The Strain by Guillermo del Toro

The Strain (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan (Author)

Member:angelikat
Title:The Strain
Authors:Guillermo del Toro (Author)
Other authors:Chuck Hogan (Author)
Info:Pymble, NSW ; New York : HarperCollins, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Horror, Ghosties & Thingys, Fiction
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Vampires, Infectious Disease, CDC, Horror

The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro (2009)

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Joles)
    Joles: The authors treat vampires in a similar light. The Strain could very well be what leads up to Matheson's I Am Legend.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (smiteme, questionablepotato)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (Joles)
    Joles: Undead creatures that reanimate with a nice bit of real-world science thrown in.
    Draculas by Jack Kilborn (Scottneumann)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: you could say They Thirst would be a more likely reccomendation for this vampire novel. But I think the post-apocalyptic Swan Song is much more closesly related.
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Children of the Night by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Uprising: Vampire Federation by Sean McCabe (mamaove)
    mamaove: Good versues evil theme with vampires
    Feed by Mira Grant (trav)
    Live Girls by Ray Garton (dante414)
    The Missing by Sarah Langan (ahstrick)
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (kraaivrouw)
    Necroscope by Brian Lumley (leahsimone)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Those who enjoyed the undead returning to their original homes, and the horror of the vampire in a domestic setting, will love Salem's Lot, which did it first and did it a lot better.
    Green Mile book 2: The Mouse on the Mile: The Green Mile, part 2 (Green Mile) by Stephen King (ShelfMonkey)

English (209)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (219)
A plane arrives in New York and as it is taxing toward the terminal it goes dark. Completely dark! No power, not communication and no signs of life are apparent. Not knowing what to expect on board investigators call in the CDC. When Dr. Goodweather steps on board the plane he witnesses the unexplainable, all but four passengers are dead. A plague of some sort? Further investigation leads them nowhere and compounding the mystery if the disappearance of a large cabinet listed on the plane’s manifest. It is most definitely a plague. A virus that reanimates the dead into vampires and it is spreading throughout New York city and if not controlled … the world.

I have often stated in my reviews that I am a bit of a purist when it comes to vampires. I like the myths and legends surrounding Dracula. I am also forever drawn to vampire stories. Del Toro and Hogan take the classic vampire lore and give it a 21st century twist, staying true to the bloodthirsty traditions. There are no young, handsome heart-throb vampires in this book, so I can forgive them the lack of fangs. This is the first of a trilogy so I will definitely be reading the following two books.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
An entertaining read, but better as a TV show. ( )
  Marliese | Jun 21, 2015 |
A gripping start led to a disappointing ending. The writing is well crafted, yet the overall story leaves something to be desired. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
A good take on the vampire legend, added with the ever present fear of disease spreading. A fast paced read without gratuitous violence and sex that seems to be a staple for some authors in the horror genre. ( )
  TJCams | May 5, 2015 |
I read this a couple years ago. I remember that it was fun at the time but can't really remember anything else about it. No images stick in my mind. ( )
  jhaggis | Apr 24, 2015 |
I am torn about The Strain. I like it for all of its blood-sucking charms, but in order to do so, I’ve got to overlook some fairly major shortcomings in its mechanics. And I’ve got to do it all while somehow managing to avoid blaming Guillermo for anything.

It's so creepy that when I told my wife and daughter about it *they* got creeped out just from my description.

The Strain is a breakneck thrill ride chronicling only the first four days of the vampire plague that may destroy civilization. The cinematic quality really comes though, making the book feel more like a action blockbuster than a thought-provoking horror novel. The publisher is hyping the heck out of this book, and it will sell like a Dan Brown of the Undead. It has some dopey parts, but is also pretty entertaining and scary. This would be an excellent vacation read, although I would not recommend reading the first fifty pages on an airplane if you are a nervous flier. Save it for the beach soaking up the UV rays.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Chris Hsiang (Jun 2, 2009)

Un Boeing 777 aterriza en el aeropuerto John F. Kennedy de Nueva York proveniente de Berlín, y cuando se dirige a la puerta para que los pasajeros empiecen a desembarcar, de repente se oscurece. La torre de control pierde contacto con el piloto y toda la actividad eléctrica del aparato se corta. No se escuchan móviles, ni BlackBerries, ni la radio, nada. Las cortinas de las ventanillas están bajadas y no se ve a nadie dentro. Se reúne un equipo de emergencias y todos observan al avión silencioso ahora bañado por las luces del aeropuerto, en completo silencio. Parece una gigantesca lápida blanca que brilla contra el oscuro cielo de la noche.
Entonces una brecha negra aparece en el fuselaje: es una puerta que se abre desde dentro con una lentitud glacial…
Siempre han estado aquí. Vampiros. Anidando y alimentándose. En secreto y oscuridad. A la espera. Ahora ha llegado su momento. En una semana, Manhattan habrá desaparecido. En tres meses, todo el país. En seis meses, el mundo entero.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Guillermo Del Toroprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogan, Chuckmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogan, Chuckmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Raitio, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to all nightmares, past and present, and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa...
and to all the monsters in my nursery:
May you never leave me alone
- GDT

For Lila
- CH
For my Lila -CH
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa ...
and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
For Lila -CH
The Legend of Jusef Sardu
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
Der var engang en kæmpe
Nothing can unman you like an un-man.

They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come.

In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country.

In two months—the world.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city—a city that includes his wife and son—before it is too late.

Abraham Setrakian, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust, joins forces with CDC specialist Eph Goodweather to battle a vampiric virus that has infected New York in this first installment in a thrilling trilogy about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,013,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible