An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia Quinn

An Offer From a Gentleman

by Julia Quinn

Oh, I do love the Bridgerton Family! Each story is a wonderful romance with plenty of drama. A nice touch of steam to keep things naughty! Love this whole series and the epilogues!! And that Lady Whistledown is a hoot!! Such wonderfully engaging characters! Makes me wish I could be transported to that era! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
This is a Regency Cinderella, but only with one evil stepsister, not two.

You know that picture of a woman who is reading a romance novel and you hear a happy sigh and see a smile on her face? I must have seen it a thousand times in films. Well, I thought I would never look so silly, but it seems I found one which made me sigh and smile in the end. Now I am silly too. Not that I mind. I loved this story, but I admit I love Cinderella, so it may be that. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
This is a cute retelling of "Cinderella" - Julia Quinn style. Sophie is the sweet, abused Cinderella character, complete with the wicked stepmother and evil stepsisters. She's dressed up by loyal servants to have one evening at a ball - from which she must return by midnight - and at that ball falls in love with Prince Charming - Benedict Bridgerton. It's cute to see this story played out in Regency England, and with our beloved Bridgertons. Unlike in Cinderella, though, things don't go "happily ever after" quite so easy. For one thing, Benedict doesn't even recognize her when they first meet again - much to Sophie's dismay. I enjoyed this book a great deal! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I think I would have liked this book a lot better had I not been viewing it through a 21st century lens. Social class disparity was an insurmountable obstacle during the early nineteenth century and I know Benedict asked Sophie to be his mistress simply because someone of his social stature could not ask a maid to be his wife and this is the only way he see for them to be together, but it's still not something one really enjoys reading about.
It made me sad for Sophie to be relegated to such a position, especially after all the trials she had undergone in the past, and it made me hate Benedict just a little bit that he kept forcing the issue. It all worked out in the end, but this matter kind of put a damper on my enjoyment of the rest of the book, one that I had quite liked up until that point (mustache-twirling stepmother issues aside).

ETA: I can't help but think that Sophie could exchange one or two 'I was a sad, sad bastard child' stories with Lucian Kiggs from [a:Rachel Hartman|357601|Rachel Hartman|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1307116804p2/357601.jpg]'s [b:Seraphia|21719087|Anywhere III Seraphia|Tani Fredricks|/assets/nocover/60x80.png|40998175]. I smell crossover potential. ;-) ( )
  Cailiosa | Aug 18, 2014 |

Cailiosa | Aug 18, 2014 |

Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball--or that "Prince Charming" would be waiting there for her! Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, spinning in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she feels like royalty. Alas, she knows all enchantments must end when the clock strikes midnight.
Who was that extraordinary woman? Ever since that magical night, a radiant vision in silver has blinded Benedict to the attractions of any other--except, perhaps, this alluring and oddly familiar beauty dressed in housemaid's garb whom he feels compelled to rescue from a most disagreeable situation. He has sworn to find and wed his mystery miss, but this breathtaking maid makes him weak with wanting her. Yet, if he offers her his heart, will Benedict sacrifice his only chance for a fairy tale love?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380815583, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Regency England

Sensuality: 7

Miss Sophie Beckett is the illegitimate daughter of the earl of Penwood. Raised in his home, Sophie has a tolerable existence until the earl marries, when her life takes a distinct turn for the worse. Sophie's new stepmother hates her, and when the earl passes away, she relegates Sophie to the role of servant. Sophie's days are pure drudgery, until one night her fellow servants conspire to help her attend a masquerade ball.

Her life changes irrevocably when she meets handsome Benedict Bridgerton and falls head over heels in love. Benedict is equally smitten, but when the clock strikes midnight his beautiful mystery lady runs from him, leaving only her glove in his hand. He searches London for her, but she seems to have vanished. What Benedict doesn't know is that Sophie's stepmother has discovered her outing and thrown Sophie out of their London townhouse. Sophie leaves London, and it isn't until three years later that Benedict and Sophie's paths cross once again, when he saves her from the unwanted attentions of a drunken lord. Sophie recognizes Benedict immediately, but much to her dismay, he doesn't know her in her maid's dress. Soon, however, Benedict falls in love with Sophie all over again. Believing her to be a servant, he cannot conceive of a way to make her his, as she adamantly refuses to become his mistress. Both struggle with their feelings for each other, their unwillingness to compromise their principles, and the seemingly insurmountable wall separating a member of the nobility and a servant. To add to their difficulties, Sophie's vindictive stepmother discovers her presence in London and sets out to make her life even more miserable. It will take the combined force of the large Bridgerton family to help these two stubborn people realize a happy future together.

Quinn brings a fresh approach to this charming retelling of the Cinderella story, enhancing the tale with a strong Regency setting and the warmth of Benedict Bridgerton's large family. Quinn has a reputation for witty dialogue and endearing characters, and she delivers both in this delightful novel. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:10 -0400)

Sophie Beckett, the daughter of an earl who has been relegated to the role of servant by her stepmother, sneaks into Lady Bridgerton's masquerade ball and dances with the debonair and handsome Benedict Bridgerton. Later, during Benedict search for the mysterious and beautiful woman he danced with at the masquerade ball, he meets the servant Sophie Beckett. As romance flares between them, he wrestles with the choice between Sophie and his mysterious dance partner, unaware that they are the same woman.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible