The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

The Warrior Heir (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Cinda Williams Chima

1,721684,121 (4)83
Member:desislc
Title:The Warrior Heir
Authors:Cinda Williams Chima
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2007), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***
Tags:YA fiction, series

The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima (2006)

Recently added byjimocracy, bur0030, RCW, fierylibra, kyrii7, IzStrange, private library, Chino765, 1litchick, BookaholicCat

This book started off very slowly. It took me a little bit over half the book to get into the story. Maybe it was just me and the timing wasn’t right. I read about 30% of the book a month ago, but I couldn’t go on because it just bored me to death. So, I put the book on hold, read three other books, and went back to continue the series. It started picking up after that. The characters became more real and I started understanding the story world and the terms used. This book gets four stars because the second half of the book immensely made up for the lackadaisical start. The action-filled scenes were very well-written and the characters were very well-developed. I’d recommend this book to you if you’re willing to push through the lacking beginning and enjoy the rest of the book. ( )
  fatimareadsbooks | Feb 28, 2015 |
(3.8)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
The book provides an exciting into another world lurking just outside our view. This book offers a different take on the world of wizards than has been offered in other recent young adult literature. Mr. Parks ( )
  MrParks | May 8, 2013 |
At 16, Jack learns that he is Weirlind, descended from an ancient group of magical people--specifically, Jack is a born Wizard who was given the heart-stone of a Warrior. Warriors are forced to participate in a fight to the death by Wizards as a means of deciding which Wizard family gets to control the rest of the magical population; thus Jack soon finds himself fighting for his life. This was a pretty good book with plenty of interesting mythology, but the pace was often plodding and there was too much build-up to the relatively short fight-to-the-death. I would have liked less explanation and more action. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 25, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't your typical magic, wizards, and flaming swords story. The war of the roses still rages on but with wizards. The wizards are almost the villains as they use warriors to fight to the death in an arena to determine which house, the house of the Red Rose or White Rose, holds the council seat. The legend behind the five guilds, each guild having a special stone planted behind the heart, and wizards using warriors to do their bidding was all very creative, new, and refreshing! I even appreciated that the story was set in Ohio, and Pittsburgh is mentioned. I couldn’t stop reading and I was excited to learn more about Jack Swift, the warrior heir. ( )
  russell.alynn | Apr 16, 2013 |

Cinda Williams Chimaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramirez, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Carol Bryan Williams, who told stories
The scent of wood smoke and roses always took him back there, to the boy he was and would never be again.

Young adult fiction meets the fantasy world in this thought provoking new novel. Sixteen-year-old Jack Swift thinks he has a heart condition that warrants him swallowing a spoonful of blue medicine every morning, until one day he forgets, and his world is turned upside down. Soon Jack finds out from his quirky aunt that he is not really sick at all, but special. He is one of the last remaining Warriors in an ancient underground society known as the Weirlind. Amidst the everyday struggle of high school, girls, soccer practice, and just plain teenage life, Jack must train for the ultimate fight between the ever-feuding houses of the Red and White Roses—a fight to the death. In this novel Cinda Williams Chima brings to life the clash of magic and the ordinary in an intricate web of literary genius that most authors would need an entire series to create.

Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity.  Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high-schoolers.  Then one day Jack skips his medicine.  Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before.  And it feels great—until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.

Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself:  He is Weirlind; part of an underground society of magical people who live among us.  At the head of this magical society sit the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game—a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death.  The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre magical heritage isn’t enough, Jack finds out that he’s not just another member of Weirlind—he’s one of the last of the warriors—at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:27 -0400)

After learning about his magical ancestry and his own warrior powers, sixteen-year-old Jack embarks on a training program to fight enemy wizards.

Cinda Williams Chima is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,603,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible