The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

The Warrior Heir (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Cinda Williams Chima

Member:desislc
Title:The Warrior Heir
Authors:Cinda Williams Chima
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2007), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***
Tags:YA fiction, series

The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima (2006)

My Opinion: I received a copy of this book free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

Jack Swift is just going about his normal life in a small town in Ohio, minding his own business, when he forgets to take his heart medicine and his life is changed forever. Jack finds out that there is a whole world of magic out there, and because he was born a warrior heir, he is being sought out by two warring factions of magicians and witches, the Red Rose House and the White Rose House. Warrior heirs are very rare so as soon as he is made known to the magic world, he is in grave danger, since the Houses don't exactly ask nicely for him to fight for them. The worst part is that since his mother and his aunt have shielded him from this world, he has no idea how to fight (he finds a magic sword which was passed down to him and which he has no idea how to use). He has to learn very fast though and gets help from strategically based people in his small town who, as it turns out, have been watching over him for years and who are ready to help him out now. My favorite relationship in the book is the one that Jack has with his two non-magical friends, Fitch and Will. Even though they don't possess magic, when Jack is forced to go on the run following a class trip to London, they go along with him, risking their lives and jumping feet first into a very scary unknown future, because they refuse to let Jack fight this battle alone.

For me personally the beginning was a bit slow, and it took me a while to really get into it. but I'm glad I didn't give up on it. The rest of the story was very action packed and filled with adventure, and I really liked the boys and their aunt, and the boys' friend and Jack's former girlfriend, Leesha, who helps out as well, but I wasn't quite as fond of the new girl in school, Ellen Stephenson, who catches Jack's eye, because as I read on I found out that I am strongly "Team Leesha"!

I thought the pacing was a tiny bit off, moving quickly when Jack and company were fighting, but moving more slowly when they weren't, but it wasn't off enough to keep me from enjoying the book. I've read some other reviews for this book that mention teenage boys who really liked the book and even though they weren't big readers, they finished this book and gave it an A+, which is a huge recommendation! I plan on giving it to my son to read when he gets a little bit older based on these reviews because I'm always looking for books that appeal to teenage and pre-teen boys, so thank you very much for that Ms. Chima!

In summary, I thought this book started a bit slow but it more than made up for that in the end. Jack was a very likable character who fought against his destiny, but in the end, like all heroes, he accepted his fate and did what was required. I recommend this book to all teenage readers and lovers of YA fantasy books that deal with magic and witches and all of that fun stuff! I give this book an enthusiastic 5 stars because any book that has mature adults, young adults, and teens reading it and enjoying it deserves 5 stars :D1 ( )
  jwitt33 | Jun 20, 2015 |
fantasy set in modern day ohio, with 16 y/o main character, who turns out to be a warrior and maybe a wizard. Good characters; lots of action and surprises. ( )
  DavidO1103 | May 2, 2015 |
This book started off very slowly. It took me a little bit over half the book to get into the story. Maybe it was just me and the timing wasn’t right. I read about 30% of the book a month ago, but I couldn’t go on because it just bored me to death. So, I put the book on hold, read three other books, and went back to continue the series. It started picking up after that. The characters became more real and I started understanding the story world and the terms used. This book gets four stars because the second half of the book immensely made up for the lackadaisical start. The action-filled scenes were very well-written and the characters were very well-developed. I’d recommend this book to you if you’re willing to push through the lacking beginning and enjoy the rest of the book. ( )
  fatimareadsbooks | Feb 28, 2015 |
(3.8)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
The first book in the Heir Chronicles. Sixteen year-old Jack Swift lives with the after effects of a heart operation as a baby, meaning he has to take medicine on a daily basis. One day he forgets to take his medicine and finds that he feels fantastic. His new strength suits him just fine - until he almost kills someone. The truth soon unfolds; Jack unwittingly belongs to underground society of magical people who live among us, the Weirlind. Soon Jack finds he must compete in a tournament to the death, put forward as a warrior to fight for one of two warring wizard houses. A good story, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Chima's other series 'The Demon King'. ( )
  boppisces | Jun 5, 2013 |

Cinda Williams Chimaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramirez, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Carol Bryan Williams, who told stories
The scent of wood smoke and roses always took him back there, to the boy he was and would never be again.

Young adult fiction meets the fantasy world in this thought provoking new novel. Sixteen-year-old Jack Swift thinks he has a heart condition that warrants him swallowing a spoonful of blue medicine every morning, until one day he forgets, and his world is turned upside down. Soon Jack finds out from his quirky aunt that he is not really sick at all, but special. He is one of the last remaining Warriors in an ancient underground society known as the Weirlind. Amidst the everyday struggle of high school, girls, soccer practice, and just plain teenage life, Jack must train for the ultimate fight between the ever-feuding houses of the Red and White Roses—a fight to the death. In this novel Cinda Williams Chima brings to life the clash of magic and the ordinary in an intricate web of literary genius that most authors would need an entire series to create.

Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity.  Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high-schoolers.  Then one day Jack skips his medicine.  Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before.  And it feels great—until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.

Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself:  He is Weirlind; part of an underground society of magical people who live among us.  At the head of this magical society sit the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game—a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death.  The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre magical heritage isn’t enough, Jack finds out that he’s not just another member of Weirlind—he’s one of the last of the warriors—at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:16 -0400)

After learning about his magical ancestry and his own warrior powers, sixteen-year-old Jack embarks on a training program to fight enemy wizards.

Cinda Williams Chima is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,393,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible