Night Creatures

by Wade Cooper, Nick Page

"Simple words and sentences combine with amazing photographs of real-life animals to make this an inspiring early reader that children will love to read together, read with help--and read alone!"--Cover back.

A brief summary:
In a poetic style, this book introduces the reader to a variety of night creatures, including owls, foxes, badgers, and bats. Each page has a riddle-like description of the animal along with "Did you know?" fact and a photo of the animal. The end of the book contains a quiz that has questions on the various night creatures such as, "What do owls eat?" and "What do moths use their antenna for?" The book also contains a dictionary and a page of key words that are used throughout the book.

My personal reaction:
I think this book is a good early reader as it uses simple rhyming patterns and pictures to help the reader learn new information and vocabulary on nocturnal creatures. I like how each description is like a riddle. The rhyme and structure of each riddle helps students learn new words by being able to identify word sound patterns and by being able to read and repeat individual sentences of the riddle for understanding.

A couple of uses:
- I would use the rhyming riddle structure of this book to teach kids how to make their own riddles about animals. This book is about nocturnal creatures, but I think it would be fun to apply this idea to other types of creatures, such as underwater creatures or dessert creatures. Each student could pick a creature from the specified category and then work on illustrating and writing their own riddle.
- I could use this as a mentor text for showing students how to use the pictures of an informational book to uncover more information about the subject. For example, I could have students look at the pictures and ask themselves questions such as, "What would it feel like to touch?" and "What sound does it make?"

Genre:
informational

Media:
Digital photos
  Lucymae | Nov 18, 2016 |
We read this story in small groups and my kids love to read about the different nocturnal animals.
  mcalcagno | Apr 29, 2013 |
Review by 7 year old niece (posted as written):

This book is about animals who sleep in the day and are awake at night. The owl eats live mice and then yarks up the fur and bones. Cool. Bats live in caves or trees. I also knew that moths and skunks are night animals. I learned that so are foxes and cougars and badgers. I was surpride that kangaroos are. I just learned what a bush baby is. They forgot Coyotes and Possa and Racoons. They are bad at poetry. ( )
  Phoenix333 | Dec 26, 2010 |

Wade Cooperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Page, Nickmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,786,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible