The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda…

The Thing Around Your Neck (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Member:qofd
Title:The Thing Around Your Neck
Authors:Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Info:Anchor (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read2012, short stories, African, strong women

The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2009)

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: En halv gul sol
    An Elegy for Easterly by Petina Gappah (sanddancer)
    The Other Hand by Chris Cleave (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: Den anden hånd
    Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: Lilla hibiscus
    Your Madness Not Mine: Stories of Cameroon (Research in International Studies Africa Series) by Makuchi (charl08)
    charl08: Both books are short story collections that include links between the west and West Africa, with strong characterisation and a sense of humour.
    Liberty by Jakob Ejersbo (2810michael)
    Revolution by Jakob Ejersbo (2810michael)

English (48)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  English (50)
Although I prefer her novels, this wonderful collection of stories by Adichie further cements her reputation as a writer of exceptional talents. She has a fluency with language and a style that is almost imperceptable, it is only after the story is complete that her subtle craftsmanship becomes apparent. Finest kind. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
A wonderful set of short stories that I read very slowly when I was between books or waiting in jury duty or standing in some interminable line. Each was very affecting and made me stop and consider for long periods of time. I believe my favorites were Ghosts, Cell One, Jumping Monkey Hill, and The Headstrong Historian. Truly, though, I enjoyed each one and each will live in me somewhere. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Oct 1, 2016 |
The first few stories in this collection, somehow, rather bled together and didn't leave much of an impression, but about a third of the way into the work--with the fifth story--Adichie's work simply came to life. I'm not sure whether it was the stories themselves, or whether those early ones served as something of a build-up to the later power that came through in her writing, but with "On Monday of Last Week" and the stories that followed, I found myself transported entirely by her language, as has happened (in my experience, at least) with her novels. From moment to moment, I was fully wrapped up in her stories, her characters, and her language, and so engaged that each story felt like a novel in itself, wholly captured.

So, yes, I would absolutely recommend this collection. The stories are varied and beautiful, and what I'll simply say is that readers who are left somewhat less than enchanted by earlier stories should keep reading. What comes is worth every moment, every word. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Aug 27, 2016 |
God, I love this woman. ( )
  doryfish | Aug 15, 2016 |
A fine collection of stories which confirms Adichie is equally adept at short fiction as at the novel. Most of these stories are set in modern times, largely among Nigerian emigres in America. She can tackle serious and humorous subjects with the same light touch and apparently effortless storytelling. ( )
  bodachliath | May 4, 2016 |
In a few stories in this collection Ms. Adichie resorts to easy stereotypes of Westerners . . . For the most part, however, she avoids such easy formulations. In fact the most powerful stories in this volume depict immensely complicated, conflicted characters.

For Ivara
The first time our house was robbed, it was our neighbor Osita who climbed in through the dining room window and stole our TV, our VCR, and the "Purple Rain" and "Thriller" videotapes my father had brought back from America.
This work is the short story by Adichie. It should not be combined with the author's story collection of the same name.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie burst onto the literary scene with her remarkable debut novel, Purple Hibiscus, which critics hailed as “one of the best novels to come out of Africa in years” (Baltimore Sun), with “prose as lush as the Nigerian landscape that it powerfully evokes” (The Boston Globe); The Washington Post called her “the twenty-first-century daughter of Chinua Achebe.” Her award-winning Half of a Yellow Sun became an instant classic upon its publication three years later, once again putting her tremendous gifts—graceful storytelling, knowing compassion, and fierce insight into her characters’ hearts—on display. Now, in her most intimate and seamlessly crafted work to date, Adichie turns her penetrating eye on not only Nigeria but America, in twelve dazzling stories that explore the ties that bind men and women, parents and children, Africa and the United States.

In “A Private Experience,” a medical student hides from a violent riot with a poor Muslim woman whose dignity and faith force her to confront the realities and fears she’s been pushing away. In “Tomorrow is Too Far,” a woman unlocks the devastating secret that surrounds her brother’s death. The young mother at the center of “Imitation” finds her comfortable life in Philadelphia threatened when she learns that her husband has moved his mistress into their Lagos home. And the title story depicts the choking loneliness of a Nigerian girl who moves to an America that turns out to be nothing like the country she expected; though falling in love brings her desires nearly within reach, a death in her homeland forces her to reexamine them.

Searing and profound, suffused with beauty, sorrow, and longing, these stories map, with Adichie’s signature emotional wisdom, the collision of two cultures and the deeply human struggle to reconcile them. The Thing Around Your Neck is a resounding confirmation of the prodigious literary powers of one of our most essential writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

Collects twelve short stories by Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in which she examines bonds between men and women, parents and children, and Africa and the United States.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,617,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible