Blinking with Fists: Poems by Billy Corgan

Blinking with Fists: Poems

by Billy Corgan

196260,038 (2.79)2

I didn’t expect this to be good, but holy jemoses is it bad. On the back cover the blurb says that these poems “further solidify Corgan’s place as the voice of a generation.” I’m not sure anything sadder has ever been written—sad that someone would be dumb enough to make the claim, sadder still if it’s true. You could walk into a local junior high, steal a 7th grade girl’s notebook, and find better poetry under her little heart-dotted i’s.

A taste:

The indecision speaks volumes for all to hear
I clear all paths before me
Thinking in time, without a worrying mind
That I will come to a place of rest
A last caress, perhaps of chance
My hand on your belly, I softly begin to sing
Li-lo, li-lo, li-lo
Pulling from you what little I need
Freeze the moment, make it last
What you have can never rush past

For fuck’s sake.
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
A friend gave this to me and my roommate as a sort of joke birthday gift (we reminesce about being teenage, aaand the Pumpkins are touring here in October, and we almost want to go for the opening band explosions in the sky but...). It made me laugh all night at work. The rhyme scheme and deliberately childish onomatopoeiaic (sp?) diction gets old quickly, and as expected there's quite a lot of cages involved. Most poems can be distilled into "consider this beautiful or happy thing or image--now I have to remind you it will actually DESTROY!!!!!000!!11" etc etc ad infinitum. Though I will admit there was a line or two I actually appreciated, for realz.
  ifjuly | Sep 5, 2007 |

The hit poetry collection from the creative force behind The Smashing Pumpkins

Having risen to fame during the grunge era in the early nineties, Billy Corgan is among the most respected figures of the alternative rock world—a visionary artist who, more than a decade later, still commands a devoted following. Long admired for his evocative songwriting, Corgan embarks on a deeper exploration of literary terrain as a poet. Full of “the regretful melancholy of his music [and] the rhythmic, angular wordplay of his best Pumpkins lyrics” (Jeff Vrabel, Chicago Sun-Times), the poems in this collection form an imagistic journey through the intensely personal as Corgan throws into sharp relief issues of love, loss, identity, and loyalty. Crafted with a thoughtful and cadenced approach that shares the same allegiance to thunder and quiet found in his music, these writings further solidify Corgan’s place as the voice of a generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

Poems by the singer, songwriter, and founder of the Chicago band, The Smashing Pumpkins.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,351,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible