A Poke in the I: A Collection of Concrete…

A Poke in the I: A Collection of Concrete Poems

by Paul B. Janeczko

Other authors: Chris Raschka (Illustrator)

This book is filled with 30 poems that are very playful and keep you entertained. The book starts off teaching you what a concrete poem is and gives you examples of some types of concrete poems. The writing style in the different poems open your mind and show you that the poems can alter meaning. The illustrations are colorful and the poems show you differences among authors. Some poems are straight forward and others make your mind wonder. Overall great book and would be great to read before doing a lesson on writing your own concrete poems. ( )
  Gsmith0930 | Nov 6, 2017 |
At the beginning, I had mixed feelings about the book; it was hard to follow at times and process all the different poems that the editor selected. However, at the end, I started to enjoy this book for various reasons. This book had an interesting approach to poetry and its presentation of the book was nontraditional. I liked the book because of the illustrations, point of view, and language. The illustrations reflected that of the title of each poem. For example, in Popsicle, the poem was put together in the shape of a Popsicle. The visual effects of the illustrations/presentation brought out a real sense of the words into a pictorial meaning for the audience. The pages were colorful and somewhat abstract, so that readers can interpret it for themselves. I thought the point of view of these selections were particularly interesting; it came from a variety of speakers. Some came from children, two lovers, or even animals. This allows readers to step into another angle and look at life a little differently than they are accustomed to. Lastly, the language and choice of words were carefully chosen. Many of the words were play on words, meaning they had various meaning associated with it. For example, in Balloon, it said, “As big as ball as round as sun… I tug and pull you when you run and when wind blows I say politely hold me tightly”. The rhythm and rhymes paint a picture to describe balloons without actually saying the word balloon. Each poem had their own big ideas and I like these particular selections because their themes flow and connect from one poem to another. One big idea that stuck out to me was in the poem called A Weak Poem. In this poem, the poem’s illustration was growing weaker (drooping down the page) because the narrator ate too much junk food late at night; this teaches a lesson about health. I would recommend teachers to use this as well in their future classrooms as a great book to show their students different ways to write and present a poem. ( )
  Gkoo1 | Sep 3, 2017 |
In this concrete poem book, the author has creatively come up with poems that can be shown using literal pictures. The spelling rope skip is written as the twisting of the jump rope and the words disappear like crows in another poem. ( )
  booklist520 | Jun 4, 2017 |
I really didn’t like this book except for one thing. I liked how the poems in the book all had a shape that matched with what the poem was talking about. For example, the first poem in the book is called A Seeing Poem and the illustration is of a lightbulb above someone’s head. The words in the poem describe what the poem is about. I didn’t enjoy the illustrations, they were all over the place and very confusing on to what the illustrations really were. Some of the illustrations, I couldn’t even make out, too many colors and shapes put together in one illustration. I didn’t understand some of the poems in the book, they made no sense to me and it made me a little frustrated trying to figure out what it meant. I enjoyed some of the poems because they were very interesting but other than that I didn’t really enjoy the poems or the illustrations. ( )
  kmassa3 | Apr 12, 2017 |
This book includes single word poems, poems in shape form, poems uses shapes to draw a picture for the reader to understand what it looks like.
  Jennamg123 | Oct 13, 2016 |

Paul B. Janeczkoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raschka, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763623768, Paperback)

What on earth is a concrete poem? Well, for one thing, it's a lot more playful than a regular poem. The arrangement of letters or words, or the way the type--and even blank space--is placed on the page, or the typefaces chosen... all of these things can contribute to the creation of a concrete poem. In this marvelous collection selected by Paul B. Janeczko (Very Best (Almost) Friends, etc.) and illustrated by Caldecott Honor artist Chris Raschka (Yo! Yes?, etc.), you never know what might happen from page to page. In John Agard's "Skipping Rope Spell," for example, the words are shaped into four spirals, representing the motions of hands as they turn the jump rope. "A Seeing Poem," by Robert Froman, is printed in the shape of a light bulb. The words of the poem in conventional order go like this: "A seeing poem happens when words take a shape that helps them to turn on a light in someone's mind." And Monica Kulling's "Tennis Anyone?" covers two pages. The poem is split down the middle, so readers must swivel their heads back and forth as if they were watching a match! Raschka's unique, terrifically captivating illustrations, done in watercolor, ink, and torn paper, are a perfect match for the wackiness and joy of the poetry. (Ages 5 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:33 -0400)

Thirty poems which have their text arranged to startle the reader.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,604,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible