Farm Boy by Michael Morpurgo

Farm Boy (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Michael Morpurgo

Member:brangwinn
Title:Farm Boy
Authors:Michael Morpurgo
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Hardcover, 128 pages
Collections:PSC Review copies
Rating:**1/2

Farm Boy by Michael Morpurgo (1997)

A quick read and a more full ending to War Horse. I enjoyed the interview with Michael Morpurgo at the end of the book as well. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I had high hopes for thsi book, the sequel to WAR HORSE, but found myself mired in trying to figure out that grandpa was really the son of Albert in the book. Yes, it is explained but I still struggled. It does bring closure to Joey's life after World War II but the story is slight. American readers will get confused with some of the Britishisms in the story and when the narrator (Albert's great grandson) teaches his grandpa to read, the story that Grandpa wrote can be challening to read. The reader will have to read the sentence with Id in it twice to realize it is I'd. I love Morpurgo's books, but this one isn't his best. ( )
  brangwinn | Jan 10, 2013 |
For years Joey was a war horse, pulling ambulance carts and artillery through the battlefields of World War I. Finally he returned to Albert and the farm. Now, decades later, Albert's son loves to tell his own grandson stories about the remarkable horse, including its feats in the war and of the time the family risked everything betting that Joey could win a daring race. ( )
  prkcs | Aug 17, 2012 |
A sequel to War Horse. The Grandfather's tale of his younger life on the farm with Joey and Zoey his farm horses. A good gentle read. ( )
  AngieMargi | May 22, 2012 |
Not bad, per se, but disappointing. When you market a book as the sequel to something, readers generally expect them to be similar: to have the same air about it. This book was obviously for a different age demographic, had a vastly different writing style, and if MM hadn't specifically stated the characters were the same from the first book, I wouldn't have had known in; the characters of Joey and Albert were very flat. I would have liked it a lot better if it hadn't raised my hopes about it being a follow-up to one of my favorite books. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 8, 2012 |

Set on a farm in rural Devon, Farm Boy is a collection of Grandpa's reminiscences and stories touchingly told to his grandson. Superbly told by a master storyteller and stunningly illustrated by Michael Foreman -- an exquisite book. Joey was the last working horse on the farm, and the apple of Grandpa's eye. In War Horse, published twelve years ago, Joey was sent away from the farm to be a warhorse in WWI. Grandpa had joined the cavalry in order to find, and fight, with Joey. Farm Boy brings us forward fifty years with Grandpa not only telling his grandson, Joey's story but also a 'shameful secret' which he has held for years -- Grandpa has never learned to read and write. The story is set in Iddesleigh in Devon and lovingly evokes the bonds between farm and farmer; grandson and grandfather. The spirit of rural life is superbly captured in both Michael Morpurgo's writing and Michael Foreman's illustrations. An irresistable title from acclaimed author-illustrator partnership. The title was first published in full colour by Pavilion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:53 -0400)

For years Joey was a war horse, pulling ambulance carts and artillery through the battlefields of World War I. Finally he returned to Albert and the farm. Now, decades later, Albert's son loves to tell his own grandson stories about the remarkable horse, including its feats in the war and of the time the family risked everything betting that Joey could win a daring race.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,121,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible