Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

Hunting Ground (edition 2009)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Hunting Ground
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, ebooks, Cover maybe done
Tags:Fic, SF, !Sale:FOAFL, __check_cover

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

English (74)  Piratical (1)  All languages (75)
Hunting Ground
3 Stars

Not as good as Cry Wolf. The first half of the book is slow and boring but thankfully livens up in the second half.

Anna is still too submissive for my tastes. Despite the progress she and Charles make in Cry Wolf, they are still pussy footing around each other. She remains insecure about her role in his life and often balks at any sudden move Charles or his wolf make. As in the previous books, Anna does show a backbone at certain moments but the constant one step forward, two steps back is tedious and irritating.

Charles has incredible potential as an Alpha. Unfortunately, this is constantly undermined by behavior that is inconsistent with his characterization. For someone who is supposedly intelligent and incredibly powerful, he is too easily subdued by magic and ultimately needs to be rescued by his wife. This is an obvious ploy to strengthen Anna's character but only serves to weaken Charles.

The plot is interesting enough to keep the reader engaged, especially the detail on the dynamics between the European wolves and the clever inclusion of elements from Arthurian lore. That said, the villains are far too obvious and the resolution reeks of Deus ex Machina.

The writing is also problematic with unnecessary repetition, awkward sentence structure, incorrect use of pronouns and some confusing transitions between POVs - all of which draw the reader out of the story.

In sum, the premise of this series is good but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Well it took at least half of the book to get interesting. After that events were just very rushed. I liked it but didn't love it. I am definitely glad that Anna's character is getting better. I just can't stand a weak protagonist. I'll probably read the next book I really hope it is better. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
A very solid second book in a series. There is more plot, more character development, and more world building in this book. We get to move out of the small town that Anna and Charles live in to explore pack relations in Seattle. There are Fae, crazy other wolves, and different witches. Briggs does so much with this book. Anna and Charles are still getting to know each other but they are invested in being together. I really liked their interactions in this book. I did guess who the villain was early on but that did not ruin it for me and I did not guess all the villains or what they would do. I am very curious about where Briggs is going to take these characters next.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars.
  lrainey | May 4, 2016 |
Super neat story! It amazes me that every time I read a Patricia Briggs PNR, I think I have the mystery aspect figured out, but I'm ALWAYS wrong! She's exceptional at using red herrings and subtle details to keep her readers guessing. I really loved the whodunnit aspect of this book.

Her use of Seattle landmarks gave the feeling of being right there with the characters. I got a kick out of the Freemont Troll and had to go searching for a picture:

There was so much to like about this book! It was interesting to catch a glimpse into Charles' vulnerability and I like Anna more and more with each book. She's finding her footing and showing the world how courageous she really is. They are working out the kinks of their "bond," which brings a special emotional intimacy to the romance. This closeness also adds a unique element to the action/adventure scenes. The ending was really cool, but without spoiling it I can't say much more. I hope this series will be around for a long time! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Started it last night and read half of it before going to sleep. Inhaled the rest today. Fast moving story. Anna is learning more about being an Omega and learning how to be comfortable with being a werewolf. She's also learning how to trust Charles more. Looking forward to the next book!

Because its been awhile, and I think there's another coming out soon, I reread to refresh my memory. Now Tom and Moira's short story makes sense in how it fits in this world. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I'm not going to spend a lot of column space on [Hunting Ground]. It's more to let you know that the second "Alpha and Omega" novel is just as strong a contender as any of Briggs's previous Urban Fantasy books.

Briggs, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boo. To my home team,
who puts up with 'get your own meals',
frozen pizza, and glop so I can get the book done.
Love you all:
Michael, Collin, Amanda, and Jordan.
She observed him from her chosen cover, as she'd done twice before.

Mated to werewolf Charles Cornick, the son—and enforcer—of the leader of the North American werewolves, Anna Latham now knows how dangerous being a werewolf is, especially when a werewolf who opposes Charles and his father is struck down. Charles’s reputation makes him the prime suspect, and the penalty for the crime is execution. Now Anna and Charles must combine their talents to hunt down the real killer—or Charles will take the fall.

The Marrok has decided it is time for the werewolves to 'come out' as the fey already have. Alphas from Europe come to Seattle to discuss the issue, but deaths occur which need to be solved and righted.

"Anna Latham didn't know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son--and enforcer--of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn't know how dangerous it could be, either... Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran's controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. But the most feared Alpha in Europe is dead set against the plan--and it seems like someone else might be, too. When Anna is attacked by vampires using pack magic, the kind of power only werewolves should be able to draw on, Charles and Anna must combine their talents to hunt down whoever is behind it all--or risk losing everything..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,840,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible