Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity,…

Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and… (edition 2009)

by Leland Gregory

Member:TheBoltChick
Title:Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions
Authors:Leland Gregory
Info:Andrews McMeel Publishing (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle

Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions by Leland Gregory

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen (bragan)
    bragan: If you're interested in a more serious and deep discussion/debunking of the myths of American history, this one's worth checking out.

would of made a better day-to-day calendar.... ( )
  TriciaDM | Jul 14, 2011 |
It was ok ( )
  harperhaven | Apr 29, 2011 |
There are several blatant errors in this book, so you can't take everything it says as true. But, it's still an entertaining read. So, don't read this if you're looking for a book full of true historical humorous events, unless you're prepared to have to research any that catch your interest to see whether or not they are in fact true. But, if you're just looking for a bit of entertainment and humor, then go ahead and pick up this one. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jan 22, 2011 |
This one was free on Amazon Kindle so I couldn't resist the download. Glad I did too because it was lots of fun! It took me just over 24 hours to read and I found myself enjoying all the trivial tidbits so much that I kept sharing ones that really entertained & interested with me on Facebook with the ol' "alt enter" function on Kindle. Now I am just trying to decided which of Leland Gregory's books to get next... ( )
  KindleKapers | Jan 14, 2011 |
History books have idolized our founding fathers to such a degree that a lot of people believe they were perfect.

America is the home of the brave and, apparently, the stupid and gullible. Satirist Leland Gregory teaches us a lesson in historical hilarity with Stupid American History.

From Columbus to George W. Bush (that's a lot of material, people), Leland leads us through American history's mythconceptions, exposing idiocy and inanity along the time line. He reeducates by informing us about myths. For example, Samuel Prescott actually was the guy to alert us that the British were coming and not that Paul Revere dude.

Move over Colbert and Stewart; satire has finally found its rightful place in American history.

Excerpt from the book:

"John Tyler was on his knees playing marbles when he was informed that Benjamin Harrison had died and he was now president of the United States. At that time marbles was a very popular game for both children and grown-ups."

For reasons still unknown, Texas congressman Thomas Lindsay Blanton, a Presbyterian Sunday school teacher and prohibitionist, inserted dirty words into the Congressional Record in 1921. His colleagues overwhelmingly censured him on October 24, 1921, by a vote of 293-0."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:15 -0400)

Presents little-known facts and anecdotes about the history of the United States, focusing on famous mistakes, misrepresented quotes and facts throught the nation's history.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions by lelandgregory was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,994,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible