Monstruck Madness by Laurie McBain

Monstruck Madness (edition 1977)

by Laurie McBain

141785,024 (3.55)1 / 4
Member:LoreleiOrion
Title:Monstruck Madness
Authors:Laurie McBain
Info:Avon (1977), Mass Market Paperback

Moonstruck Madness by Laurie McBain

[b:Moonstruck Madness|10762173|Moonstruck Madness (Dominick, #1)|Laurie McBain|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1399137803s/10762173.jpg|688322] begins on the battlefield at Culloden where our heroine, a young girl named Sabrina, has just seen her clan and grandfather cut down by Redcoats. Sabrina and her siblings are half-English, and they flee the Highlands to one of their deadbeat father's abandoned holdings in England. O tiger's heart wrapp'd in a woman's hide! Without a means to support themselves, Sabrina takes to the road disguised as a highwayman calling herself Bonnie Charlie. I quite liked Sabrina through the first part of the book. She was a sort of Robin Hood, stealing from the rich and gluttonous to support her family and less fortunate on their land. She was brave and daring and witty. Beware the fury of a patient man. -John Dryden Sabrina meets her match when she holds up our hero, the scarred Duke of Camareigh, Lucien. Lucien is not a man to be trifled with and he vows revenge and means to have it. Given the origins of this relationship, you know its destined to be tumultuous. The ups and downs were abundant, and I think our couple may have hated each other more than they loved each other. It got to be a tad overmuch before the end of the story and I lost a lot of respect for Sabrina. Her obstinate behavior overpowered her admirable qualities.

That being said, the story had some lovely secondary characters. Sabrina's siblings were endearing, as was their doddering aunt with dementia. Charlie's partners-in-crime were two brothers, great hulking country brutes that were very good-natured. Then you had some good villainous characters in Sabrina's fortune-hunting father and the duke's cousins after his inheritance. So I liked all of those aspects of the story. There were some times where it felt like I was reading in fast forward, where the writing could have slowed down and provided more details.

This story was originally released in 1977, and I am a sucker for these old school romances. While I wouldn't put this one on par as one of my favorites, it was still nice to see a the plot hills and valleys to keep the story going. 3.5 stars / 2 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Moonstruck Madness by Laurie McBain is a 1977 Avon Publication.

When I noticed a couple of Laurie McBain's books were up for review on Netgalley, I didn't hesitate to request them. I am thrilled to see some of these books are being released in digital format. However, when I started on “Chance the Winds of Fortune”, I realized the book was the second in the series. I didn't see the first book up for review, so I went into my vintage and collectable bookshelf to see, if by some minor miracle, I had a copy of this book. Being a big fan of Laurie's I did keep many of her books, so I was relieved to discover that I did still have a copy. YAY!

Written way back in the late 70's, this book might be tossed into the 'bodice ripper' category, but frankly, I didn't feel that way about it. Yes, there are some uncomfortable treatments of women, but despite what many would like to believe, these depictions were accurate and true to the time period.
Other than that, this book is pretty much a standard historical romance for the time frame it was written in.

Sabrina has left her beloved Highlands of Scotland for England with her aunt, sister and young brother. They are not well off, and Sabrina takes part and even devises some dangerous stunts in order to keep her family afloat, until she crosses the Duke of Camareigh, who puts her little enterprise out of business. In order to survive, Sabrina will have to escape her father's plans for her, which leads her right back into the arms of Lucien Dominick.

I loved this story! It's a real classic and is tame enough that modern readers will find it just as enjoyable now as romance lovers did when the book was first published. Sabrina is bold, daring, and a woman who doesn't give up without a fight. I loved her determination, her cleverness, and her fiery passion.

Lucien was absolutely hilarious most of time, as the author depicted him so authentically. He is haughty, arrogant, and manipulative too, but his punishment is having to deal with Sabrina, the love of his life, who always keeps him begging for more.

The secondary characters were also key in this story and give it a very tiny paranormal element as well. There is lots of action, adventure, drama, and emotions in this one, and the writing is simply wonderful. When I read these older books, and find myself swept away , so immersed in another world, never wanting the story to end, I can start to feel a little wistful, wishing there were more books like these being written in present day. Thankfully, a publisher has seen the worthiness of these novels and are reissuing them, breathing new life into them, so that hopefully, a whole new generation will come to love these classics too. 5 stars! ( )
  gpangel | Oct 12, 2015 |
Amongst the better bodice rippers, in that there isn't any rape.
The writing is a bit awkward in places, and the plot feels rather rushed. But there is a great deal more plot than you usually find in these types of books - which is why Laurie McBaine is attributed with having created the modern romance novel. Instead of the Georgette Heyer romantic comedy or the Bronte tragedy...McBaine writes an adventure romance - with the heroine masquerading as a highwayman, and a search for treasure.

The misunderstanding between the hero and heroine goes on for a bit too long...and the hero is a bit of a jerk, but still more likable then most.

Also the language used is less flowery and a bit less over the top than McBain's contemporaries. The interesting bit about McBain - is she only wrote 7 novels, and at the height of her success, she retired.
Coincidentally, her father died shortly before her retirement and it may well be attributed to his death - since he also encouraged her to write and publish them.

cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
This was the first romance novel I ever read (back in the late 70's as a teenager) and it forever got me hooked on good escapist romance tales. If your job/career deals with a lot of thinking and mental acrobatics, then nothing is better than a well-written, fun tale which reading helps to take your mind off of other stresses. Plausible tale? Of course not. Just good fun if you like romance noves? Of course. ( )
  Lisa_Wojcik49 | Nov 7, 2012 |
First published in 1977, Moonstruck Madness by Laurie McBain is a newly released February 1st, 2011 novel of intrigue, and romance. It reminded me of the books I read at that time by authors Kathleen Woodwiss, Rosemary Rogers and Rebecca Brandewyne. A historical romance with engaging characters, that draws you right into the story. Sabrina along with her sister Mary, Aunt Margaret and brother Richard fled from Scotland to England after their grandfather died in the Battle of Culloden. Sabrina is a modest Lady during the day but at night, along with two men from the village they live in, she becomes Bonnie Charlie and they rob the rich so that they can survive. Not a safe profession by any means but Sabrina does what she has to do until she comes face to face with one of the victims of their robberies. Lucien, Duke of Camareigh, is determined to find this nightly bandit and bring him to justice. Then into the story comes Sabrina's, Mary's and Richard's father. The Marquis and his new wife are in need of money so they plan on parading Sabrina and Mary in front of eligible rich men so that they can secure their financial future with an advantageous marriage for both girls. He has not been a part of the siblings lives in over a decade and the siblings have no choice but do what he wants, for now. This novel is full of the history of England and Scotland in the mid 1700's, romance, deception and greed. A fast paced novel and if you want to read a good old fashioned romance you can't go wrong with this one. I enjoyed reading this book and recommend it. ( )
  celticlady53 | Feb 26, 2011 |
For Nancy Coffey, my editor, with deepest appreciation
A northeast wind blowing rain and sleet welcomed the early morning watchers on the hill, their cloaked figures cowering together in vain for protection from the cold, penetrating wetness that seeped through to the skin.

In the blazing age of Scottish highwaymen, beautiful, aristocratic Lady Sabrina Verrick falls in among rogues and assassins to defend her home... thwart her father's cruelty... and to quell her own irresistible passion for Lucien Dominick, Duke of Camareigh--whose bold daring must conquer her and unite them in a sweet, burning and everlasting love!

Bold desire

By day she was Lady Sabrina Verrick, exquisite belle of high society. By night she was a criminal, Bonnie Charlie, the lawless highwayman whose notoriety rang the length and breadth of 18th century England.

Ruthless love

Wounded and on the run, hunted like an animal through the night, Sabrina's wild career drove her at last into the power of one man who was not afraid to tame her. Brutal, arrogant, he would hurt her, betray her, subdue her free spirit - but never admit that he loved her... Moonstruck Madness.

Young noblewoman Sabrina Verrick risks everything to don the mask of a highwayman to fight for her homeland. But when a duel with a dashing duke leaves her wounded, she'll be forced to defend her heart as well.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,376,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible