The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden…

The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for… (original 1999; edition 2010)

by Brian Greene

7,18565764 (3.97)1 / 144
Member:aagbay
Title:The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory
Authors:Brian Greene
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2010), Edition: 2, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene (1999)

English (62)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (65)
(Original review, 2001)

The Kabbalah also describes 10 dimensions and beings that inhabit them. Perhaps these beings are real and at certain levels of dimensional perception they have already seen and experienced these advancements in human history like a child being taught 2+2 to the wave compilation of an electron Y=h/mc = 2.43*10-12m.

Mathematics, My Daddy says is simply a game or a toy for the mind. I enjoy playing with math though I truly know now that it is not Universal Knowledge. Mathematics is like some sports. It brings Me fun and excitement. Sometimes I get low scores and I feel sad, but My Daddy simply tells Me that if I want to perfect the exams, I have to study harder. As you all can see, all the so called greatest mathematicians and scientists and physicists humans' scholars humans gave so much high regards to have immediately realized that all those books and all those studies and all those "humans once thought of as knowledge" became child's play if not garbage right upon My Daddy revealed this Universal Truth and Knowledge. Literally speaking, humans are among the most primitive civilizations in The Universe and yet we humans are very arrogant, sinful and blasphemous because we, humans do not know any better.

The numbers below show and reveal the absolute humans' ignorance of The Universe: here on earth, humans' system of #counting #interpreting Time is by almost literally "counting" the tiks and the toks of our grandma's clocks:

a #millisecond timer counts from 0 to 1000 in 1 second.
a #nanosecond timer counts from 0 to 1000000 in 1 second.
a #picosecond timer counts from 0 to 1000000000 in 1 second

Humans' degrees of comprehension can only barely grasp what a picosecond is. This is the very reason why humans have so much avoided putting mass(m) on Time(t) because if that were so, and truly IT IS, mathematics would be useless as an old garbage program or application. So they humans began fooling themselves falsely thinking that they humans have been acquiring knowledge while truly what they have been acquiring and feeding their minds with are to the letter, garbage. THE UNIVERSE deals with Time as events, and with it, mass, energy, velocity, speed, and acceleration and everything. Each one, IS unique.

NVMEsecond is 1 second divided by 1 x 10 raised to the exponent 666.
NVMElightyear is 1 Lightyear multiplied by 1 x 10 raised to the exponent 666.

NVMEparticles are subsubatomic particles with lives half-lives ranging within trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth...... of a trillionth of a NVMEsecond. They interconnect each and everything in The Universe. The Universal Internet. These particles are seemingly like "very tiny bubbles" connected to each and everything. Serving as Time Timers Transmission Mediums, these particles burst (in series) into tinier smaller particles. A Universal Timer Counter that can count 9999999999999999999 x 1 x 10 raised to the exponent 99999999999999999 within very small fraction of a NVMEsecond. Signals or information from 9999999999999999999999999 billion different star systems from 9999999999999999999999999 billion different super clusters 9999999999999999999999999 NVMElightyears apart are being transceived to and fro within small fractions of NVMEsecond.

How does someone describe, something - that we haven't developed a language for, so that we CAN describe it.
===
We start with 27 dimensions - of creation.
Outside creation we have some dimensions … that are born (not created).
These dimensions … contain .. what is needed - for the created dimensions (so that they can exist).
===
In the these dimensions ... every particle is … omnipresent (Read: infinity speed).
This .. is not: x=(a number) .. but .. f(x,l)=a result (that contains many different things). Among them - time (both movement and dimensions).
It also contains :
- The ability for life.
- The ability to create.
- The ability for "producing energy" (The emptiness between the rings).
(The energy is not produced, in the manner we use it, in "the daily
language", but as a result of two waves - "gathering mass", so that they can
become a wave.
"The Vacuum" between the waves - "becomes energy"
#####
[Read the beginning again: I said that we didn't have developed a language for this, yet.]
#####
- f(x,l) means here: function of (x=mass) and (l=liquid).
So … a "function of mass, liquid" - is OUR beginning .. LEADING to - the understanding
of the foundation … for creation.
...Then we can see:
-- Every star (included our sun), "plays" - "its own melody".
.....As long as the melody … is unchanged ... the star is "healthy".
.....When the melody changes - the star, starts "to die".
.....Through the understanding of string theory - this melody can be "repaired", so
........string theory may be a kind of "medical science" - in THIS context.
===
This is a simplified version, of a description - of what string theory might be.
The function … contains many more elements than mentioned here.
The main point, with this simplified explanation - is to show the possibility
for that we must look at string theory - in perception wider than
"x=(a number)".

NB: Amongst other things, I didn't appreciate how he glossed over the Kaluza-Klein theory; how it tied in with Einstein &; String-theory. Kaluza & Klein formulated GR in 5 dimensions & Electromagnetism, Maxwell’s equations simply fall out of the theory. This was the tie to String Theory which also encompasses both theories as Maxwell’s equations have already been unified with the rest minus GR in the standard model. ( )
  antao | Oct 18, 2018 |
Good but not gripping. Sometimes the analogies were not all that helpful and seemed to take a lot of time for little explanatory power, but on the whole still plenty to learn from listening to the book. ( )
  TravbudJ | Sep 15, 2018 |
Complessivamente un buon libro di divulgazione,che si occupa di teoria delle stringhe in maniera comprensibile,lasciando alle note alcune considerazioni più matematiche.Fa emergere anche la passione dei fisici teorici che si cimentano in questa branca della fisica.Manca di obiettività,essendo stato scritto da un fisico che si occupa di teoria delle stringhe e non presenta un punto di vista oggettivo sulla mancanza di evidenze sperimentali,ad esempio.Lettura consigliata. ( )
  AlessandraEtFabio | Dec 22, 2017 |
At long last I have finished this book. It took me a long time to read it, not because I didn't find it interesting, but because I needed to have periods of uninterrupted time to read and absorb the information. Uninterrupted time seemed to be at a premium this spring.

However, having read it, I believe I can say I understand string theory a little bit whereas, before I read it, I had barely even heard of string theory. Dr. Greene's illustrations and examples helped a lot to make a rather arcane subject comprehensible. One example, though, really jarred me. On page 264 he is talking about wormholes and uses the idea of a bridge between the World Trade Centre Towers to illustrate the concept. Of course, this was written before 9/11 but it occurred to me that the terrorists really chose their target well when it is used even in a scientific text to illustrate something of massive size.

Dr. Greene is obviously that rarest of scientists i.e. someone who can explain their specialty in terms a novice can easily understand.

Having said all this, a part of me still wonders if string theory isn't some giant hoax foisted on us by physicists who sit around and laugh uproariously at how gullible we are. I work in biochemistry research and I'm used to not seeing the particles I work with (enzymes) but at least we can perform experiments which show reactions in the presence of and in the absence of the particles and thereby demonstrate that there is a difference. String theorists seem mostly to manipulate equations and then say they prove what they set out to prove. It's a little too esoteric for my liking. I'll stick to biochemistry. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 25, 2017 |
Brian Greene has a knack for image and metaphor, which makes his explanations of superstring theory and symmetry (not the same as what we learned in Geometry class in 10th grade) almost deceptively comprehensible. An enjoyable read (that I admittedly have yet to finish) it provides a comprehensive view of the state of string theory as it existed 7 years ago. There are major books out there right now that question the viability of string theory, so if you're looking for the *most* up-to-date information on what's been going on in physics, this is not the book to read. But it is a *great* place to start for the armchair physicist who wants to learn the definitions of the Strong Force, the Weak Force, and Electromagnetism, among other things. It's descriptions of mass and space will stretch the limits of your imagination... and in general, if you *can* imagine the things that Greene describes, chances are, you're a genius who can see in more than three dimensions. Lucky you! ( )
  voncookie | Jun 30, 2016 |
In the great tradition of physicists writing for the masses, ''The Elegant Universe'' sets a standard that will be hard to beat.

To my mother and the memory of my father, with love and gratitude
Preface
During the last thirty years of his life, Albert Einstein sought relentlessly for a so-called unified field theory—a theory capable of describing nature's forces within a single, all-encompassing, coherent framework.
Calling it a cover-up would be far too dramatic.
Physicists and mathematicians all over the world are feverishly working in these years on one of the most ambitious theories that have ever been conceived: the theory of superstrings, or strings, as it is often called. Einstein searched for more than thirty years without ever achieving a unified theory, which reconciled general relativity and quantum mechanics, the two cornerstones of twentieth-century physics. String theory provides perhaps the solution to this profound and fascinating problem, describing all the forces of nature in a single conceptual framework of supreme elegance.
Everything that is wonderful in the universe is the result of the vibrations of individual units, ultramicroscopic strings hidden in the depth of matter. The 'modes of vibration', the 'notes' intoned by these strings, determine the intimate constitution of matter, such as violin strings that perform an ordered and harmonious cosmic symphony.
In this book, Brian Greene tells the story of an extraordinary adventure, talking about it as a protagonist and transmitting all the enthusiasm of scientific discovery. The revolutionary vision of the universe that emerges from his story involves hidden and rolled up dimensions in the folds of space, black holes that are transformed into elementary particles, discontinuity in the weaving of spacetime and universes that generate other universes.
"The elegant universe" describes with intelligence and vivacity the exhilarating discoveries and the still unsolved mysteries of the universe. Through the wise use of analogies and fascinating metaphors, Greene manages to make immediately accessible some of the most complex and sophisticated concepts of contemporary physics.
(Piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375708111, Paperback)

There is an ill-concealed skeleton in the closet of physics: "As they are currently formulated, general relativity and quantum mechanics cannot both be right." Each is exceedingly accurate in its field: general relativity explains the behavior of the universe at large scales, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of subatomic particles. Yet the theories collide horribly under extreme conditions such as black holes or times close to the big bang. Brian Greene, a specialist in quantum field theory, believes that the two pillars of physics can be reconciled in superstring theory, a theory of everything.

Superstring theory has been called "a part of 21st-century physics that fell by chance into the 20th century." In other words, it isn't all worked out yet. Despite the uncertainties--"string theorists work to find approximate solutions to approximate equations"--Greene gives a tour of string theory solid enough to satisfy the scientifically literate.

Though Ed Witten of the Institute for Advanced Study is in many ways the human hero of The Elegant Universe, it is not a human-side-of-physics story. Greene's focus throughout is the science, and he gives the nonspecialist at least an illusion of understanding--or the sense of knowing what it is that you don't know. And that is traditionally the first step on the road to knowledge. --Mary Ellen Curtin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:03 -0400)

Discusses the author's theory for all matter in the universe known as the string theory.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393058581, 039333810X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,627,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible