The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New…

The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of…

by Harvey Karp

This book got a lot of good reviews, so I thought I'd give it a try. There were a few ideas that I liked, such as acknowledging your child's feelings before trying to stop or change them and keeping to short words and phrases when he/she is upset instead of suddenly "explaining" why he can't have something in long sentences. These things make sense to me and have seemed to help a little, but a lot of the book I found to be really silly. Maybe it will make more sense when my son is older, but I don't think it will really fit my parenting style. Also, the book has all of these annoying cartoons interspersed throughout the chapters and the anecdotes of real-life situations seem really contrived. ( )
  japaul22 | Jul 25, 2014 |
Toddler-ese isn't working on my 16 month old yet, but I really like how Karl encourages parents to be respectful of their child's feelings. ( )
  periwinklejane | Mar 30, 2013 |
A book of some really good tips on parenting. I've been practicing on my 13-month old, and some like the FFR aren't working, but I expect it's because of his limited English. I'll be reviewing this later. Note that some of the later sections are wordy, but it also helped to reread the same simple ideas to have them sink in. ( )
  VVilliam | Aug 24, 2010 |
Karp's follow-up to The Happiest Baby on the Block offers very practical advice to parents for dealing with the toddler years of 1 to 4 years old. I think it's an even better book partly because it avoids the "infomercial style" of writing and is a more practical manual. The basic gist of the book is that when a child starts to throw a tantrum the parent should acknowledge what is upsetting by repeating back it back ("the fast food rule") and to use a simple vocabulary of words called "toddlerese" that toddlers will understand most when they are upset. This book doesn't have all the answers, for example, what to say to your son when you have no idea what is making him upset. Overall though I found it a book with useful advice and practically organized. ( )
  Othemts | Nov 5, 2009 |
Tactics to reduce tantrums and improve toddler behavior. Not all winners (I tried, I just can't "growl" at my child) but enough good ones to make this book worthwhile. ( )
  justjill | Oct 13, 2009 |

Toddlers can drive you bonkers…so adorable and fun one minute…so stubborn and demanding the next! Yet, as unbelievable as it sounds, there is a way to turn the daily stream of “nos” and “don’ts” into “yeses” and hugs…if you know how to speak your toddler’s language. In one of the most useful advances in parenting techniques of the past twenty-five years, Dr. Karp reveals that toddlers, with their immature brains and stormy outbursts, should be thought of not as pint-size people but as pintsize…cavemen.

Having noticed that the usual techniques often failed to calm crying toddlers, Dr. Karp discovered that the key to effective communication was to speak to them in their own primitive language. When he did, suddenly he was able to soothe their outbursts almost every time! This amazing success led him to the realization that children between the ages of one and four go through four stages of “evolutionary” growth, each linked to the development of the brain, and each echoing a step in prehistoric humankind’s journey to civilization:

• The “Charming Chimp-Child” (12 to 18 months): Wobbles around on two legs, grabs everything in reach, plays a nonstop game of “monkey see monkey do.”
• The “Knee-High Neanderthal” (18 to 24 months): Strong-willed, fun-loving, messy, with a vocabulary of about thirty words, the favorites being “no” and “mine.”
• The “Clever Caveman” (24 to 36 months):
Just beginning to learn how to share, make friends, take turns, and use the potty.
• The “Versatile Villager” (36 to 48 months): Loves to tell stories, sing songs and dance, while trying hard to behave.

To speak to these children, Dr. Karp has developed two extraordinarily effective techniques:
1) The “fast food” rule—restating what your child has said to make sure you got it right;
2) The four-step rule—using gesture, repetition, simplicity, and tone to help your
irate Stone-Ager be happy again.

Once you’ve mastered “toddler-ese,” you will be ready to apply behavioral techniques specific to each stage of your child’s development, such as teaching patience and calm, doing time-outs (and time-ins), praise through “gossiping,” and many other strategies. Then all the major challenges of the toddler years—including separation anxiety, sibling rivalry, toilet training, night fears, sleep problems, picky eating, biting and hitting, medicine taking can be handled in a way that will make your toddler feel understood. The result: fewer tantrums, less yelling, and, best of all, more happy, loving time for you and your child.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:36 -0400)

From the renowned pediatrician who taught parents how to calm their crying babies in "The Happiest Baby on the Block" comes a breakthrough book that explains a new way to raise a secure and well-behaved 1 to 4 year old and prevent a toddler's tantrums.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,778,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible