Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, ebooks, Cover maybe done
Tags:Fic, SF, !Sale:FOAFL

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

Recently added bytwinkley, heydor, rhenford, KatieJobes, ashleynicole88, private library, caderholdt, Wrenlet, carlyrose

English (68)  Piratical (1)  All languages (69)
While I enjoyed this book, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. The story was well done, and had some interesting pieces of it, but the whole story behind the Alpha and Omega and how that influences each other and the other wolves, always felt to be poorly explained. I still feel I missing a big chunk of information, to fully understand how it all works. In fact a lot of aspects of the wolves, such as their magic, has little explanation, and while I don't think it needs pages and pages of explanation, I think there needs to be something, to give the reader a better understanding on the wolves.

The characters were well done, and are well plotted out. Anna's growth is gradual, but she is definitely growing as a character, very different than the Anna first seen in the short story. I'm interested in seeing her in the next book.

Overall, a good read, but it just missed the mark for me.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Hunting Ground ( )
  bookwormjules | Feb 10, 2015 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

HUNTING GROUND had a lot of interesting morsels in it from both a mythology and a story standpoint; readers get to learn about fae, vampires and dragons (!!!), witness firsthand how Bran’s decision to bring the werewolves out to the public came to be, and observe the continuing evolution of Anna & Charles’ relationship. No author does light/dark quite like Patricia Briggs, and this audiobook really emblazoned that fact by putting these preternaturals’ best and worst qualities on display. Holter Graham’s narration continues to leave me in thrall, and the murder mystery plot line made hours of listening time feel like mere minutes. Now I understand why this series trumps MERCY THOMPSON for many.

I enjoyed being a fly on the wall at the werewolf conference; pack dynamics have always fascinated me, and the political aspects that Briggs brought to the fore were so well executed that it was impossible not to get caught-up in the discussions. This novel really showcased the best and worst of shifter society from The Beast who likes to feast on human flesh, to Arthur who obviously wasn’t playing with a full deck of cards, to Anna who’s slowly coming back from the dead. I hadn’t expected to meet another Omega already what with them being extremely rare and all, but it seems like Ric was as clueless about his nature as Latham, so it was amusing watching them attempt to fill-in the blanks together.

In spite of all of the mad goings-on in this tale, Anna & Charles still remain the driving force behind this series. I love how flawed their characters are, and how they continually adapt to each other in an effort to strengthen their mate bond. The open communication that exists between them is a breath of fresh air when compared to other couples in this genre where relationship drama has become the norm. I liked how the author added a historical element to HUNTING GROUND by putting her own werewolf spin on King Arthur, although I do wish that Latham hadn’t been coveted by yet another certifiable shifter so soon after leaving her first pack. Her kill count is staggeringly high after only two installments.

Holter Graham’s narration made an impression on me in CRY WOLF, and in this audio he went above and beyond his original performance. He demonstrated great flexibility and flair by bringing the foreign wolves to life with various accents while still staying true to the original voices of Anna & Charles, although the latter was admittedly somewhat modified. His delivery was both emotionally poignant and intense which were contributing factors to this story’s believably and further increased the purity of the characters. Graham’s inflections made the changes in POVs obvious, and I can’t wait to see what he does with FAIR GAME.

HUNTING GROUND should be on every audiobook listener’s playlist. ( )
  RabidReads | Feb 4, 2015 |
Oooh, this was so good! Action aplenty, love, mystery, friendship, and betrayal - such wonderful pillars of story does this book hold! A conference is held between the alphas of Europe and while this occurs we meet new faces - both friend and foe with mystery surrounding all. We also find the death of a lovely being, two madmen, two enchanted weapons, and three attempted kidnappings. How could this book possibly go wrong? It doesn't. And the evil within totally surprised me.
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
I love Anna and Charles!! They are one of my fav paranormal couples!! Lots of intrigue here and plenty of steamy fun scenes!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I like these almost as much...maybe more...than the Mercy Thompson books. Anna is a slightly more complex character. She has a lot more baggage. These read a lot like the Mercy books, without most of the wild action. This one dovetails neatly with the most recent Mercy book (Night Broken). They don't have to be read in order, but the events here happen before Night Broken. ( )
  lesmel | Sep 26, 2014 |
I'm not going to spend a lot of column space on [Hunting Ground]. It's more to let you know that the second "Alpha and Omega" novel is just as strong a contender as any of Briggs's previous Urban Fantasy books.

Boo, To my home team, who puts up with "get your own meals", frozen pizza, and glop so I can get the book done. Love you all: Michael, Collin, Amanda, and Jordan.
She observed him from her chosen cover, as she'd done twice before.

Mated to werewolf Charles Cornick, the son—and enforcer—of the leader of the North American werewolves, Anna Latham now knows how dangerous being a werewolf is, especially when a werewolf who opposes Charles and his father is struck down. Charles’s reputation makes him the prime suspect, and the penalty for the crime is execution. Now Anna and Charles must combine their talents to hunt down the real killer—or Charles will take the fall.

The Marrok has decided it is time for the werewolves to 'come out' as the fey already have. Alphas from Europe come to Seattle to discuss the issue, but deaths occur which need to be solved and righted.

"Anna Latham didn't know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son--and enforcer--of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn't know how dangerous it could be, either... Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran's controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. But the most feared Alpha in Europe is dead set against the plan--and it seems like someone else might be, too. When Anna is attacked by vampires using pack magic, the kind of power only werewolves should be able to draw on, Charles and Anna must combine their talents to hunt down whoever is behind it all--or risk losing everything..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,691,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible