Into the Kill Zone: A Cop's Eye View of…

Into the Kill Zone: A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force

by David Klinger

Book is about police shootings--the oral histories chosen by author do little to explore how police feel after killing civilians, although they do explicitly describe how it feels in the moment of the shooting.

The author has very racist views--he believes that "Blacks committ more crime" than whites, therefore that explains easily why more blacks are shot by police than whites. He devotes an entire paragraph to this, then dismisses it.

If the author's comments are ignored, and only the oral histories are read, and if the fact that the oral histories chosen for the book are slanted towards "police are always right/criminals are always wrong" is ignored, then the book is an interesting read on how police feel when shooting at civilians and being shot at. ( )
  veracruzlynn | Jul 3, 2010 |
For my beloved cousin Barry, Who never made it back to tell his story.
For my beautiful bride, Sonia, Whose loving-kindness helped me make peace with my visit.
And for our precious daughter, Carly. May she never have to go there.
Edward Randolph was twenty-six years old when I killed him. I was twenty-three.
I first laid eyes on him less than a minute before I shot him, so I didn't know his name, how old he was, or anything else about him before I ended his life. I didn't even get a good look at his face before I pulled the trigger, and he died a few minutes after that. I was fifteen feet away when his heart stopped, watching the paramedics tending to the wounds that I had inflicted moments before.

What's it like to have the legal sanction to shoot and kill? This compelling and often startling book answers this, and many other questions about the oft-times violent world inhabited by our nation's police officers. Written by a cop-turned university professor who interviewed scores of officers who have shot people in the course of their duties, Into the Kill Zone presents firsthand accounts of the role that deadly force plays in American police work. This brilliantly written book tells how novice officers are trained to think about and use the power they have over life and death, explains how cops live with the awesome responsibility that comes from the barrels of their guns, reports how officers often hold their fire when they clearly could have shot, presents hair-raising accounts of what it's like to be involved in shoot-outs, and details how shooting someone affects officers who pull the trigger. From academy training to post-shooting reactions, this book tells the compelling story of the role that extreme violence plays in the lives of America's cops.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:52 -0400)

"What's it like to have official sanction to shoot and kill? In this controversial, and compelling book, author David Klinger - who himself shot and killed a suspect during his first year as an officer in the Los Angeles Police Department - answers this and many other questions about what it's like to live and work in the place where police officers have to make split-second decisions about life and death." "Klinger, now a university professor writes about what happens when police officers find themselves face-to-face with dangerous criminals, the excruciating decisions they have to make to shoot or to hold their fire, and how they deal with the consequences of their choices.""Klinger presents the stories of other officers who have visited The Kill Zone to tell the reader what it's like: the female cop who is overcome with remorse after shooting an assailant who turned out to be unarmed, the SWAT team member who has only one narrow shot at a robber holding two kids and their mother as human shields, the off-duty officer who engaged in a wild courthouse shoot-out with a man who looked just like his father, and many other intensely dramatic, beautifully told episodes that convey what officers experience before, during, and after gunfights."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,906,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible