The Strain by Guillermo del Toro

The Strain (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan (Author)

Member:angelikat
Title:The Strain
Authors:Guillermo del Toro (Author)
Other authors:Chuck Hogan (Author)
Info:Pymble, NSW ; New York : HarperCollins, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Horror, Ghosties & Thingys, Fiction
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Vampires, Infectious Disease, CDC, Horror

The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, cdnicoll, zkazy, PoisonPine, skalleen, markfen501, kpoole1991
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Joles)
    Joles: The authors treat vampires in a similar light. The Strain could very well be what leads up to Matheson's I Am Legend.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (smiteme, questionablepotato)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (Joles)
    Joles: Undead creatures that reanimate with a nice bit of real-world science thrown in.
    Draculas by Jack Kilborn (Scottneumann)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: you could say They Thirst would be a more likely reccomendation for this vampire novel. But I think the post-apocalyptic Swan Song is much more closesly related.
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Children of the Night by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Uprising: Vampire Federation by Sean McCabe (mamaove)
    mamaove: Good versues evil theme with vampires
    Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant (trav)
    Live Girls by Ray Garton (dante414)
    The Missing by Sarah Langan (ahstrick)
    Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4) by Stephen King (kraaivrouw)
    Necroscope by Brian Lumley (leahsimone)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Those who enjoyed the undead returning to their original homes, and the horror of the vampire in a domestic setting, will love Salem's Lot, which did it first and did it a lot better.
    Green Mile book 2: The Mouse on the Mile: The Green Mile, part 2 (Green Mile) by Stephen King (ShelfMonkey)

English (206)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (214)
I read this a couple years ago. I remember that it was fun at the time but can't really remember anything else about it. No images stick in my mind. ( )
  jhaggis | Apr 24, 2015 |
Ephraim Goodweather is just your average, run-of-the-mill genius epidemiologist. He works with the government to contain and eradicate incipient outbreaks. Luckily, Eph has just cleared his schedule for the weekend so he can spend time with his son during his precious moments of visitation. Only, wouldn't you know it, a weird virus is threatening all of Manhattan!

Eh, this is a pretty bad take on vampires. The concept is not terrible, but the execution is just ... awful. All the characters are flat, one-note caricatures. Not the least of whom is Ephraim, a simmering cauldron of testosterone only kept in check by his bedrock discipline and high ideals. For all that he's supposed to be a genius scientist, he actually comes off as your standard meathead judging by how quickly he drops his stethoscope and picks up a silver sword to go vampire hunting.

Not just that though, this book is chock full of thinly veiled chauvinism. I don't think I'm normally too sensitive about this type of thing, but all the women in this book are either bitches or faceless tits-on-legs. The prime example is Kelly, Ephraim's ex-wife who is in the middle of a nasty custody battle with him over their son, Zach. Why they split up is a mystery to Eph and as the plot unfolds we find out that the reason is because Kelly couldn't stand how smart and successful he was and ultimately wanted to hurt him personally so she demanded a separation. What? I'm trying to believe that the author doesn't actually hate women and just got lazy and couldn't come up with a good reason so just wrote this as an after thought. But then, I'm not really sure which scenario is worse. I can't recommend it. ( )
  Juva | Apr 11, 2015 |
I read this book because I wanted to see how it differed from the TV series that aired on Fox. I am happy to say that the book differs enough to warrant reading the rest of the trilogy. The main characters are all there plus a few extras to paint a better picture of what is going on in the book. It's not quite the page turner that I thought it would be but that's likely because I've seen the TV series already. I look foreword to reading the other two books. ( )
  cfwilliams | Mar 26, 2015 |
My first exposure to The Strain was through the television show, which I found to be so awful that I couldn't make it past the second episode. I figured I would give the novel a chance, and it turned out to be better than I anticipated and far better than the television show. Despite that, there are still some plot holes in the novel that bring it down.

I think that the overall concept is interesting (which was the reason why I tried out the television show to begin with). A plane lands in New York, and all of the passengers but four appear to be dead, except there is nothing to show how they all died and the four survivors offer no incite. Ephraim is a scientist working for the CDC investigating the case. The culprit is a master vampire, whose coffin was on the plane. Even though the baddies are vampires, vampirism is considered a virus here. I never saw the virus connection, since they are still pretty much traditional vampires. My guess is that is how they make the CDC connection. There are seven master vampires spread throughout the world and the master on the plane is trying to create a war and annihilate the human race.

Although I generally liked this novel, there were some definite plot holes. The most glaring one is that the second richest person in the world helps the master vampire get across the seas from Europe to the United States to set up this invasion, which made absolutely no sense to me. Why would someone with so much to lose try to destroy the human race? The explanation provided was lame. Generally, I thought the characters were solid. I especially liked Setrakian, a Nazi prison camp survivor, who has spent his whole life preparing for a vampire infestation after the Master fed on people in his prison camp. There was some positive and some negative, but overall this was good enough that I would like to continue reading this series.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Mar 22, 2015 |
A plane dies on the tarmac and no one knows what's going on. CDC dude Ephraim (of the crappy divorce and weird child) and the lady who isn't well written so I don't remember her name (doesn't pass the bechdel test) anyway, the vampire disease is passed through parasitic slugs and the Big Dog vampire is almost as awesome as the old man with the sword cane. ( )
  ooshwiggity | Feb 1, 2015 |
I am torn about The Strain. I like it for all of its blood-sucking charms, but in order to do so, I’ve got to overlook some fairly major shortcomings in its mechanics. And I’ve got to do it all while somehow managing to avoid blaming Guillermo for anything.

It's so creepy that when I told my wife and daughter about it *they* got creeped out just from my description.

The Strain is a breakneck thrill ride chronicling only the first four days of the vampire plague that may destroy civilization. The cinematic quality really comes though, making the book feel more like a action blockbuster than a thought-provoking horror novel. The publisher is hyping the heck out of this book, and it will sell like a Dan Brown of the Undead. It has some dopey parts, but is also pretty entertaining and scary. This would be an excellent vacation read, although I would not recommend reading the first fifty pages on an airplane if you are a nervous flier. Save it for the beach soaking up the UV rays.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Chris Hsiang (Jun 2, 2009)

Guillermo Del Toroprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogan, Chuckmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Raitio, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to all nightmares, past and present, and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
For my Lila -CH
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa ...
and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
For Lila -CH
The Legend of Jusef Sardu
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
Der var engang en kæmpe
Nothing can unman you like an un-man.

They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come.

In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country.

In two months—the world.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city—a city that includes his wife and son—before it is too late.

Abraham Setrakian, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust, joins forces with CDC specialist Eph Goodweather to battle a vampiric virus that has infected New York in this first installment in a thrilling trilogy about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,715,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible