The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend…

The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear

by Ralph Keyes

An interesting peek into the psychology of writing. Keyes argues that the best writers are the best because they don't let fear stop them from an honest and unflinching exploration of their world.
1 vote alsatia | May 11, 2013 |
lots of quotes from authors, interesting look at the craft; the concept of courage can easily transcend to other goals ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
I thought I'd read this in college, but if I did, I retained none of it. Maybe I just needed to wait for the right time to read it. I read this book right after I read Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, and the combination was just what I needed to get me to start writing again (other than reviews on Goodreads, comments on Facebook, and nightly journal entries). I found it so encouraging to read about the writing habits and motivations of other writers. When I took up my notebook to start writing last night after the baby was asleep, I was able to recognize the jitters for what they were and not let them stop me from putting pen to paper. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 31, 2012 |
Really gets to the heart of the matter as to why writing can be so terrifying ... and ways this fear can be overcome. ( )
  CynDaVaz | Dec 30, 2010 |
The best book I've ever read on writing. It ignores the unimportant stuff and cuts to the heart of what blocks writers: fear, anxiety, and apprehension. A must read for writers looking for encouragement. ( )
1 vote johnstonp | Oct 3, 2008 |

Katherine Anne Porter called courage "the first essential" for a writer. "I have to talk myself into bravery with every sentence," agreed Cynthia Ozick, "sometimes every syllable." E. B. White said he admired anyone who "has the guts to write anything at all."An author who has taught writing for more than thirty years, Ralph Keyes assures readers that anxiety is felt by writers at every level and can be harnessed to produce honest and disciplined work., Keyes offers specifics on how to make the best use of writers' workshops and conferences and how to handle criticism of works in progress; he also exposes the most common "false fear busters" (needing new equipment, a better setting, a new agent). Throughout, he includes the comments of many accomplished writers--Pat Conroy, Amy Tan, Rita Dove, Isabel Allende, and others--on how they transcended their own anxieties to produce great works.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:46 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,111,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible