The Dragon of Trelian by Michelle Knudsen

The Dragon of Trelian (edition 2011)

by Michelle Knudsen

Collections:Owned
Rating:***
Tags:2013

The Dragon of Trelian by Michelle Knudsen

Young Calen is a mage-in-training in the kingdom of Trelian, newly apprenticed to the stern master magician, Serek. Meglynne is a middle princess with a reputation for impulsive, un-princessy behavior; her older sister has always been her best friend, but soon her sister will be gone, married to a prince from the neighboring kingdom, thus ending a long-standing war. These two lonely children meet when they both sneak away from their duties to spy on the prince's procession, and they quickly strike up a friendship based on mutual need. Calen needs someone to believe in his ability and dedication to magic in a way that his disapproving master doesn't seem to, and Meg needs someone she can trust with a dangerous secret -- she's found a baby dragon, a rare species in Trelian, and has been hiding it in a nearby cave outside of the palace grounds. Meg relies on Calen to research dragons and advise her, especially after they realize she and the dragon have formed a mental bond that allows them to share thoughts and power. During one of their meetings, Meg and Calen overhear a powerful ambassador from Kragnir plotting the death of Meg's sister in order to rekindle the war, but before they can warn anyone, they are caught and sent far from the kingdom with a powerful spell. Now, Meg and Calen must find their way back to Trelian in time to save Meg's sister, and they have only Calen's fledging powers and Meg's link with the dragon Jackl to rely on.

This is a solid middle-grade fantasy, and one that I very much enjoyed reading. The way magic works in the world, and especially the way it is regulated (magicians have tattoos that represent their abilities; these tattoos change and grow as their powers do, and it is illegal to practice magic without the tattoos; basically, it is illegal to hide the fact that you have power) is interesting and well thought out. Dragons have been done to death, but Knudson does a credible job using this mythic creature as a way to explore Meg's issues of identity and trust, as she is afraid her true self will be swept away in the tide of the dragon's power. As the dragon doesn't have human feelings and is quite threatening, she naturally worries about what kind of person she will become and how others will see her. Also, despite the book's title, the dragon here is not the focus of the whole story. The focus is on Calen's and Meg's friendship, and what a great friendship it is! Despite their status differences, Meg and Calen treat each other as equals, and both have strengths that the other trusts: Meg trusts Calen's calm thoughtfulness and magical knowledge, and Calen admires Meg's people skills and her sheer willful determination not to fail. Even better, they do not appear to be heading in a romantic relationship -- Meg has a crush on another boy during part of the book. I also like that Knudson did not make all of the adults in the book into clueless morons who blunder in and ruin everything; Calen's master Serek proves to be a strong force on their side. He listens to them, and then he acts on the knowledge in appropriately adult ways, not by confining them to their rooms or telling them they're imagining things, but by doing his own quiet research and protecting and supporting them when needed. While Calen's and Meg's actions ultimately foil the plot (for now, mwahahaha; there is definitely a sequel), Serek is the strong adult figure they needed. Overall I was really surprised by how much I liked this book (sometimes I get cynical about middle-grade fantasy, especially involving dragons), and I hope the next one continues the strong writing, plotting, and character development. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
Very good story. Well written. Good characters that are likable. Lots of action. If there has to be another dragon book, this is a good one. ( )
1 vote librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
despite the adventure and the magic of Calen the apprentice mage, this might be a hard sell to guys as there is much drama and romance from Meg the princess ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Dragon of Trelian focuses on a mage's apprentice named Calen and a princess named Meg. The dragon is less central to the story than I would have liked, but that will probably shift as the series continues. In this novel, Knudsen has created an incredible, complex fantasy world that people of all ages will love to delve into. I had my doubts at the beginning, but the characters are so easy to relate to and I was immediately sucked into their world.

The plot had some issues for me, but I really loved the characters and their relationship with each other. Both Meg and Calen are fantastically well-rounded, and I could see both boys and girls loving this story because of the dual points of view. Once the action and adventure got started (it did take a very long time for it to start), the pace really picked up and I was hooked. The black winged creatures (shown on cover) are described in horrific detail, which I loved -- a good fantasy isn't complete without at least one frightening creature.

What I didn't like, and what seems to be a problem for a lot of middle grade works, is that a lot of conflicts are resolved within a few pages of being introduced. There are some problems that take longer, but for the most part, a seemingly huge obstacle is thrown in the characters' way, and then it magically disappears within moments. This makes it really frustrating when they can't figure out an obvious solution to a problem that takes them chapters to solve. Yes, it's middle grade and should be less complex, but I like it when the characters are pushed and have to work for a happy ending.

Despite that, however, I found this to be a charming fantasy with incredibly lovable characters. I can't wait to see what the next books have in store, and I've already added the sequel to my to-read list.

*I was given a free copy of this book from the publisher through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
1 vote sedelia | Feb 25, 2013 |
When apprentice mage Calen and Princess Meglynne encounter each other (both hiding from their respective responsibilities), a fast friendship is formed. Both children were lonely and isolated by their positions, and they soon find themselves sharing secrets. Meg has a big secret -- she discovered a young dragon in the woods near the castle, and she has been hiding it in a cave ever since. In fact, Meg and the dragon Jakl have formed a magical bond. They are, in fact, linked for life, whether they meant to be or not. Calen resolves to help keep Meg's secret, and he begins to research the dragon linkage in hopes of helping her manage it. Even bigger than this dragon-size problem, however, is the plot of an evil mage who is plotting war and murder. When Calen and Meg stumble upon this plot, their lives are in danger -- and they are the only ones who can sound the alarm and stop the plot from wreaking havoc in Meg's family and her kingdom.

This is a fun fantasy read -- though I found myself enjoying it a little less as a reread than I did at first. Perhaps that's because it's not highly original, as far as the plot goes. I like the characters, and I think Meg's conflicted feelings about her link with Jakl are particularly well-done. Some of the secondary characters (Meg's parents, for instance) are a bit flat, while others (Serek, the mage Calen is apprenticed to, in particular) are intriguing. It's a good solid read, and I'd recommend it to fans of middle-grade fantasy, especially those who like the Dragon Slippers books by Jessica Day George and A Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson Levine. ( )
2 vote foggidawn | Jun 2, 2012 |

Calen, a lonely young mage-to-be, never dreamed that Princess Meglynne would become his friend. And impulsive Meg never imagined that secretly tending a baby dragon would cause her to be "linked" to the winged beast — for life. Being attuned to a dragon’s thoughts and feelings is exciting but scary, especially when their destinies are tied (for better or worse). And now Meg’s sister is about to marry a prince to end a war between kingdoms, a celebration that only Meg and Calen know is endangered by a murderous plot. How can a girl, a boy, and a dragon merge their magic and strength to bring down a powerful traitor before it’s too late? From the author of Library Lion comes a classic middle-grade fantasy soaring with sorcery and suspense, spunk and adventure, friendship and first romance, and a cast of truly enchanting characters.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:53 -0400)

A mage's apprentice, a princess, and a dragon combine their strength and magic to bring down a traitor and restore peace to the kingdom of Trelian.

Michelle Knudsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763634557, 0763649937

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Dragon of Trelian by Michelle Knudsen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible