A World I Never Made by James LePore

A World I Never Made

by James LePore

This is a book I found on Pixel of Ink. It's the story of a father and so have been lost to each other from the moment of the daughter's birth but it is also the story of faith and patriotism. Pat and Megan Nolan were separated by the death of Pat's wife who died while giving birth to Megan. Megan becomes a product of the blame Pat placed on her at birth and in time flees to Europe and becomes a writer. There she hears of the 9/11 attacks which change the direction of her life. She begins investigating terrorist cells. And so begins her destiny and which sends Pat on a search for his daughter. This has been one of my favorite books of the year. It was perhaps written in a way that was too matter of fact for me which stopped me from giving it 5 stars but if you like spy novels (which I don't typically read) you will probably like this one. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
I really enjoyed A World I Never Made. Even though I pretty much had figured out what was going on from the beginning, I found it a well-told and gripping thriller - some elements of a police procedural mystery, some elements of a terrorist plot type thriller, and a bit of romance running through. LePore went back and forth between present day (mostly in France) and the backstory (mostly in Morocco) - a technique I sometimes dislike as it keeps pulling me out of the story, but well-done here, I thought, with each strand evolving nicely as its own story thread. Interesting characters, although they could have been developed a bit more. Unfortunately, the Kindle formatting isn't great - for those who find that distracts greatly, you might hold off in hopes that it gets fixed - mostly spacing problems, plus a colon at the end of most sentences rather than a period. I was able to largely ignore and focus instead on the great story. I'll definitely be reading more of the author's work! ( )
  Booklover889 | Mar 17, 2016 |
As someone who loves spy, espionage and international suspense thrillers (beginning with The Bourne Identity when it was first published), I found James LePore's book (the first I've read by this author) to be a fine example of the genre. With a very up-to-date plot that didn't make the mistake of becoming too convoluted, this book kept me riveted until the end. I also came to care deeply about each of the three main characters, which is an ode to how well LePore portrayed them. I will definitely read more by this author. ( )
  DTChantel | Nov 12, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
A solid read. Well-written and it kept my attention. Lots of twists and turns. If you like international intrigue coupled with some personal angst, this book might just work for you. Language gets rough in a few spots, so you need to be aware of that. ( )
  dougbq | Mar 2, 2012 |
And how am I to face the odds
Of man's bedevilment and God's?
I, a stranger and afraid
In a world I never made
A.E. Housman, Last Poems
For her unfailing intercession on behalf of all those who seek it, this book is dedicated to Therese Martin, a child of France who died in 1897 at the age of 24 and who, in 1925, became St. Therese of Lisieux.
Dad, I don't owe you or anybody an explanation, but I think you'll appreciate the irony of a suicide note coming from a person who has abborred tradition all of her life.

Pat Nolan is summoned to Paris to identify the body of his daughter Megan, who committed suicide. When he arrives he finds that the body is not Megan's. Pat believes that Megan staged the event and is asking for help, along with Paris police detective Catherine Laurence, he sets out on a journey that stretches from Paris to the Czech Republic to find the truth.… (more)

James LePore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,200,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible