The Shangri-La Diet: The No Hunger Eat…

The Shangri-La Diet: The No Hunger Eat Anything Weight-Loss Plan

by Seth Roberts

As a lot of people mentioned, you don't need to buy the book to get the diet plan. It's pretty simple and explained on the author's website. The book was mostly background on how Roberts got the idea, what he did to test it, and dieter testimonials. All in all, it was an interesting read. I admire Roberts' ability to think outside the box. If the testimonials are to be believed, this diet could be a magic bullet.I don't believe in magic, unfortunately. I will try out the ideas and see what happens. It's not risky and the premise appeals to my supremely lazy attitude. I can't rate the book higher than three stars until I know if it actually delivers on its claim. The three stars reflect an easy to read book that clearly leads you through its ideas. Whether or not you believe any of it along the way is another thing. ( )
  autieri | Jun 20, 2012 |
I heard about the Shangri-La diet in an odd way - from reading another diet book! The author mentioned that she didn't understand why, but taking a spoonful of oil, or sugar water, works for her when her appetite starts to get out of hand. I was intrigued and purchased this book.

Roberts diet is simple: Take one tablespoon of extra light olive oil (or sugar water) several times a day, in the middle of a 2 hour time-frame when you do not eat anything else. It will suppress your appetite so you can eat less food. (Of course, you have to eat quite a bit less to make up for the extra calories in the oil.)

I've tried this for the past few days and it does seem to suppress the appetite. (Extra virgin olive oil does not seem to work, however. It needs to be extra-light.) Only time will tell if it will work for me long-term.

The dieter does need to make a conscious effort to eat less, and only eat when genuinely hungry. If you still continue to eat for emotional reasons, or eat mindlessly, the results will not be as great. It seems like it will work best if you are already trying to lose weight.

Read this book if you are intrigued by this unusual diet. The book explains the facts behind the method, and lists many 'extra credit' methods to lose weight even faster.

This could be the end of uncontrollable hunger and obsessions about food! ( )
2 vote BookAngel_a | Feb 16, 2011 |
Well, on the bright side, his "diet" plan probably won't do you any harm unless you have blood sugar issues. Essentially, it's a short book (150 half size pages) that suggests if you eat flavorless foods (olive oil or sugar-water) you'll lower your body's set point and ultimately loose weight without having to restrict your food intake

Roberts' proof? Oh... it worked for him... and for dozens of people who posted on his Blog site. Yup, that's his proof. And we all know the what gets posted on the internet (and, by the way, how many "this diet didn't work" posting were NOT put into the "evidence" locker?)

Does it work? Who knows? Perhaps it does - some people say it worked for them - but it's just as likely that those who followed this diet just become more aware of their food choices and that is what works for them (and, while the book pretends the diet advice requires only sugar water and oil to work, about 1/3 of the book focuses on "anti-processed food" dieting).

First: is the weight loss evidence legit (blog evidence only)?
Second: if there is weight loss, is it due to his plan, or because people who follow it are avoiding other foods because they're drinking sugar water or oil instead of their usual snack (120 calories of oil has a LOT fewer calories than a 260 calorie chocolate bar)?

We certainly don't find out in this evidence-free book. ( )
  crazybatcow | May 18, 2009 |
Seth Roberts is a strange man but his book has raised some questions marks around the world. Why his theory make sense? You have to read his book to decide for yourself. It does make sense to me but again, might be because I'm french and his theory was discovered while vacationing in Paris... ( )
  labelleaurore | Mar 5, 2008 |
This was a bunch of fluff and feathers. I'm sure Mr. Roberts is laughing all the way to the bank. What he tried to pass off as research wouldn't withstand a great deal of scrutiny. The basic premise is that by drinking sugar water and light olive oil you can condition your body, like Pavlov's dog, and trick it into losing weight while you eat whatever. This guy has probably got a bridge for sale. ( )
  varielle | Dec 14, 2007 |

Psychologist and professor Seth Roberts has spent years analyzing why most diets don't work. A maverick with a curious mind, and a yen for self-experimentation, he started by asking a simple question most experts haven't tackled: What makes us feel hungry in the first place?

After scouring the scientific literature and tirelessly testing various theories and practices, Roberts hit upon a simple, effective strategy for controlling the body's internal "set point"- that is, the thermostat that controls weight gain or loss. The solution was counterintuitive: By taking two daily servings of either extra-light olive oil or plain sugar water, he took control of his appetite, with astonishing results. Roberts lost thirty-five pounds in only three months, and he has kept it off for five years. Since then, others have replicated these results, and formal clinical trials will soon be under way.

With the publication of this unique and groundbreaking book, Seth Roberts's program will be available to anyone who wants to lose weight-a little or a lot-and keep it off. The Shangri-La Diet includes specific instructions for tailoring the program for individual needs and goals, as well as expert tips, variations, success stories, and an illuminating explanation of how Roberts devised the diet and why it works so well.

A diet program simple enough for anyone to try, The Shangri-La Diet has the potential to radically change the way we think about weight loss-and deliver remarkably easy, sustainable results.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:14 -0400)

Psychologist and nutritionist Roberts has spent years analyzing why most diets don't work. He started by asking the simple question: What makes us feel hungry in the first place? After scouring the scientific literature and testing various theories and practices, he hit upon a strategy for controlling the body's internal "set point"--that is, the thermostat that controls weight gain or loss. The solution was counterintuitive: by taking two daily servings of either extra-light olive oil or plain sugar water, he took control of his appetite. He lost 35 pounds in three months, and has kept it off for five years. Since then, others have replicated these results. This book includes specific instructions for tailoring the program for individual needs and goals, as well as expert tips, variations, success stories, and an explanation of how Roberts devised the diet and why it works so well.--From publisher description.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,008,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible