Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Cover maybe done
Tags:Fic, SF, !Sale:FOAFL

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

2009 (16) 2010 (10) Alpha and Omega (73) alpha and omega series (10) ebook (21) fae (23) fantasy (132) fiction (74) Kindle (15) magic (17) mystery (8) own (9) paperback (13) paranormal (71) paranormal romance (32) patricia briggs (16) read (16) read in 2009 (9) romance (41) Seattle (11) series (32) sff (13) shapeshifters (34) supernatural (15) to-read (19) urban (13) urban fantasy (134) vampires (44) werewolves (154) witches (14)

The fact that werewolves exist is going to come out and Bran would prefer to have some control over how that plays out. In charge of the North American packs, the Marrok calls for a summit of the European packs to let them know, to hear their concerns and offer aid to get them through it. Charles convinces his father to let him and Anna go in his place as he knows his father’s life would be in danger.

The summit is hosted by the Emerald Pack and we once again get to see Moira and Tom, introduced to us in Strange Brew. We’re given a number of interesting characters. Three of note are Jean Chastel, the Beast of Gevaudan who controls all of the packs in France via fear, Arthur Madden, the British Alpha who believes he’s the reincarnation of King Arthur and Dana, the Gray Lord who will moderate the proceedings.

There’s definitely danger on a number of fronts and it’ll take a while to figure out the who is behind it and why. Anna’s relationship with Charles is still rather new and she’s intimidated by so many alphas, but she grows confidence in this story and we see just why she’s so special. And we get a different type of experience with the fae than we’ve experienced in the Mercy Thompson series.

I’ve read this book a number of times since it first came out. We learn a lot as Anna does and it’s easy to slip into her heard and feel her emotions. I love the characters and situations they find themselves in, and with hope, look forward to the day when Anna and Charles do more of a crossover with Mercy’s series. ( )
  dearheart | Mar 31, 2014 |
Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran's controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. ( )
  Talthor | Dec 31, 2013 |
This was an entertaining book. I usually like most of Patricia Briggs books. The book is full of action, throughout the whole book which makes it a quick and engaging read. I enjoyed it more than the first book. There was character development even if it was a little rushed in between all that action. The book was not phenomenal, not even really on par with the first three books in the Mercedes series, but it was a good sequel to the first book of this omega and alpha series. I will definitely be reading the next book. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 16, 2013 |
4.5 *s for this one. I still love Anna & Charles but I think I missed Bran and the others members of the pack a little bit. I love the way Briggs shows pack politics and relationships and that wasn't in this one as much as the last. Still it was a solid story and though I guessed the villain I was hoping right up until the end that I was wrong. But the strength of this series is in the growth of Anna and Charles and their relationship. I love that you find out a little more about Charles in each book. In the Mercy novels he seems so intimidating and isolated. In Hunting Ground you find that people do respect the job he has to do and they respect (and even like) Charles himself. I really liked the scene when the local Alpha grills Anna to make sure she's with Charles for the right reasons. I'm sad now that I'm caught up on both series and have to wait for the next releases. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
To read a series review of Alpha and Omega series, go to my blog; Drugs Called Books

I'm kind of mad right now because I ordered this book on Ebay, and the photo there showed the pretty cover and what I got is the UK cover. That's really annoying!

Oh, I'm still smiling broadly from that ending. This was a great, great read. I have fallen in love with both Charles and Anna, truly.
I hated the person who was the villain. I couldn't believe he did that thing to Sunny - she was so sweet, and she loved him! he was her freaking husband, for crying out loud! Makes my skin crawl and love the fact he's dead
The Fae annoyed me as hell. The reason for her doing everything... God, is she stupid? It was a gift, given in good will and she just goes and... Urg!
Anna and Charles's romance in this book was even sweeter than the first book. I really liked it, and the ending was so darn sweet.
Love this series! ( )
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
I'm not going to spend a lot of column space on [Hunting Ground]. It's more to let you know that the second "Alpha and Omega" novel is just as strong a contender as any of Briggs's previous Urban Fantasy books.

Boo, To my home team, who puts up with "get your own meals", frozen pizza, and glop so I can get the book done. Love you all: Michael, Collin, Amanda, and Jordan.
She observed him from her chosen cover, as she'd done twice before.

Mated to werewolf Charles Cornick, the son—and enforcer—of the leader of the North American werewolves, Anna Latham now knows how dangerous being a werewolf is, especially when a werewolf who opposes Charles and his father is struck down. Charles’s reputation makes him the prime suspect, and the penalty for the crime is execution. Now Anna and Charles must combine their talents to hunt down the real killer—or Charles will take the fall.

"Anna Latham didn't know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son--and enforcer--of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn't know how dangerous it could be, either... Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran's controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. But the most feared Alpha in Europe is dead set against the plan--and it seems like someone else might be, too. When Anna is attacked by vampires using pack magic, the kind of power only werewolves should be able to draw on, Charles and Anna must combine their talents to hunt down whoever is behind it all--or risk losing everything..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible