The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

The Forever War (1974)

by Joe Haldeman

Series: Forever War (1)

5,689136749 (4.06)1 / 209
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (infiniteletters, goodiegoodie)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (JulesJones)
    JulesJones: Two books which examine in different ways what happens to the recruits in an interstellar war who by the very nature of their service can never go back to their home culture.
    Forever Peace (Remembering Tomorrow) by Joe Haldeman (sturlington)
    sturlington: Forever Peace is a thematic sequel to The Forever War.
    The Ethos Effect by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (thejazzmonger)
    thejazzmonger: Good characters and a story with intelligence and action. It makes you think, like every Haldeman book does.
    Armor by John Steakley (amysisson, RASinfo)
    RASinfo: Perfect read for the story and ideas of the same theme.
    Dauntless by Jack Campbell (amysisson)
    amysisson: First in a series of thoughtful military SF with great FTL tactical details.

English (130)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  All languages (135)
Yes, but Kindle. And I don't think I'll enjoy it.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Time dilation due to relativity makes a meaningless war really, really long. There are different technologies in space. Life on future Earth is violent. Retrograde attitudes toward sexuality persevere. There are a million sci-fi novels better than this.

Cisco Winter Shredder Ale
Saranac 4059’ Porter
  MusicalGlass | Feb 28, 2015 |
Military stories are usually not my cup of tea, but The Forever War is compelling from a number of angles. It begins with the main character Mandela drafted into a war against an alien species, though it’s unclear how the war started or why. The training is almost as brutal as the war itself as the soldiers learn to handle harsh conditions on alien worlds in specially designed battlesuits. We see Mandela face battle and then deal with the return to Earth.

The most fascinating aspect of the novel, for me, is how space travel and its associated time dilation, which means that though only a year or two of a battle campaign may pass for Mandela, decades and sometimes centuries have passed on Earth. Thus, Mandela and the readers get to see a glimpse into the dramatic technological and social changes that occur to the human race.

Mandela remains the “everman,” standing in for the reader experiencing these strange new realities. Throughout all the horrors and accidents and death he witnesses on his journey, he holds on to himself and his own sense of what it means to be human. The ending was perfect and left me thrilled to have read this book. ( )
1 vote andreablythe | Feb 18, 2015 |
What can I add that hasn't already been said? Nothing. But I will say it is an amazing book. I loved every word. ( )
  TW_Spencer | Feb 17, 2015 |
Science Fiction is informed by, and a sort of commentary on, the events taking place in the real world when the book is written.

This book is about the Korean War, the Vietnam War and the impotence of the individual soldier during war in general. It is about the distance that military service puts between a person and non-military society, and the difficulty of reintegrating into society or transitioning out of service. I wish the book had more depth than it does, because those ideas are thought-provoking.

The book presents some very old-fashioned ideas about gender roles and technology, which make it quaint and sillier than it would've been in its orgininal context.

The characters in this book don't have very distinct or interesting personalities. They act by default, rarely taking any initiative or doing anything exciting. When a pivotal event took place late in the book I expected a heroic turn from the protagonist. There was a challenge which seemed to inspire him to take a stand and make a statement about what a person cannot be made to endure. Instead, he grumbled momentarily, then did nothing. The book quickly moved onto other, uninteresting, situations. Much later the problems of that pivotal event are solved off-screen. The most compelling conflict in the whole book is hand-waved away, and instead there is an enormous, lengthy, and ultimately meaningless battle scene.

Unless you're an enthusiast for Vietnam-related Sci-Fi, I recommend passing on this book. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
I got to re-reading it last night (for the first time in nearly 20 years) and couldn't put it down.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Mar 30, 2003)

Joe Haldemanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tinkleman, MurrayCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallejo, DorianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

For Ben and, always, for Gay
"Tonight we're going to show you eight silent ways to kill a man."
Relativity propped it up, at least gave it the illusion of being there...the way all reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.
I feel asleep and dreamed that I was a machine, mimicking the functions of life, creaking and clanking my clumsy way through a world, people too polite to say anything but giggling behind my back, and the little man who sat inside my head pulling the levers and clutches and watching the dials, he was hopelessly mad and storing up hurts for the day--
"One cannot make command decisions simply by assessing the tactical situation and going ahead with whatever course of action will do the most harm to the enemy with a minimum of death and damage to your own men and materiel. Modern warfare has become very complex, especially during the last century. Wars are won not by a simple series of battles won, but by a complex interrelationship among military victory, economic pressures, logistic maneuvering, access to the enemy's information, political postures--dozens, literally dozens of factors."
The most important fact about the war to most people was that if it ended suddenly, Earth's economy would collapse.
Heaven was a lovely, unspoiled Earth-like world; what Earth might have been if men had treated her with compassion instead of lust.
Time dilation

Interstellar war is hell

Vietnam in space

(amweb)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312536631, Paperback)

In the 1970s Joe Haldeman approached more than a dozen different publishers before he finally found one interested in The Forever War. The book went on to win both the Hugo and Nebula Awards, although a large chunk of the story had been cut out before it saw publication. Now Haldeman and Avon Books have released the definitive version of The Forever War, published for the first time as Haldeman originally intended. The book tells the timeless story of war, in this case a conflict between humanity and the alien Taurans. Humans first bumped heads with the Taurans when we began using collapsars to travel the stars. Although the collapsars provide nearly instantaneous travel across vast distances, the relativistic speeds associated with the process means that time passes slower for those aboard ship. For William Mandella, a physics student drafted as a soldier, that means more than 27 years will have passed between his first encounter with the Taurans and his homecoming, though he himself will have aged only a year. When Mandella finds that he can't adjust to Earth after being gone so long from home, he reenlists, only to find himself shuttled endlessly from battle to battle as the centuries pass. --Craig E. Engler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:30 -0400)

The Earth's leaders have drawn a line in the interstellar sand, despite the fact that the fierce alien enemy they would oppose is inscrutable, unconquerable, and very far away.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,742,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible