The Strain by Guillermo del Toro

The Strain (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Guillermo del Toro (Author), Chuck Hogan (Author)

Member:angelikat
Title:The Strain
Authors:Guillermo del Toro (Author)
Other authors:Chuck Hogan (Author)
Info:Pymble, NSW ; New York : HarperCollins, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Horror, Ghosties & Thingys, Fiction
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Vampires, Infectious Disease, CDC, Horror

The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (2009)

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Joles)
    Joles: The authors treat vampires in a similar light. The Strain could very well be what leads up to Matheson's I Am Legend.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (smiteme, questionablepotato)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (Joles)
    Joles: Undead creatures that reanimate with a nice bit of real-world science thrown in.
    Draculas by Jack Kilborn (Scottneumann)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: you could say They Thirst would be a more likely reccomendation for this vampire novel. But I think the post-apocalyptic Swan Song is much more closesly related.
    Children of the Night by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Feed by Mira Grant (trav)
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Uprising: Vampire Federation by Sean McCabe (mamaove)
    mamaove: Good versues evil theme with vampires
    Live Girls by Ray Garton (dante414)
    The Missing by Sarah Langan (ahstrick)
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (kraaivrouw)
    Necroscope by Brian Lumley (leahsimone)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Those who enjoyed the undead returning to their original homes, and the horror of the vampire in a domestic setting, will love Salem's Lot, which did it first and did it a lot better.
    The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (ShelfMonkey)

English (237)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All (248)
Vampires. The word alone will likely draw an image immediately to mind. Chances are, each one of us will have a slightly different image. Vampires being such a versatile creature in fiction, I’ve begun to consider them on a bit of a sliding scale: one end being the fully romanticized, all but human portrayals, where the vampires have a full range of intellectual and emotional capability. The other end has the feral, bestial type, controlled by insatiable bloodlust. What you see will mostly depend on your personal taste.

The Strain leans on the latter end, with mixed results. The creatures presented are undoubtedly frightening, but what, if anything, makes them distinctly scary as vampires?

Full review: https://thebechdelscream.wordpress.com/2015/06/01/the-strain/ ( )
  thebechdelscream | Nov 28, 2016 |
I really had higher expectations for this. I read a review that stated this story started off strong and lost steam along the way-I agree. I did enjoy the zombie twist on vampires though. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
In New York, a Boeing 777 flying from overseas lands at JFK Airport...and then goes silent. No radio contact, no lights, no movement from the inside. After a tense situation in which fears of a terrorist bomb are prevalent, the plane is boarded, and all the passengers are found dead. None of it makes sense, there is no signs of trauma, no signs of gas or chemical poisoning, there's nothing.

Dr. Goodweather, a scientist working for the Centers for Disease control, treats the event as one of the deadliest pathogenic outbreaks in history, but when the bodies start disappearing from the morgue and a crazy old man spouts claims of vampirism as he walks down the street, he has to start restructuring the way he looks at the world - the fate of the city, and perhaps humanity as a whole, may depend on it.

I have extremely mixed feeling about this. The beginning was AMAZING, before the vampires come to light (so to speak.) It's so well-written, in a gripping can't-put-it-down sort of way. Unfortunately, that quickly changed about halfway through the book, because once the vampires make their appearance, the book devolves into a tedious, repetitive action book. There's only so many times I can read a vampire getting it's head cut off before I lose interest, and there was a LOT of that towards the end. Over, and over, and over again.

I also had a major issue with the consistency of the second half. The vampires are often described a certain way, which I don't want to spoil, but every time during an action sequence all I could think was that if the vampires behaved like the authors DESCRIBED, then there is no way the characters would survive the encounter. Also, to speak incredibly generically here, I had a major issue with the worms, because if those worked they way they are described at the end of the book then the beginning should have been entirely different. It kind of felt like the authors were making it up as they went, but never went back and re-editted the scenes from the beginning. It's also possible this is just an issue with the dual-authorship. I'm not sure how it was written, or who wrote what, but I'd certainly like to know who wrote the pre-vampire section, because that was great.

I'm still interested in finishing the series. I had such a great time reading the first half of the book that I'm hoping between books the authors got it together, if book 2 is a little less action-oriented and a bit more consistent it'll be a smash hit for me! ( )
  Ape | Oct 25, 2016 |
Extremely entertaining & highly recommended!!! Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan give us creatures of the night we can fear again thrown into a thrilling, suspenseful, and action packed tale. ( )
  TBones | Oct 20, 2016 |
The Strain starts strong, real strong. So strong in parts I got goosebumps. That Mr Leech is here part? Awesome!

Then about half way it has a bit of a stumble and the tone of the book seems to change.

The premise of the book is vampirism from a scientific / virus angle and traces it's roots to events in Europe. The story is written in a realistic manner which gives a feeling that it really could be possible as opposed to the fantastical writing of some vampire type novels.

You can definitely tell it's written for a trilogy, the end is a pause more than a resolution.

Overall, 4.5 / 5 stars. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Aug 7, 2016 |
I am torn about The Strain. I like it for all of its blood-sucking charms, but in order to do so, I’ve got to overlook some fairly major shortcomings in its mechanics. And I’ve got to do it all while somehow managing to avoid blaming Guillermo for anything.

It's so creepy that when I told my wife and daughter about it *they* got creeped out just from my description.

The Strain is a breakneck thrill ride chronicling only the first four days of the vampire plague that may destroy civilization. The cinematic quality really comes though, making the book feel more like a action blockbuster than a thought-provoking horror novel. The publisher is hyping the heck out of this book, and it will sell like a Dan Brown of the Undead. It has some dopey parts, but is also pretty entertaining and scary. This would be an excellent vacation read, although I would not recommend reading the first fifty pages on an airplane if you are a nervous flier. Save it for the beach soaking up the UV rays.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Chris Hsiang (Jun 2, 2009)

Un Boeing 777 aterriza en el aeropuerto John F. Kennedy de Nueva York proveniente de Berlín, y cuando se dirige a la puerta para que los pasajeros empiecen a desembarcar, de repente se oscurece. La torre de control pierde contacto con el piloto y toda la actividad eléctrica del aparato se corta. No se escuchan móviles, ni BlackBerries, ni la radio, nada. Las cortinas de las ventanillas están bajadas y no se ve a nadie dentro. Se reúne un equipo de emergencias y todos observan al avión silencioso ahora bañado por las luces del aeropuerto, en completo silencio. Parece una gigantesca lápida blanca que brilla contra el oscuro cielo de la noche.
Entonces una brecha negra aparece en el fuselaje: es una puerta que se abre desde dentro con una lentitud glacial…
Siempre han estado aquí. Vampiros. Anidando y alimentándose. En secreto y oscuridad. A la espera. Ahora ha llegado su momento. En una semana, Manhattan habrá desaparecido. En tres meses, todo el país. En seis meses, el mundo entero.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Del Toro, Guillermoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogan, Chuckmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Raitio, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to all nightmares, past and present, and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa...
and to all the monsters in my nursery:
May you never leave me alone
- GDT

For Lila
- CH
For my Lila -CH
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa ...
and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
For Lila -CH
The Legend of Jusef Sardu
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
Der var engang en kæmpe
Nothing can unman you like an un-man.

They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come.

In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country.

In two months—the world.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city—a city that includes his wife and son—before it is too late.

Abraham Setrakian, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust, joins forces with CDC specialist Eph Goodweather to battle a vampiric virus that has infected New York in this first installment in a thrilling trilogy about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,747,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible