My Daughter's Eyes and Other Stories by…

My Daughter's Eyes and Other Stories (2007)

by Annecy Bez

This could have benefitted from some tighter and cleaner editing, but otherwise this short story collection captures the angst of growing up as teenage girls in the Bronx (late '60s and 70s) and pushing against the confines of their Dominican culture's traditional values. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
My Daughter's Eyes and Other Stories by Annecy Baez

A book of 17 short stories, My Daughter's Eyes, takes the reader from the very young age of our main character throughout, Mia, to her life three decades later when she is married and raising a daughter of her own.
Each story is about a different part of Mia's life although not necessarily from a different period of her life. They are all told in a very intimate manner which at times made this reader a bit uncomfortable but all are very well told.
There is a great deal of the preteen and teenage angst & rebellion within the covers of this book. But it is quite different than the stories written about Americanized youth of the same ages which made it a rather fascinating read. There is something very real about these stories and although this is a piece of fiction there is no doubt that a great deal is based on the author's life in one way or another.
I found it to be very interesting, enlightening in as far as the Dominican culture is described and I recommend it to those of you who are not put off by the unsavory details of real life. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Sep 15, 2013 |
"There are a lot of shoulds
that happen in this world,
which means there are a lot
of things
that happen
that shouldn't have..."

from: The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
Para
Mami y Papi
Missing your presence here on earth
In the morning when the sun rises, my mother, Mia wakes up and does her morning meditation.

My Daughter's Eyes and Other Stories, winner of the 207 Marmol Prize, is a collection of fourteen interrelated stories about young Dominican women living in the Bronx as they deal with the choices they make in their everyday life. These stories span three decades, beginning in the 1970s, and their topics range from mother-daughter struggles, father-daughter betrayal, family, child abuse, to emerging sexuality, love, loss, and healing. Baez's daring treatment of tabooed themes such as sexual child abuse, and the struggle of the individual against restrictive traditional values make this book unique among Dominican fiction.

"A collection of fourteen interrelated stories about young Dominican women living in the Bronx as they deal with the choices they make in their everyday life"--Cover p. [4].

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,875,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible