Ireland's Civil War by Calton Younger

Ireland's Civil War (1968)

by Calton Younger

The Bible by Bible (waltzmn)
    waltzmn: Calton Younger's book is about terrorism in the cause of patriotism, and with strong religious overtones. Perhaps, before approaching such a book, it is worth reminding ourselves that both sides in this conflict claimed to worship a God who declared, "Love your enemies, and pray for those that persecute you...." Or if that is too complicated, at least the Bible might remind us of what they were fighting about....… (more)

Other reviewers have praised this book both for its readability and its accuracy. I concur on the accuracy. On the readability -- that is in the eye of the beholder. To one who is neutral on Anglo-Irish issues, it seems far too willing to condone Irish terrorism -- and unwilling to extend the same forgiveness to English terrorism. To me, terror is terror, and I don't care who commits it; the terrorists on both sides were wrong. That renders it almost unreadable to me. ( )
  waltzmn | Sep 15, 2011 |
An excellent read which stands the test of time since it was first written. Younger traces how the Civil War came into being and the events that led up to it by giving a brief introduction into the Rising, the War of Independence and the Treaty and the Debates. His analysis is very balanced and well referenced given the access he had to active participants in the Civil War. ( )
  thegeneral | Jan 4, 2011 |
Does its best to be impartial, though moderately pro-free state, as am I. ( )
  antiquary | Oct 30, 2007 |
For Dee
Author's Note -- When I was a small boy, I read a story about Ireland's Civil War in an annual -- The Purple Book for Boys, I think.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,984,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible