjoyed learning about the European packs and their alphas. Where in North America there is only Bran as Marrok (the alpha's alpha, or lord high werewolf, if you will), in Europe there are many, and they battle amongst themselves for dominance and territory.

One of the European alphas is Arthur, who is very intrerested in King Arthur, collecting memorabilia and modeling himself after the King. He's a great guy. He's friendly, he's wonderful to his human wife, and great to his pack. I liked him. I like King Arthur, I was more than ready to like this man who wanted to be like Arthur. When his wife was murdered by vampires working for the unnamed villian, I grieved with him. And then Briggs took my love for King Arthur and for men who want to lead like him and smacked me with it. Arthur doesn't just like King Arthur, he thinks he is him reincarnated. He was responsible for the murder of his wife, and now he's after Charles and Anna. And through it all, parts of the nice guy who Anna and Charles had liked, who his wife had loved, are still visible, making this hurt all the more and be all the more entertaining to read.

I still prefer the Mercy Thompson series, but this book was so much better than Cry Wolf that I'll be willing to see where Briggs takes this series. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Hunting Ground
3 Stars

Not as good as Cry Wolf. The first half of the book is slow and boring but thankfully livens up in the second half.

Anna is still too submissive for my tastes. Despite the progress she and Charles make in Cry Wolf, they are still pussy footing around each other. She remains insecure about her role in his life and often balks at any sudden move Charles or his wolf make. As in the previous books, Anna does show a backbone at certain moments but the constant one step forward, two steps back is tedious and irritating.

Charles has incredible potential as an Alpha. Unfortunately, this is constantly undermined by behavior that is inconsistent with his characterization. For someone who is supposedly intelligent and incredibly powerful, he is too easily subdued by magic and ultimately needs to be rescued by his wife. This is an obvious ploy to strengthen Anna's character but only serves to weaken Charles.

The plot is interesting enough to keep the reader engaged, especially the detail on the dynamics between the European wolves and the clever inclusion of elements from Arthurian lore. That said, the villains are far too obvious and the resolution reeks of Deus ex Machina.

The writing is also problematic with unnecessary repetition, awkward sentence structure, incorrect use of pronouns and some confusing transitions between POVs - all of which draw the reader out of the story.

In sum, the premise of this series is good but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Sept. 2017 Audio Listen: I really loved the Audio for Hunting Ground. The male narrator, Holter Graham, is wonderful to hear. I suggest giving the Audiobook a try for the Alpha & Omega series. I felt like it was the first time reading Hunting Ground. I was surprised, excited, and felt for the characters. It was amazing!

~ 4.5 Hunting Ground Stars ~

Hunting Ground is book two in the Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs. I really love this series. This book was another amazing read.

I love how Briggs writes. It’s got this ease to it. The characters continue to grow as does the storyline. We see firsthand how Bran’s decision to bring werewolves out the public came to be and how Anna & Charles’ relationship continues to evolve.

I thoroughly enjoy Briggs werwolves and the pack dynamics. It’s fascinating. She shows us the best and worst of the shifter society from The Beast who feeds on human flesh, to Arthur who is not all their, and the Omega’s. We know that the Omega’s are a rarity, but we see that they are all very clueless about their nature and it was fun watching them full-in the blanks.

What I really LOVE about this series is Anna and Charles’ relationship. It takes center stage in this novel, even with all the weirdness going on. These two are still learning about each other, adapting. It is wonderful watching this relationship grow as well as seeing how having a mate is throwing Charles and his wolf off balance. I like that their is open communication between them and not the drama that we see a lot of in other stories.

Hunting Ground had some amazing miss directs and you don’t know who the guilty culprit(s) are until it’s revealed. I re-read this novel and I still was surprised all over again by our culprits. I liked how Briggs through in her own little spin on history with King Arthur and I also liked seeing characters from other novellas or story’s show up in books. We get to see a little of Moria & Tom. If you don’t know who they are you can find them in the novella Seeing Eye that is found in [b:Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson|20821263|Shifting Shadows Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson (Mercy Thompson #0.1, #0.6, #0.8, #1.5, #4.5, #5.5, #7.4)|Patricia Briggs|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1396635417s/20821263.jpg|26341081].

Hunting Grounds gives us a verity of supernatural creatures including; fae, vampires, and werewolves along with some interesting wolf politics, twists, and a romance that is growing. This series should be on every Urban Fantasy readers list.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
I'm not going to spend a lot of column space on [Hunting Ground]. It's more to let you know that the second "Alpha and Omega" novel is just as strong a contender as any of Briggs's previous Urban Fantasy books.

Briggs, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boo. To my home team,
who puts up with 'get your own meals',
frozen pizza, and glop so I can get the book done.
Love you all:
Michael, Collin, Amanda, and Jordan.
She observed him from her chosen cover, as she'd done twice before.

Mated to werewolf Charles Cornick, the son—and enforcer—of the leader of the North American werewolves, Anna Latham now knows how dangerous being a werewolf is, especially when a werewolf who opposes Charles and his father is struck down. Charles’s reputation makes him the prime suspect, and the penalty for the crime is execution. Now Anna and Charles must combine their talents to hunt down the real killer—or Charles will take the fall.

The Marrok has decided it is time for the werewolves to 'come out' as the fey already have. Alphas from Europe come to Seattle to discuss the issue, but deaths occur which need to be solved and righted.

"Anna Latham didn't know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son--and enforcer--of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn't know how dangerous it could be, either... Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran's controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. But the most feared Alpha in Europe is dead set against the plan--and it seems like someone else might be, too. When Anna is attacked by vampires using pack magic, the kind of power only werewolves should be able to draw on, Charles and Anna must combine their talents to hunt down whoever is behind it all--or risk losing everything..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,481,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible