Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by…

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Phillip Hoose (Author)

83220415,700 (4.45)26
Member:BHS_Library
Title:Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice
Authors:Phillip Hoose (Author)
Info:Square Fish (2010), Edition: Reprint, 160 pages
Collections:New biography, new popular nonfiction, new social studies, new books January 2017

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose (2009)

This is a true story about a teenaged girl named Claudette Colvin who did not give up her front seat on a segregated city bus to a white woman in Montgomery, Alabama. Instead of being celebrated like Rosa Parks, her classmates dissed her and was found dismissed by community leaders. About a year later though, Claudette wanted to "challenge" segregation again as a key plaintiff in Browder V. Gayle. That is the landmark case that erased the legal underpinnings of the Jim Crow South and struck segregation in Montgomery.
I liked this book because it was such a dramatic story about a real Montgomery Bus Boycott and a court case in Alabama that changed American history. The fact that this was a true story was pretty inspiring, especially because Claudette Colvin was only fifteen years old when she refused to give up her seat because she felt that it was the right thing to do. Which I can strongly agree on. I admire Claudette's strength throughout the book and I hope that when I grow up to be fifteen years old I can be as brave as her. This novel definitely deserves a five- star! ( )
  Hannah.b3 | May 31, 2018 |
This is the story of an unsung hero of the American Civil Rights Movement. As a 15 year old girl, Claudette Colvin refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus to a white woman when ordered to do so by the bus driver. She did this months before Rosa Parks did. Claudette was also one of 4 named plaintiffs in the landmark Browder vs. Gayle case which ruled in Federal Court that Montgomery's bus segregation laws were unconstitutional.
This book illustrates why it is important to study history thoroughly and completely. Her story would have been lost to time if not for the diligent efforts of a few people mainly Hoose himself. Speaking of Phillip Hoose, I find his resume intriguing. He was educated at Indiana University and Yale's school of forestry. He has also been a children's author as well as a performing musician. This eclectic life tells me that he has seen and done LIFE. This gives a huge amount of credibility to his writing.
The book is accessible in that it provides definitions for legal terms and context in which they are used. I have the electronic version so, the bibliography is very easy to use. It also gives a specific section for websites which the reader can use for further research. The author then goes on to give an account of the whole process by which he wrote the book thus adding to his credibility. It also brings transparency to the writing process which makes it an excellent educational tool for aspiring writers.
I have very few critiques. One is the organization of the narrative. The switching from Claudette's point of view to a sort of second/third person mish mash was at times, confusing. The other is that for this topic, I wish there had been more pictures. There were a good many, but I wish there had been more.
This book will be assigned as a historical biography for my American History students covering the Civil Rights movement both for the narrative it tells and the historical context as well as the insight on the writing process in general. ( )
  jcbarr | Apr 10, 2018 |
The most interesting thing about this book's structure is its split focus narrative. The majority of the story is told through second person perspective which is meant to tell the audience what it was like at this period of time for African Americans in Alabama during the bus boycotts. The rest of the story relies on interview sections between the author, Phillip Hoose, and the book's focus, Claudette Colvin, who details her own perspectives on this period of time and the events taking place within it.
It is an interesting narrative conceit, and I really liked the interview segments, but I am not sure how I feel about second person perspective as a tool for writing history stories. Particularly when combined with the interview segments, the second person viewpoint makes me personally feel like a ghost floating among these people for brief moments without ever really getting to know them. I understand the drawbacks of first person and third person for history, but I am not sure that this middle ground is the right way to fix those problems.
Aside from this writing conceit, the book's style is great. Hoose uses simple language and stark imagery to help his modern audience connect with a period of time and mindsets very different from their own. Compounding this with photos and newspaper headlines from the time and Colvin's personal voice helps the story feel very real. I also appreciate that Colvin and Hoose felt comfortable enough to call out Rosa Parks for insensitive behavior because even heroes and heroines should have their flaws examined. It makes them feel more human and easier for an audience to connect with as a person. Perhaps it is because of this perception of Rosa Parks that the book's author deliberately avoids talking down to the audience. The book is partisan (it would be hard not to be on this topic) but civil rights histories can often get very preachy and Hoose deftly avoids that problem.
While I did not connect much with it personally due to the book's awkward narrative style, the story itself and the Claudette Colvin interview sections still make this a book to teach about the Civil Rights Movement with. ( )
  Bpbirdwh | Apr 2, 2018 |
This historical book tells the untold story of Claudette Colvin's part in the desegregation of Montgomery, Alabamas city bus system and the Montgomery Bus Boycott. The author lists a full bibliography and conducted many interviews with Claudette Colvin and people who knew her or who participated in the bus boycott. The author also conducted research on the historical facts of the story. The story is told in chronological order with a narrative structure to each chapter. I liked the way the author would write a quote by Claudette and then continue to tell the story to fill in any gaps along the way. Having Claudette's quote labeled with Claudette in bold helped me as the reader to follow the story easily. I also liked the boxes of extra notes that explained some of the things mentioned in the story like the box of notes about Jim Crow. While it might seem distracting to some people, I enjoyed having them there to help me understand what was happening in the story. I did not know what the term Jim Crow meant until I read the box of notes by the auther. This was most helpful to me as the reader. I did not know a lot about the desegregation of the south only bits and pieces that I have read in a few history books or in the newspaper and this story helped me to understand it much better. I felt that Claudette was very brave for what she did and felt that she should have a place in American history studies right next to Rosa Parks. ( )
  ldbecker | Feb 21, 2018 |
Love your neighbor as yourself. ~ Mark 12:31. I believe this means all of your neighbors, we don't get to pick as choose as human beings who we deem worthy or not, we are ALL made in His image. This book is an emotional journey about the true story of a Christian American teenage girl who made a huge impact on The Civil Rights Movement of the 1950's and 1960's. Even as a young teenager, Claudette Colvin boldly took a stand at a time when hardly anybody else would. After refusing to give up her seat to a white person on a racially segregated bus in Montgomery, AL she was forcefully arrested and charged with assulting a police officer. The author uses a narrative structure to balance Claudette's personal accounts of significant and emotional life events with related substantial incidents to support the portrayal of the intensity of the social injustice of the times. The author includes some very helpful, intriguing, and confirming information in his Author's notes and in the Afterword interview with Claudette Colvin. The Bibliography seems to be thorough, well-researched, and constructive. This book is a must read for any American who wants to empathize with the inspiring and heartbreaking crusade of some of our friends and neighbors in their fight for freedoms and basic human rights. ( )
  dersbowes | Feb 20, 2018 |
Today, thanks to Hoose, a new generation of girls – and boys – can add Claudette Colvin to their list of heroines.

“When it comes to justice, there is no easy way to get it. You can’t sugarcoat it. You have to take a stand and say, ‘This is not right.’” – Claudette Colvin

On March 2, 1955, an impassioned teenager, fed up with the daily injustices of Jim Crow segregation, refused to give her seat to a white woman on a segregated bus in Montgomery, Alabama. Instead of being celebrated as Rosa Parks would be just nine months later, fifteen-year-old Claudette Colvin found herself shunned by her classmates and dismissed by community leaders. Undaunted, a year later she dared to challenge segregation again as a key plaintiff in Browder v. Gayle, the landmark case that struck down the segregation laws of Montgomery and swept away the legal underpinnings of the Jim Crow South.

Claudette Colvin is the 2009 National Book Award Winner for Young People's Literature and a 2010 Newbery Honor Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:36 -0400)

Based on extensive interviews with Claudette Colvin and many others, Phillip Hoose presents the first in-depth account of an important yet largely unknown civil rights figure, skillfully weaving her dramatic story into the fabric of the historic Montgomery bus boycott and court case that would change the course of American history.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,849,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible