The Soprano Wore Falsettos : A Liturgical…

The Soprano Wore Falsettos : A Liturgical Mystery

by Mark Schweizer

Agnes Day, the substitute organist at St. Barnabas, is murdered during the Palm Sunday service. The St. Germaine police force investigate with the usual hilarity. Sign me up for the Pirate Eucharist. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Dec 25, 2015 |
This is the fourth in the hilarious series. Go back and read my earlier reviews to get some idea of the characters and situation, although Hayden is on extended leave as organist from St. Barnabas. Another book within a book, the interior one again Hayden hopes will be a contender for the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. For example: “The wind slapped me in the mug like a petulant chippy; then it threw its drink in my face, kissed me hard on the mouth, slapped me again, kissed me once more, showed me a good time, stole my wallet and banged open the door of the Possum ’n Peasel just as I walked up--it was one heck of a wind, and I oughta know.” and “All I knew for sure was that when-ever she spoke, I could swear that I heard bells--like she was a cement truck backing up.” and “She walked past the table, her dress clinging to her torso like paint on the nose cone of a B-17 Flying Fortress, a blond bombshell with more curves than an 48/M reverse-panel throttle bracket assembly. “Hi there,” she purred, her engines dropping to idle as she lowered...”

Lots of puns, e.g. the temporary organist is named Agnes Day (For those who don’t get it, it’s a pun on Agnus Dei, translated as “lamb of God” and colloquially as scapegoat.) She’s also the murder victim. In this episode we have a transexual, a medical marijuana grower, a Power Ball winner, Dave gets engaged (but not to Nancy), a new Dip-N-Tan salon (you get dipped into a tanning solution) and a Pirate Eucharist. Again, some LOL scenes.

One comment. To my shame, I was not aware that Vaughn Williams had composed 9 symphonies. I was only familiar with the Sea Symphony, (a choral work) which I like very much, so this comment, “I had taken my time driving in, enjoying the scenery and listening to the Ninth Symphony of Vaughan Williams. It was the symphony about which Aaron Copland quipped, ‘It’s like watching a cow for forty minutes.’ Aaron Copland was right[*], but it was beautiful music for driving through the mountains on a crisp morning in March,” sent me directly to Amazon’s MP3 download section where you can purchase all symphonies as one set.

*P.S. I think Copeland was full of shit.

P.P.S. I never would have guessed the murderer. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Borders on being sacrilegious but I found it amusing nonetheless. ( )
  markbstephenson | Jun 2, 2010 |
A very funny series about an independently wealthy Episcopal church organist who is also the local police chief. He solves murders while writing cheesy crime novels (hilarious excerpts provided) ... and keeping up with the goings on at church, too. ( )
  brewergirl | Nov 14, 2006 |

(No. 4 in the Liturgical Mystery series) Detective Hayden Konig is a success in anyone's book. He has a job that he loves as Chief of Police in the small Appalachian town of St. Germaine, North Carolina. He's employed as the part-time organist and choirmaster at St. Barnabas Church. He's just proposed to his sweetheart, Meg Farthing, and, to top it all off, he's as rich as a televangelist with his own 900 number.

In spite of all his apparent success, Hayden Konig's life-long dream is yet to be realized. He longs to write the next great hard-boiled mystery. Though his past attempts have been less than impressive, Hayden is convinced that using Raymond Chandler's actual typewriter (purchased at an auction) is just the impetus his writing needs to push his detective story over the top. Unfortunately, he's dead wrong.

St. Barnabas, meanwhile, has come into a great deal of money. Sixteen million dollars, to be exact, and the members of the congregation all have ideas on how to spend it. Suddenly, a shot rang out! A woman screamed, and Detective Konig has another dead body in the choir loft. It's business as usual in St. Germaine. With Easter right around the corner and suspects galore, Hayden must find the murderer. Can things get any worse?

Hayden Konig's 4th mystery
The Soprano Wore Falsettos
It's not what you expect...it's even funnier!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:39 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,424,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible