Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Strain

by Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan

Series: The Strain (book 1)

Abraham Setrakian, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust, joins forces with CDC specialist Eph Goodweather to battle a vampiric virus that has infected NewYork in this first installment in a thrilling trilogy about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity.
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Joles)
    Joles: The authors treat vampires in a similar light. The Strain could very well be what leads up to Matheson's I Am Legend.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (smiteme, questionablepotato)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (Joles)
    Joles: Undead creatures that reanimate with a nice bit of real-world science thrown in.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: you could say They Thirst would be a more likely reccomendation for this vampire novel. But I think the post-apocalyptic Swan Song is much more closesly related.
    Draculas by Jack Kilborn (Scottneumann)
    Children of the Night by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Those who enjoyed the undead returning to their original homes, and the horror of the vampire in a domestic setting, will love Salem's Lot, which did it first and did it a lot better.
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Uprising by Scott Mariani (mamaove)
    mamaove: Good versues evil theme with vampires
    The Missing by Sarah Langan (ahstrick)
    Live Girls by Ray Garton (dante414)
    Necroscope by Brian Lumley (leahsimone)
    Feed by Mira Grant (trav)
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (kraaivrouw)
    The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (ShelfMonkey)

English (259)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (270)
this was sort of awful, yet strangely compelling. don't judge me; i love guillermo del toro AND stories about the end of the world. VAMPARISITES, baby! it was a little genius.

we'll see where the next book takes us. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
Let me see if I can do this without giving away spoilers, ie, stick only to the info that's already relayed on the back cover. The writing is bad, it moves along at a nice pace, which is why the novel got the stars it got. My problem with it is I spent the first quarter of the novel thinking I'd heard this story, or something similar to it, before - and I had, in Stephen King's short "The Night Flyer." The rest of the novel read like a loose modernization of the classic Brahm Stoker, which for a vampire novel isn't unexpected, but still, I'd been hoping for something a little more. You can definitely see Del Toro's influence in the vignettes that are interspersed through the novel, which are very movie-like in their quick glimpses. But there were no major surprises or seat gripping moments, either. Good for a beach read or home sick. ( )
  kodermike | Jul 31, 2020 |
Very, very, VERY poor writing. ( )
  Mieiri | Jun 24, 2020 |
Interesting prelude to a vampire apocalypse. I did enjoy the more biological explanations and the tumorous horror aspects. I didn't like the slowness of the first half of the novel so much, but things sped up quite nicely, logically, and satisfyingly.

Although, honestly, I probably would have liked to see a different kind of trope develop rather than descending into the vampire's lair, but oh well.

It was a fun read. The horror was real. There was nothing tongue in cheek about anything. I appreciated how realistic it remained. A few scenes were quite powerful and disturbing, even to my jaded self.

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Forgot to mark this as finished. This was a romp. Very silly, not very scary, and I thought the mechanics of the... whatever we're going to call the infected, were a bit ridiculous. Fun enough to read and a good distraction, but I won't be keeping it. Straight to the charity shop with this. ( )
  RFellows | Apr 29, 2020 |
I am torn about The Strain. I like it for all of its blood-sucking charms, but in order to do so, I’ve got to overlook some fairly major shortcomings in its mechanics. And I’ve got to do it all while somehow managing to avoid blaming Guillermo for anything.

It's so creepy that when I told my wife and daughter about it *they* got creeped out just from my description.

The Strain is a breakneck thrill ride chronicling only the first four days of the vampire plague that may destroy civilization. The cinematic quality really comes though, making the book feel more like a action blockbuster than a thought-provoking horror novel. The publisher is hyping the heck out of this book, and it will sell like a Dan Brown of the Undead. It has some dopey parts, but is also pretty entertaining and scary. This would be an excellent vacation read, although I would not recommend reading the first fifty pages on an airplane if you are a nervous flier. Save it for the beach soaking up the UV rays.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Chris Hsiang (Jun 2, 2009)

Un Boeing 777 aterriza en el aeropuerto John F. Kennedy de Nueva York proveniente de Berlín, y cuando se dirige a la puerta para que los pasajeros empiecen a desembarcar, de repente se oscurece. La torre de control pierde contacto con el piloto y toda la actividad eléctrica del aparato se corta. No se escuchan móviles, ni BlackBerries, ni la radio, nada. Las cortinas de las ventanillas están bajadas y no se ve a nadie dentro. Se reúne un equipo de emergencias y todos observan al avión silencioso ahora bañado por las luces del aeropuerto, en completo silencio. Parece una gigantesca lápida blanca que brilla contra el oscuro cielo de la noche.
Entonces una brecha negra aparece en el fuselaje: es una puerta que se abre desde dentro con una lentitud glacial…
Siempre han estado aquí. Vampiros. Anidando y alimentándose. En secreto y oscuridad. A la espera. Ahora ha llegado su momento. En una semana, Manhattan habrá desaparecido. En tres meses, todo el país. En seis meses, el mundo entero.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

del Toro, Guillermoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogan, Chuckmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pearlman, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to all nightmares, past and present, and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa...
and to all the monsters in my nursery:
May you never leave me alone
- GDT

For Lila
- CH
For my Lila -CH
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa ...
and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
For Lila -CH
The Legend of Jusef Sardu
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
Der var engang en kæmpe
Nothing can unman you like an un-man.

They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come.

In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country.

In two months—the world.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city—a city that includes his wife and son—before it is too late.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Guillermo del Toro's book The Strain was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,446,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible