Sorrow's Anthem by Michael Koryta

Sorrow's Anthem

by Michael Koryta

After loving his first novel, I wasn't a big fan of this one, however, it doesn't mean I didn't like it. Koryta's Private Eye lead Lincoln Perry is a character is unique in his own ways. He is well established and well written. This one took me longer to read than the others, I assume it's because I wasn't really into it as much as his first book. ( )
  mike1990 | Nov 17, 2016 |
I liked it better than the first book in the series - it has a better (more believable) plot, no weird attempt at romance, no female characters so there were none there to be objectified.

Perry is not Robichaud or Reacher and the writer is not as noir as I had been led to believe. The dialogue is a bit too wordy and it could probably use a bit more action and a bit less chatting.

This is a decent 3 star book but that's it. I wouldn't read it again, and don't think I'll read more in the series - they are just average and there's not enough time to read all the average books out there. ( )
  crazybatcow | Aug 12, 2015 |
Long repressed emotions erupt when Cleveland PI Lincoln Perry learns that former friend Ed Gradduk has been accused of arson and murder. Feeling pangs of regret from the results of a well meant past gesture gone bad, the ex-cop seeks his childhood pal out to offer his assistance. He eventually locates Ed, only to see him run down by a police car moments later.
Motivated primarily by guilt and shame, Perry strives to uncover the truth behind the accusations, hoping to clear his friend's name. Investigating, he starts poking around at the edges of a conspiracy that includes members of a local police precinct. Unfortunately for him, the conspirators are willing to go to any length, including murder, to protect their secrets.
For such a young author, Koryta shows amazing insight into regrets of the past, loss and personal sacrifice, expressed by Lincoln's melancholy reflections about his childhood and lost friendship with Ed Gradduk. Lincoln Perry is the perfect PI - an ex-cop, a loner, a man with a past and a man who feels strongly about justice and is not afraid to fight for it and risk his own life for the sake of uncovering the truth. He and Joe Pritchard make a strong pair, with Joe, the older and wiser partner, offering a word of caution and reigning Lincoln in when he gets swept away in the heat of the investigation. Their personalities complement one another, setting a strong groundwork for many more books to come.
I’ll certainly be seeking out more by this author. ( )
  Jawin | Jun 24, 2015 |
Book two of the series, suffers from #2itis. A well crafted plot has Lincoln Perry attempting to help a childhood friend who is then killed. This story wove in and out, with players added all the time--who really did it? It was hard to keep them all straight. Koryta is a great writer of urban action.That said, I'm in for the third episode. ( )
  buffalogr | Apr 2, 2015 |
A clever title in as far as it describes the blending of police, ambulance and fire services sirens. This is the second in the Lincoln Perry PI series. A rather difficult one for me to get into but once in,I had to keep reading. Perry is a developing character and I look forward to the next in the series. ( )
  devenish | Mar 8, 2015 |
To my parents, Jim and Cheryl Koryta, with love and gratitude
I heard the sirens, but paid them no mind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312936605, Mass Market Paperback)

For the police, this case is over. The woman Gradduk is alleged to have killed can't tell her side of the story, and the building she entered with him has burned to the ground. But Perry is making connections to a wave of arson that struck Cleveland seventeen years ago--fires that lit up the dark secrets of two families, a local powerbroker, and at least one crooked cop. Now Perry and his partner can see ties between the past and present, between innocents and criminals--and sirens that keep playing...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

Once Lincoln Perry and Ed Gradduk were friends. Then Perry became a cop, Gradduk turned dangerous, and their friendship imploded. Now, Gradduk is dead. And Perry wants to use his PI license to prove that whatever else his childhood friend might have been, he wasn't a murderer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,739,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible