SantaThing sign up ends in 6:51 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn

An Offer from a Gentleman

by Julia Quinn

Series: Bridgertons (Benedict, 3)

Diary of an Accidental Wallflower by Jennifer McQuiston (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar humorous writing styles, developed characters, and plenty of swoon
    Educating Caroline by Patricia Cabot (kathleen.morrow)

An Offer from A Gentleman
4 Stars

Synopsis:
The illegitimate daughter of an Earl, Sophie Beckett is forced to work in her own home as an unpaid slave to her father’s malicious widow. One night, Sophie defies her stepmother, attends Lady Bridgerton’s masquerade ball and catches the attention of Benedict Bridgeton. Benedict will do anything to find the mysterious lady in silver but she seems to have disappeared without a trace. Soon after, he finds himself attracted to a lowly housemaid who makes him feel alive and dream of a future. But can he live without the woman who captured his heart…

Review:
Cinderella is one of my all time favorite fairy tale and this is one of the most heartwarming adaptations.

Sophie and Benedict are a lovely couple and their story is very sweet and romantic. Benedict makes very minor appearances in the previous two books so he is more or less a clean slate and the reader has the opportunity to learn more about him. He is a very gallant hero although he does seem to be a bit single-minded in his immediate love for and desire to locate a complete stranger. Sophie is a very spirited heroine and holds her ground with Benedict but doesn’t seem able to do the same with her stepmother. This may be due to her lack of self-confidence with regard to her status in society. While Araminta is shoved off her rather high pedestal and put in her place at the end, I do wish she had gotten more of a comeuppance.

Quinn’s writing style is immersing and she incorporates wit and humor so well into her story telling. The plot is a little predictable but in a good way, and I appreciated the slight social critique regarding the class divide and the fact that servants are barely noticeable and often treated as less than human.

Overall, the Bridgerton series is immensely entertaining and this installment is no exception. I find myself completely addicted and seem to be reading the books back to back (very unusual for me). ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This is a Regency Cinderella, but only with one evil stepsister, not two.

You know that picture of a woman who is reading a romance novel and you hear a happy sigh and see a smile on her face? I must have seen it a thousand times in films. Well, I thought I would never look so silly, but it seems I found one which made me sigh and smile in the end. Now I am silly too. Not that I mind. I loved this story, but I admit I love Cinderella, so it may be that. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
This is a Regency Cinderella, but only with one evil stepsister, not two.

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Sophie ("Cinderella") and Benedict Bridgerton ( )
  sharon-williams | Jun 16, 2016 |
Feels like reading the story of Cinderella complete with wicked step-mother and 2 step-sisters, one is nasty, the other less so. ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brito, AmeliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desthuilliers, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shabani, Suzannasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball--or that "Prince Charming" would be waiting there for her! Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, spinning in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she feels like royalty. Alas, she knows all enchantments must end when the clock strikes midnight.
Who was that extraordinary woman? Ever since that magical night, a radiant vision in silver has blinded Benedict to the attractions of any other--except, perhaps, this alluring and oddly familiar beauty dressed in housemaid's garb whom he feels compelled to rescue from a most disagreeable situation. He has sworn to find and wed his mystery miss, but this breathtaking maid makes him weak with wanting her. Yet, if he offers her his heart, will Benedict sacrifice his only chance for a fairy tale love?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380815583, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Regency England

Sensuality: 7

Miss Sophie Beckett is the illegitimate daughter of the earl of Penwood. Raised in his home, Sophie has a tolerable existence until the earl marries, when her life takes a distinct turn for the worse. Sophie's new stepmother hates her, and when the earl passes away, she relegates Sophie to the role of servant. Sophie's days are pure drudgery, until one night her fellow servants conspire to help her attend a masquerade ball.

Her life changes irrevocably when she meets handsome Benedict Bridgerton and falls head over heels in love. Benedict is equally smitten, but when the clock strikes midnight his beautiful mystery lady runs from him, leaving only her glove in his hand. He searches London for her, but she seems to have vanished. What Benedict doesn't know is that Sophie's stepmother has discovered her outing and thrown Sophie out of their London townhouse. Sophie leaves London, and it isn't until three years later that Benedict and Sophie's paths cross once again, when he saves her from the unwanted attentions of a drunken lord. Sophie recognizes Benedict immediately, but much to her dismay, he doesn't know her in her maid's dress. Soon, however, Benedict falls in love with Sophie all over again. Believing her to be a servant, he cannot conceive of a way to make her his, as she adamantly refuses to become his mistress. Both struggle with their feelings for each other, their unwillingness to compromise their principles, and the seemingly insurmountable wall separating a member of the nobility and a servant. To add to their difficulties, Sophie's vindictive stepmother discovers her presence in London and sets out to make her life even more miserable. It will take the combined force of the large Bridgerton family to help these two stubborn people realize a happy future together.

Quinn brings a fresh approach to this charming retelling of the Cinderella story, enhancing the tale with a strong Regency setting and the warmth of Benedict Bridgerton's large family. Quinn has a reputation for witty dialogue and endearing characters, and she delivers both in this delightful novel. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:42 -0400)

Sophie Beckett, the daughter of an earl who has been relegated to the role of servant by her stepmother, sneaks into Lady Bridgerton's masquerade ball and dances with the debonair and handsome Benedict Bridgerton. Later, during Benedict search for the mysterious and beautiful woman he danced with at the masquerade ball, he meets the servant Sophie Beckett. As romance flares between them, he wrestles with the choice between Sophie and his mysterious dance partner, unaware that they are the same woman.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,644,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible