Best of Bloopers by Kermit Schafer

Best of Bloopers

by Kermit Schafer

This aging collection of descriptions of television and radio broadcast mistakes is fairly humorous, but would probably be more enjoyable as a video collection than a book. It didn't help that I was unfamiliar with most of the hosts, announcers and shows described, and that the vernacular has changed quite a bit since this was written. In fact, the subtitle, featuring the word "boners" to describe the gaffes is proof of that. One sentence sums up this offering; "I guess you had to be there." ( )
  EmScape | Sep 7, 2013 |
Cute, pretty dated at this point, but some fun classic TV blooper humor. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 14, 2011 |
This hardcover book was published in 1973 and features a collection of bloopers from TV and radio. I was thrilled to discover two of these blooper books for 40-cents each at the Phoenix VNSA sale; I collect books on bloopers and own a battered paperback of Schafer's 1963 book, Super Bloopers. It turned out that part of that volume was included in the Best of Bloopers, but I won't complain. They are great to read over and over again. Some of them are raunchy and profane by modern standards, so I can only imagine the shock they caused in the 1950s-1970s.

Some examples:

The disc jockey of radio station KOLO, Reno, Nevada, announced the next number to be played on his program: "A Hard Man is Good to Find."

"We will return to the story of the Seven Dwarfs after a pause for a short message."

ANNOUNCER: "This portion of 'Rawhide' brought to you by Vaseline Petroleum Jelly!" ( )
  ladycato | Mar 10, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible