The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette…

The Glass Castle: A Memoir (edition 2006)

by Jeannette Walls (Author)

Jeannette Walls tells the story about her childhood. She talks about living like nomads, moving among Southwest desert towns, camping in the mountains. Retreating to the dismal West Virginia mining town--and the family-- her father, Rex Walls, had done everything he could to escape. He drank. He stole the grocery money and disappeared for days. As the dysfunction of the family escalated, Jeannette and her brother and sisters had to fend for themselves, supporting one another as they weathered their parents' betrayals and, finally, found the resources and will to leave home.… (more)
Member:SavRaine
Title:The Glass Castle: A Memoir
Authors:Jeannette Walls (Author)
Info:Scribner (2006), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages

The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (JGoto)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (cataylor)
    Jesus Land: A Memoir by Julia Scheeres (gaialover)
    Hope's Boy: A Memoir by Andrew Bridge (meggyweg, Sunflower6_Cris)
    Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray (itbgc)
    Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (Monika_L)
    The Liars' Club by Mary Karr (Cecrow)
    A Death in the Family by Karl Ove Knausgård (julienne_preacher)
    Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found by Jennifer Lauck (RoxieF)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (SugarCreekRanch)
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (bjappleg8)
    Life at the Bottom : The Worldview that Makes the Underclass by Theodore Dalrymple (chndlrs)
    Shattered Silence: The Untold Story of a Serial Killer's Daughter by Melissa G. Moore (dara85)
    North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both by Cea Sunrise Person (kristina25)
    Coming Clean: A Memoir by Kimberly Rae Miller (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both these memoirs of childhood are about parents with severe limitations, difficulties, mental illnesses, with the authors nonetheless feeling loved by them.
    Tutto si risveglia con un bacio by Gudrún Eva Mínervudóttir (raudakind)
    raudakind: Both of these books are humorous tales about families splintered by the parents' bohemian lifestyle.
    Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit by Catherine James (amyreads)
    Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg (VictoriaPL)
    All Over but the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg (BookshelfMonstrosity)

English (712)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (721)
For some reason I love good memoirs and this one was very compelling. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
Still fantastic. Equal parts adventurous, dreary, dreamy and frightening. ( )
  Chyvalrys | Aug 5, 2020 |
Such a great read. Sad, funny, riveting, antagonising, annoying, incredible, wonderful! ( )
  Iira | Jul 27, 2020 |
This is quite a thought provoking memoir. I am amazed at the resilience of the Walls children. They made lives for themselves in spite of everything. ( )
  Martha662 | Jun 27, 2020 |
Even though I knew that the author eventually grew up to write this book and live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, I still felt so stressed out reading about her plans to escape. She does such a great job of describing her home life in a way that shows her growing awareness of how difficult and unusual it was. I also enjoyed the snarky dialogue from her sister Lori and even her mom, as deeply unlikeable as she was. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
''The Glass Castle'' falls short of being art, but it's a very good memoir. At one point, describing her early literary tastes, Walls mentions that ''my favorite books all involved people dealing with hardships.'' And she has succeeded in doing what most writers set out to do -- to write the kind of book they themselves most want to read.

Jeannette Wallsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gibson, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dark is a way and light is a place,
Heaven that never was
Nor will be ever is always true
-Dylan Thomas
"Poem on His Birthday"
To John, for convincing me that everyone who is interesting has a past
I was sitting in a taxi, wondering if I had overdressed for the evening, when I looked out the window and saw Mom rooting through a Dumpster.

The child of an alcoholic father and an eccentric artist mother discusses her family's nomadic upbringing, during which she and her siblings fended for themselves while their parents outmaneuvered bill collectors and the authorities.
-Novelist

4 2030

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,680,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible