The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda…

The Thing Around Your Neck (2009)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

1,208619,999 (4.05)153
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: En halv gul sol
    An Elegy for Easterly by Petina Gappah (sanddancer)
    The Other Hand by Chris Cleave (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: Den anden hånd
    Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: Lilla hibiscus
    Your Madness Not Mine: Stories of Cameroon (Ohio RIS Africa Series) by Makuchi (charl08)
    charl08: Both books are short story collections that include links between the west and West Africa, with strong characterisation and a sense of humour.
    Liberty by Jakob Ejersbo (2810michael)
    Revolution by Jakob Ejersbo (2810michael)

English (55)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (61)
God, I love this woman. ( )
  doryfish | Mar 6, 2019 |

An excellent series of short stories, beautifully nuanced, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, some set in Nigeria, and some set in the Nigerian Community in the United States. All but one have a young female protagonist, and many deal with themes of disillusionment whether with husband, family or the promise of a new life in the United States.

Of the twelve stories my favourites were:

Cell One: On the campus of a Nigerian university trouble escalates among the middle class children of the university faculty, who refuse to face the truth that it is not the ‘riffraff from town coming onto their sacred campus to steal’. Until it is the brother of the narrator that is arrested on charges of being involved with gang violence...

Imitation: When she married Nkem was initially ‘proudly excited because she had married into the coveted league, the Rich Nigerian Men Who Sent Their Wives to America To Have Their Babies League’. And then even better, ‘the Rich Nigerian Men Who Owned Houses in America League’. But then she discovers that her husband has installed his mistress at their house in Lagos while she remains in the U.S. ...

The American Embassy: A woman grieving her dead child waits in line outside the American embassy in Lagos. As her story unfolds it becomes clear how what seems like bravery to an outsider can seem like selfishness to those on the inside. ( )
  SandDune | Feb 8, 2019 |
DAMN CHIMAMANDA. Every piece I read from her gets better and better. I liked Americanah so much, then LOVED Half of a Yellow Sun, and The Thing Around Your Neck is every bit as good. She's a straight up gem. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
"The Thing Around Your Neck" is the third book from acclaimed Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, who deploys her calm, descriptive prose to portray women in Nigeria and America who are forced to match their wits against threats ranging from marauding guerrillas to microwave ovens. Within its somewhat narrow range -- the men are all feckless brutes, the women invariably resourceful and spunky -- these stories are haunting. The devastating final piece, "The Headstrong Historian," seems to carry the whole history of a continent in its bones: tragic, defiant, revelatory. (From the WASHINGTON POST, July 8, 2009) ( )
  MikeLindgren51 | Aug 7, 2018 |
I read Half of a Yellow Sun several years ago and loved it but this is the first short story collection of Adichie's I had read and I also loved it. The stories are varied but all beautifully written. I esp. liked the two stories told in the second person, that can so often fail but worked very well here. More Adichie on my to read list!
  amyem58 | Dec 11, 2017 |
In a few stories in this collection Ms. Adichie resorts to easy stereotypes of Westerners . . . For the most part, however, she avoids such easy formulations. In fact the most powerful stories in this volume depict immensely complicated, conflicted characters.

For Ivara
The first time our house was robbed, it was our neighbor Osita who climbed in through the dining room window and stole our TV, our VCR, and the "Purple Rain" and "Thriller" videotapes my father had brought back from America.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie burst onto the literary scene with her remarkable debut novel, Purple Hibiscus, which critics hailed as “one of the best novels to come out of Africa in years” (Baltimore Sun), with “prose as lush as the Nigerian landscape that it powerfully evokes” (The Boston Globe); The Washington Post called her “the twenty-first-century daughter of Chinua Achebe.” Her award-winning Half of a Yellow Sun became an instant classic upon its publication three years later, once again putting her tremendous gifts—graceful storytelling, knowing compassion, and fierce insight into her characters’ hearts—on display. Now, in her most intimate and seamlessly crafted work to date, Adichie turns her penetrating eye on not only Nigeria but America, in twelve dazzling stories that explore the ties that bind men and women, parents and children, Africa and the United States.

In “A Private Experience,” a medical student hides from a violent riot with a poor Muslim woman whose dignity and faith force her to confront the realities and fears she’s been pushing away. In “Tomorrow is Too Far,” a woman unlocks the devastating secret that surrounds her brother’s death. The young mother at the center of “Imitation” finds her comfortable life in Philadelphia threatened when she learns that her husband has moved his mistress into their Lagos home. And the title story depicts the choking loneliness of a Nigerian girl who moves to an America that turns out to be nothing like the country she expected; though falling in love brings her desires nearly within reach, a death in her homeland forces her to reexamine them.

Searing and profound, suffused with beauty, sorrow, and longing, these stories map, with Adichie’s signature emotional wisdom, the collision of two cultures and the deeply human struggle to reconcile them. The Thing Around Your Neck is a resounding confirmation of the prodigious literary powers of one of our most essential writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

A collection of twelve stories includes the tale of a medical student in hiding with a poor Muslim woman, and a woman who discovers a devastating secret about her brother's death.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,809,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible