An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn

An Offer from a Gentleman

by Julia Quinn

Series: Bridgertons (Benedict, 3)

Diary of an Accidental Wallflower by Jennifer McQuiston (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar humorous writing styles, developed characters, and plenty of swoon
    Educating Caroline by Patricia Cabot (kathleen.morrow)

I thought this book was filled with adventure. It was a Cinderella story, and it's hard not to like those. Girl treated badly by stepmother, goes to a ball, falls in love, but here is were the story becomes so much more than just a mere Cinderella story - the girl may have gotten away and he couldn't find her, but years later he did and what ensues tugs at your heartstrings. Wonderful. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top favorite series
  Deleine | May 10, 2016 |
♥ An Offer from a Gentleman:
A Cinderella story. And a very sad one, after I finished part one I didn't think that things could get any worst for Sophie but they did!! I can't believe that Benedict didn't even recognize her after kissing her, I am sure it would feel the same no matter how she looked different from that night years ago. I reached Chapter 15 in one night only, this book would make you stay awake just to see what will happen, I know all romantic books end happily, but I love to see how it will happen! Okay! Could I put 10 out of 5 for this book?! I just loved it!! I am going to read it soon again.

"I can live with you hating me; I just can't live without you."

"I burn for you, every night; I lie in bed, thinking of you, wondering why the hell you're here with my mother, of all people, and not with me."

"Her lips parted and softened, and he knew that he had to kiss her. Not that he wanted to, that he had to. He needed her next to him, below him, on top of him. He needed her in him, around him, a part of him. He needed her the way he needed air. And, he thought in that last rational thought before his lips found hers, he needed her right now." ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
As the unacknowledged bastard of the Earl of Penwood, Sophie Beckett is raised in luxury for fourteen years. But upon her father's death, her step-mother turns her into a servant, and Sophie sees no end to her drudgery in sight. She gambles on one, single, shining night of fun: a masquerade ball thrown by the popular Bridgerton family. There, masked and wearing her grandmother's gown, Sophie dances the night away with Benedict Bridgerton. Each falls in love with the other, but years pass before they meet again, and when they do, Sophie has become so enveloped in her role as a maid that Benedict doesn't recognize her. Instead, he falls in love with Sophie-the-servant, all the while tormented by feelings of disloyalty to the unnamed woman at the ball, and his knowledge that he could never marry a servant.

This was possibly my favorite in the Bridgerton series yet, mostly because I really liked Sophie, whose pragmatism is constantly at war with her high principles. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
now this was a Cinderella remake but some of it was just not quite believable. like Sophie never asking about her dad's will or the servants not telling her about it. and Lady Araminta Penwood acting up in the jail... well really the whole jail scene. but i just put this one in straight fantasy romance and left reality out of it in order to fully enjoy it. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brito, AmeliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desthuilliers, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shabani, Suzannasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball--or that "Prince Charming" would be waiting there for her! Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, spinning in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she feels like royalty. Alas, she knows all enchantments must end when the clock strikes midnight.
Who was that extraordinary woman? Ever since that magical night, a radiant vision in silver has blinded Benedict to the attractions of any other--except, perhaps, this alluring and oddly familiar beauty dressed in housemaid's garb whom he feels compelled to rescue from a most disagreeable situation. He has sworn to find and wed his mystery miss, but this breathtaking maid makes him weak with wanting her. Yet, if he offers her his heart, will Benedict sacrifice his only chance for a fairy tale love?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380815583, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Regency England

Sensuality: 7

Miss Sophie Beckett is the illegitimate daughter of the earl of Penwood. Raised in his home, Sophie has a tolerable existence until the earl marries, when her life takes a distinct turn for the worse. Sophie's new stepmother hates her, and when the earl passes away, she relegates Sophie to the role of servant. Sophie's days are pure drudgery, until one night her fellow servants conspire to help her attend a masquerade ball.

Her life changes irrevocably when she meets handsome Benedict Bridgerton and falls head over heels in love. Benedict is equally smitten, but when the clock strikes midnight his beautiful mystery lady runs from him, leaving only her glove in his hand. He searches London for her, but she seems to have vanished. What Benedict doesn't know is that Sophie's stepmother has discovered her outing and thrown Sophie out of their London townhouse. Sophie leaves London, and it isn't until three years later that Benedict and Sophie's paths cross once again, when he saves her from the unwanted attentions of a drunken lord. Sophie recognizes Benedict immediately, but much to her dismay, he doesn't know her in her maid's dress. Soon, however, Benedict falls in love with Sophie all over again. Believing her to be a servant, he cannot conceive of a way to make her his, as she adamantly refuses to become his mistress. Both struggle with their feelings for each other, their unwillingness to compromise their principles, and the seemingly insurmountable wall separating a member of the nobility and a servant. To add to their difficulties, Sophie's vindictive stepmother discovers her presence in London and sets out to make her life even more miserable. It will take the combined force of the large Bridgerton family to help these two stubborn people realize a happy future together.

Quinn brings a fresh approach to this charming retelling of the Cinderella story, enhancing the tale with a strong Regency setting and the warmth of Benedict Bridgerton's large family. Quinn has a reputation for witty dialogue and endearing characters, and she delivers both in this delightful novel. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:42 -0400)

Sophie Beckett, the daughter of an earl who has been relegated to the role of servant by her stepmother, sneaks into Lady Bridgerton's masquerade ball and dances with the debonair and handsome Benedict Bridgerton. Later, during Benedict search for the mysterious and beautiful woman he danced with at the masquerade ball, he meets the servant Sophie Beckett. As romance flares between them, he wrestles with the choice between Sophie and his mysterious dance partner, unaware that they are the same woman.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,836,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible