Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

Hunting Ground (edition 2009)

by Patricia Briggs

Title:Hunting Ground
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, ebooks, Cover maybe done
Tags:Fic, SF, !Sale:FOAFL

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

English (68)  Piratical (1)  All languages (69)
Anna and Charles continue to be my favorite couple. They complement each other so well. I enjoyed the continuing evolution of their relationship. Anna continued to struggle with the after effects of the abuse she endured in her first three years as a wolf but in this book she really began to find her own true power. This Omega is one tough chick and getting quite a body count of her own. Charles was wonderfully patient, understanding and supportive as usual. I especially liked how the two of them talked to each other about things that bothered them or made them insecure. No stupid misunderstandings for the sake of plot. Anna and Charles have only been together a few months?(weeks?) but their relationship is very loving and mature. I just love these two together!

The only negative with this book is that the end felt a little rushed. There was plenty of mystery and intrigue in the first 240 pages then it felt like all of a sudden the story needed to be over RIGHT NOW. Then again, maybe that's just how wolves are. They have no past or future. The only thing that matters is the present and when mates are in danger time is of the essence.

I believe there's one more adventure left for Anna and Charles. Can't wait to see what happens to them next!

1 vote Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
While I enjoyed this book, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. The story was well done, and had some interesting pieces of it, but the whole story behind the Alpha and Omega and how that influences each other and the other wolves, always felt to be poorly explained. I still feel I missing a big chunk of information, to fully understand how it all works. In fact a lot of aspects of the wolves, such as their magic, has little explanation, and while I don't think it needs pages and pages of explanation, I think there needs to be something, to give the reader a better understanding on the wolves.

The characters were well done, and are well plotted out. Anna's growth is gradual, but she is definitely growing as a character, very different than the Anna first seen in the short story. I'm interested in seeing her in the next book.

Overall, a good read, but it just missed the mark for me.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Hunting Ground ( )
  bookwormjules | Feb 10, 2015 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

HUNTING GROUND had a lot of interesting morsels in it from both a mythology and a story standpoint; readers get to learn about fae, vampires and dragons (!!!), witness firsthand how Bran’s decision to bring the werewolves out to the public came to be, and observe the continuing evolution of Anna & Charles’ relationship. No author does light/dark quite like Patricia Briggs, and this audiobook really emblazoned that fact by putting these preternaturals’ best and worst qualities on display. Holter Graham’s narration continues to leave me in thrall, and the murder mystery plot line made hours of listening time feel like mere minutes. Now I understand why this series trumps MERCY THOMPSON for many.

I enjoyed being a fly on the wall at the werewolf conference; pack dynamics have always fascinated me, and the political aspects that Briggs brought to the fore were so well executed that it was impossible not to get caught-up in the discussions. This novel really showcased the best and worst of shifter society from The Beast who likes to feast on human flesh, to Arthur who obviously wasn’t playing with a full deck of cards, to Anna who’s slowly coming back from the dead. I hadn’t expected to meet another Omega already what with them being extremely rare and all, but it seems like Ric was as clueless about his nature as Latham, so it was amusing watching them attempt to fill-in the blanks together.

In spite of all of the mad goings-on in this tale, Anna & Charles still remain the driving force behind this series. I love how flawed their characters are, and how they continually adapt to each other in an effort to strengthen their mate bond. The open communication that exists between them is a breath of fresh air when compared to other couples in this genre where relationship drama has become the norm. I liked how the author added a historical element to HUNTING GROUND by putting her own werewolf spin on King Arthur, although I do wish that Latham hadn’t been coveted by yet another certifiable shifter so soon after leaving her first pack. Her kill count is staggeringly high after only two installments.

Holter Graham’s narration made an impression on me in CRY WOLF, and in this audio he went above and beyond his original performance. He demonstrated great flexibility and flair by bringing the foreign wolves to life with various accents while still staying true to the original voices of Anna & Charles, although the latter was admittedly somewhat modified. His delivery was both emotionally poignant and intense which were contributing factors to this story’s believably and further increased the purity of the characters. Graham’s inflections made the changes in POVs obvious, and I can’t wait to see what he does with FAIR GAME.

HUNTING GROUND should be on every audiobook listener’s playlist. ( )
  RabidReads | Feb 4, 2015 |
Oooh, this was so good! Action aplenty, love, mystery, friendship, and betrayal - such wonderful pillars of story does this book hold! A conference is held between the alphas of Europe and while this occurs we meet new faces - both friend and foe with mystery surrounding all. We also find the death of a lovely being, two madmen, two enchanted weapons, and three attempted kidnappings. How could this book possibly go wrong? It doesn't. And the evil within totally surprised me.
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
I love Anna and Charles!! They are one of my fav paranormal couples!! Lots of intrigue here and plenty of steamy fun scenes!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I'm not going to spend a lot of column space on [Hunting Ground]. It's more to let you know that the second "Alpha and Omega" novel is just as strong a contender as any of Briggs's previous Urban Fantasy books.

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boo. To my home team,
who puts up with 'get your own meals',
frozen pizza, and glop so I can get the book done.
Love you all:
Michael, Collin, Amanda, and Jordan.
She observed him from her chosen cover, as she'd done twice before.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Mass Market Paperback edition):

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental. The publisher does not have any control over and does not assume any responsibility for author or third-party websites or their content.

No part of this book may be reproduced, scanned, or distributed in any printed or electronic form without permission. Please do not participate in or encourage piracy of copyrighted materials in violation of the author's rights. Purchase only authorized editions. For information address: The Berkley Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc., 375 Hudson Street, New York, New York 10014.

PRINTING HISTORY Ace mass-market edition / September 2009.

If you purchased this book without a cover, you should be aware that this book is stolen property. It was reported as 'unsold and destroyed' to the publisher, and neither the author nor the publisher has received any payment for this 'stripped book.'

The snail mail addresses are given for various Penguin offices in this order: USA, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, India, New Zealand, and South Africa.

BOOK ADS IN THE BACK (except for the last, all for Ms. Briggs): p. 287, Silver Bourne; p. 288, the Mercy Thompson series to Bone Crossed; p. 289, the Alpha and Omega series to Hunting Ground; p. 290, 5 non-series books; and p. 291, 12 'dark fantasy and urban noir' authors are suggested in this order: left column, Patricia Briggs, Simon R. Green, Jim Butcher, Kat Richardson; middle column, Karen Chance, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Rachel Caine, Glen Cook; right column, Anne Bishop, Janine Cross, Sarah Monette, & Douglas Clegg.

Mated to werewolf Charles Cornick, the son—and enforcer—of the leader of the North American werewolves, Anna Latham now knows how dangerous being a werewolf is, especially when a werewolf who opposes Charles and his father is struck down. Charles’s reputation makes him the prime suspect, and the penalty for the crime is execution. Now Anna and Charles must combine their talents to hunt down the real killer—or Charles will take the fall.

The Marrok has decided it is time for the werewolves to 'come out' as the fey already have. Alphas from Europe come to Seattle to discuss the issue, but deaths occur which need to be solved and righted.

"Anna Latham didn't know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son--and enforcer--of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn't know how dangerous it could be, either... Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran's controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. But the most feared Alpha in Europe is dead set against the plan--and it seems like someone else might be, too. When Anna is attacked by vampires using pack magic, the kind of power only werewolves should be able to draw on, Charles and Anna must combine their talents to hunt down whoever is behind it all--or risk losing everything..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

106 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,918,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible