Batman: Dead White by John Shirley

Batman: Dead White

by John Shirley

Series: Batman

In three words: Not Quite Batman

What I liked: The story, once it got started, was interesting if a bit predictable. The author manages to get over the jarring sensation I usually get when you mix superheroes with realistic issues, such as drug-running and racism, without making too many bumps along the way.

What I disliked: The author spends a bit too much time, for my tastes anyway, on original characters rather than on the titular character. Most annoying, however, is that this novel is ostensibly in the Nolanverse timeline, yet neither Alfred nor Batman sound anything like the versions of the characters from the film. To make matters worse, there are a few moments where it didn't seem like I was reading a Batman story at all. Many things he does seem out of character for the Caped Crusader.

In the end: The book surprised me a bit. I wasn't expecting a literary masterpiece going into it, but it proved an entertaining enough read. ( )
  cyafer | Mar 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345479440, Mass Market Paperback)

Who better than Batman to protect the dangerous city of Gotham, where even the cops are crooks? But the latest imminent terror might be too much for the burgeoning Caped Crusader, who is still carving out a place for himself in the minds of Gotham’s criminals.

There’s a host of deadly new weapons in Batman’s glittering, sinister city–in the hands of a psychotic mastermind called White Eyes. With his radical murder machine, the fiendish leader of Gotham’s racist Bavarian Brotherhood can move beyond dealing drugs and hot guns to pursue his real passion: the white supremacist takeover of America.

The homegrown terrorists’ first strike–at the heart of our nation’s capitol–is only weeks away. But first they’ll test out their killer toys on Batman, who is hot on the trail of White Eyes and his brutal militia. Ounce for ounce, muscle for muscle, Batman’s no match for the cunning villain and his wicked new firepower. At least, that’s how White Eyes sees it.

Batman has other ideas . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

The Dark Knight takes on his ultimate enemy, a psychotic mastermind called White Eyes, who plans to use a host of deadly new weapons, along with his allies, Gotham's racist Bavarian Brotherhood, to pursue his goal of the white supremacist takeover of America.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,738,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible