My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King…

My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King (Illinois)

by Reymundo Sanchez

173None68,488 (4.01)2

I am normally skeptical of the "memoirs" of gang members. However, Sanchez admits in several places to a lack of knowledge and to being scared of what might happen to him. While I am sure there is some embellishing of the truth, I think there is less than in most similar items. ( )
  Hedgepeth | Sep 8, 2010 |
This book will quickly grab the interest of any high school student. Reymundo Sanchez (pen name) tells about his unfortunate home life that led him to be one the most crazy and violent Latin King gang members in the Humboldt Park area of Chicago. Although the author was aged 12-18 in the book, some of his gang life experiences should be censored to students under 18. The book is definetly captivating, and I know most junior high and high school students who know about the book would love to get their hands on it. The discouraging thing is the author states early in the book that it was NOT written to glorify gang life, but for many young people, that's exactly what it does.
  aje3 | Jun 19, 2009 |
The book "My Bloody Life", was based about Reymundo's childhood. And how he grew up getting beat up by his parents. The beatings that he got from his parents, influenced him to do drugs. just to get away from stressing out, or feeling lonely. His words are very powerful, and he even talks about his first sexual activity with a woman that was in her 30's. By the age of 14, reymundo had already started to live independent. He had no family, and only had the king brothers with him. He became a criminal, not willing to open his eyes to reality and that his so called brothers, aren't really there for him. At one point, he became so homeless, and hungry, that he had to experince homosexuality. He didn't do it for pleasure, or because he's crazy, he only experienced it because he was in need for food and money.

I think every kid influenced into gangs should read this book. They need to open their eyes, and see that being in a gang isnt just to be cool, it can be dangerous,and can be putting peoples lives in danger.

I enjoyed reading this book. it tought me the truth, and hopefully it can do the same with other people. ( )
  glory_93 | Jan 16, 2009 |
it was great! i read it twice! ( )
  bperkins | Jan 12, 2009 |
This gut has been through alot.I know that other people have been throught that also.It is a reall good book to read I know some what,what he's going through.
  FMB_08 | Nov 12, 2008 |

A former member of the Latin King gang describes his search as a young Latino for a place to call home, discussing his abusive childhood; his escape to drugs, alcohol, sex, and the streets of Chicago; and his entry into one of the largest street gangs inAmerica.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,442,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible