The Journey That Saved Curious George: The…

The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret…

by Louise Borden

Good part of a WWII unit ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Review from library copy.

Interesting. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
This beautifully illustrated picture book tells the story of Margaret and H.A. Rey and their escape from Paris during World WarII.
  KilmerMSLibrary | Apr 29, 2013 |
  cavlibrary | Jun 3, 2012 |
The journey of the authors of the Curious George stories from Europe to the United States.
  hgcslibrary | Nov 29, 2009 |
For Amy Flynn, Emily Linsay, and Eleni Beja...my fine editors who shared the journey with me... for Lay Lee Ong...and always, for Pete. - L.B.
For Louise, who made the journey. - A.D.
In 1906, Hans Agusto Reyerbach was a boy growing up in Hamburg, Germanny, a port city with canals and a thousand bridges...and the River Elbe that ran to the North Sea.

Curious George is known and loved all over the world. But few people know the exciting history of his creators,. In 1940, Hans and Margaret Rey had to flee their Paris home as the German army advanced on the capital city. They began their harrowing journey on bicycles with their children's book manuscripts among their few possessions. Louise Borden combined primary resources, including Hans Rey's pocket diaries, to tell this dramatic, true story. Archival materials introduce readers to the world of Hans and Margaret Rey while Allan Drummond dramatically illustrates their wartime trek to a new home. (978-0-618-33924-8)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618339248, Hardcover)

Product Description

In 1940, Hans and Margret Rey fled their Paris home as the German army advanced. They began their harrowing journey on bicycles, pedaling to Southern France with children’s book manuscripts among their few possessions.

Louise Borden combed primary resources, including Hans Rey’s pocket diaries, to tell this dramatic true story. Archival materials introduce readers to the world of Hans and Margret Rey while Allan Drummond dramatically and colorfully illustrates their wartime trek to a new home.

Follow the Reys' amazing story in this unique large format book that resembles a travel journal and includes full-color illustrations, original photos, actual ticket stubs and more. A perfect book for Curious George fans of all ages.

Amazon Exclusive: An Introduction and Photos from Louise Borden, Author of The Journey of Curious George (Click to Enlarge)

Imagine our world without the famous little monkey Curious George!

He's a character that so many of us have grown up with, and like George, all of us are curious about the world in varying ways. Sometimes our explorations as kids and adults lead to hilarious mishaps or inspiring adventures. Sometimes our curiosity can change the world in amazing ways.

As a writer of children's books, I went on my own journey of antics and adventures in piecing together the long ago and unknown story of Margret and H. A. Rey's wartime escape from Paris in June of 1940.

Like George, I turned new corners and met new people who helped me. I traveled to exciting new places and learned new skills.

In the end, everything seemed to turn out well...just as it does for George.

Now, because of my curiosity, you, too, and everyone else, can know about the Reys' life story before they became famous and successful children's book creators. You can learn about George's first early escapes in The Journey That Saved Curious George.

The Reys honeymooned at the Terrass Hotel in Paris At the very beginning of World War II, the Reys spent several months at a chateau in the south of France The Reys passed through Acquebouille as they fled from the German army A map of the route that the Reys followed

A copy of the Reys' very first book for children, about a giraffe and nine monkeys The Rey Archives in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Notice my detective's magnifying glass! Lay Lee Ong, executor of the Reys' estate Students love to learn about the wartime journey that Margret and Hans took

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:16 -0400)

Tells how the creators of "Curious George" narrowly escaped capture by the Nazis while fleeing Paris on their bicycles during World War II.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,310,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible