Incarnation: The Person and Life of Christ…

Incarnation: The Person and Life of Christ (edition 2015)

by Thomas F Torrance (Author)

The late Thomas F. Torrance has been called "the greatest Reformed theologian since Karl Barth" and "the greatest British theologian of the twentieth century" by prominent voices in the academy. His work has profoundly shaped contemporary theology in the English-speaking world. This first of two volumes comprises Thomas Torrance's lectures delivered to students in Christian Dogmatics on Christology at New College, Edinburgh, from 1952 to 1978 and amounts to the most comprehensive presentation of Torrance's understanding of the incarnation ever published. In eight chapters these expertly edited lectures highlight Torrance's distinctive belief that the object of our theological study--Jesus Christ--actively gives himself to us in order that we may know him, as well as unpack Torrance's well-developed understanding of our union with Christ and how it impacts the Christian life. Also included are his reflections on the in-breaking of Christ's kingdom and its intense conflict with and victory over evil.Decidedly readable and filled with some of Torrence's most influential thought, this will be an important volume for scholars, professors and students of Christian theology for decades to come.… (more)
Member:RamziAdcock
Title:Incarnation: The Person and Life of Christ
Authors:Thomas F Torrance (Author)
Info:IVP Academic (2015), 424 pages
Collections:UST Library

Incarnation: The Person and Life of Christ by Thomas F. Torrance

Doctrinal Theology
  CPI | Aug 1, 2016 |
The centre of the Christian faith is the Christ, Jesus of Nazareth. Who Jesus is (Christology) and what Jesus did (Soteriology) comprise the crux of Christianity.

Thomas F. Torrance taught these two classes at Edinburgh University from 1952 to 1978. This volume, Incarnation, contains the notes of Torrance's Christology class as edited by Robert T. Walker. The book is dense and full of historical theological detail. Consuming Incarnation on the printed page was challenging enough—I can't imagine having to grasp this material in lecture format alone!

Torrance begins with a careful description of his "scientific method" which is probably not what you're assuming. For Torrance, a subject has to be studied according to its own internal logic. The Christ has given himself to be understood by scripture. Rather than import some modernist framework for understanding how Jesus is fully God and fully man, Torrance stays with the logic of scripture.

The most important theme of Incarnation is the atoning nature of the hypostatic union. Even though the second volume in this series is dedicated to Soteriology—Atonement, Torrance repeatedly emphasizes how the union of God and man in one person was a crucial element in the salvation of humanity. If your Christology is wrong, your Soteriology falls apart. The unassumed is the unredeemed.

Incarnation is full of detailed historical arguments, from Scripture to Patristics to the Reformation. Every view is carefully explained and evaluated. In order to better grasp this material, I have summarized and offered some reflections on each section on my blog (http://stephenbarkley.com/book-studies/incarnation-by-thomas-f-torrance).

In the end, Torrance's theology leads to doxology. You can't help but be inspired to worship the God-man who assumed our fallen human nature in order to redeem humanity. ( )
  StephenBarkley | Apr 25, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,719,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible