The Strain by Guillermo del Toro

The Strain (2009)

by Guillermo Del Toro, Chuck Hogan

Series: The Strain Trilogy (1)

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Joles)
    Joles: The authors treat vampires in a similar light. The Strain could very well be what leads up to Matheson's I Am Legend.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (smiteme, questionablepotato)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (Joles)
    Joles: Undead creatures that reanimate with a nice bit of real-world science thrown in.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: you could say They Thirst would be a more likely reccomendation for this vampire novel. But I think the post-apocalyptic Swan Song is much more closesly related.
    Draculas by Jack Kilborn (Scottneumann)
    Children of the Night by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Those who enjoyed the undead returning to their original homes, and the horror of the vampire in a domestic setting, will love Salem's Lot, which did it first and did it a lot better.
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Uprising: Vampire Federation by Sean McCabe (mamaove)
    mamaove: Good versues evil theme with vampires
    The Missing by Sarah Langan (ahstrick)
    Live Girls by Ray Garton (dante414)
    Necroscope by Brian Lumley (leahsimone)
    Feed by Mira Grant (trav)
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (kraaivrouw)
    The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (ShelfMonkey)

English (254)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (265)
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It told an interesting story and was still a fast read. I've read that some don't like the changes to the vampire myth that Del Toro and Hogan made but I thought they worked.

My only gripe is there is a scene near the end that is a little too much like a scene in Blade 2 (also done by Del Toro). But overall very enjoyable, and I look forward to the next ones. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
If you are looking for a traditional, supernatural, vampire story then look elsewhere. If, however, you are looking for an entertaining and somewhat scientifically based horror / apocalypse story then this might just be your cup of tea.

The Strain is a fairly modern “vampire” story and, as seems to be the habit of “big screen” authors today, it is fairly apocalyptic (not sure if that is a proper English word but what the heck, I am Swedish so…) one. I cannot really say that I am a outright fan of Guillermo Del Toro but I have generally liked his work. I would say that this book falls into the same category. I like it but I cannot say that I found it wow great.

I think the best parts of the book are the first ones when the basic premises of the story develops. This is more of a viral outbreak with quite a bit of a mystery woven into it kind of story. I found these parts quite entertaining.

After that the story turns more into a traditional apocalypse / end of the world as we know it kind of story. The story is good but it almost feels like it was written for a TV / Movie adaptation from the start. There are the usual elements, a divorce in progress, people behaving stupidly, dumbass lawyers screwing things up, politically “aware” people not wanting to do the right thing in time etc. etc…

Naturally a set of heroes crystallizes out of all the mess, Eph Goodweather of course being one of those. I think my favourite is the former professor. It is a shame that he is well…old and with a deteriorating health since I would really have liked this guy to kick some behinds. He seemed to have the predisposition to do just that.

The story itself, well I cannot say that it is very plausible. The “strain” part and the biological explanation I could have bought. They are not that bad. However, if these “vampires” are that powerful and can so easily spread their infection, why did they not conquer the world ages ago. Yes, yes, I know the book mentions some kind of “agreement” but it just does not make sense. Why live in the shadows when you, apparently, do not need to. This part of the story felt a bit “Hollywoodish” contrived.

But then, what the heck, it is fiction after all and just meant to be entertaining and that, I have to say, this book was.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
This book is the first in a trilogy that begins with a plane full of corpses. It certainly keeps the reader on the edge of their seat - first to figure out what killed all the people on the plan and then to see how the heroes are going to stop it from spreading. The characters were OK, even if they were a bit cliche. There was a lot of action if you like action (I tend to zone out if there are too many fight scenes). But the thing that bumped it to 4 stars for me was the suspense throughout the book. The authors did a great job creating that feeling of anxiety and worry. I didn't like that the ending was not really a resolution, but more of a cliff hanger. Overall I will probably continue the trilogy but might need a slower, less intense read next. ( )
  Cora-R | May 20, 2019 |
I liked this a lot better than 'The Passage'. This is going to make a great TV series.

2015 Update: I stuck with the series last summer. During the second episode of the series this year, my husband asked me why we were still watching "The Strain". I had no good answer. We turned off the television and haven't watched it since. It's a new low for Carlton Cuse. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Eigentlich eher 2.5 Sterne. Anfangs hat mich die Story schnell in ihren Bann gezogen aber die Handlung wurde bald vorhersehbar und auch mit den Figuren konnte ich keinen richtigen Draht aufbauen. Den Rest der Reihe werde ich mir wohl besser sparen und rein die Serie anschauen....irgendwann mal. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
I am torn about The Strain. I like it for all of its blood-sucking charms, but in order to do so, I’ve got to overlook some fairly major shortcomings in its mechanics. And I’ve got to do it all while somehow managing to avoid blaming Guillermo for anything.

It's so creepy that when I told my wife and daughter about it *they* got creeped out just from my description.

The Strain is a breakneck thrill ride chronicling only the first four days of the vampire plague that may destroy civilization. The cinematic quality really comes though, making the book feel more like a action blockbuster than a thought-provoking horror novel. The publisher is hyping the heck out of this book, and it will sell like a Dan Brown of the Undead. It has some dopey parts, but is also pretty entertaining and scary. This would be an excellent vacation read, although I would not recommend reading the first fifty pages on an airplane if you are a nervous flier. Save it for the beach soaking up the UV rays.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Chris Hsiang (Jun 2, 2009)

Un Boeing 777 aterriza en el aeropuerto John F. Kennedy de Nueva York proveniente de Berlín, y cuando se dirige a la puerta para que los pasajeros empiecen a desembarcar, de repente se oscurece. La torre de control pierde contacto con el piloto y toda la actividad eléctrica del aparato se corta. No se escuchan móviles, ni BlackBerries, ni la radio, nada. Las cortinas de las ventanillas están bajadas y no se ve a nadie dentro. Se reúne un equipo de emergencias y todos observan al avión silencioso ahora bañado por las luces del aeropuerto, en completo silencio. Parece una gigantesca lápida blanca que brilla contra el oscuro cielo de la noche.
Entonces una brecha negra aparece en el fuselaje: es una puerta que se abre desde dentro con una lentitud glacial…
Siempre han estado aquí. Vampiros. Anidando y alimentándose. En secreto y oscuridad. A la espera. Ahora ha llegado su momento. En una semana, Manhattan habrá desaparecido. En tres meses, todo el país. En seis meses, el mundo entero.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Del Toro, Guillermoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogan, Chuckmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Raitio, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to all nightmares, past and present, and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa...
and to all the monsters in my nursery:
May you never leave me alone
- GDT

For Lila
- CH
For my Lila -CH
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa ...
and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
For Lila -CH
The Legend of Jusef Sardu
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
Der var engang en kæmpe
Nothing can unman you like an un-man.

They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come.

In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country.

In two months—the world.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city—a city that includes his wife and son—before it is too late.

Abraham Setrakian, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust, joins forces with CDC specialist Eph Goodweather to battle a vampiric virus that has infected New York in this first installment in a thrilling trilogy about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Guillermo del Toro's book The Strain was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,424,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible