The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol.…

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Alan Moore

Member:selfnoise
Title:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1
Authors:Alan Moore
Info:DC Comics (2002), Graphic No, Paperback
Tags:graphic novel, fantasy, weirdfiction, metafiction, steampunk, read 2005

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (2000)

Recently added bytacorder, sevenayn, private library, SmallMonday, mattjan, navxela, Wingnut19_5, RasmusSN, colingorrie

English (71)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (73)
Well, Alan Moore's done it again.

Although Watchmen was by far a better novel, this one is nonetheless still entertaining. It was very steampunk, but very good. His take on the various literary characters - and the small cameos ("You know me well enough, call me Ishmael") made me chuckle and made me enjoy it.

I recommend this highly. It was very fun. I look forward to reading the rest. :) ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I was curious about this graphic novel series after seeing the movie, but I'm afraid the book left me even colder than the film. The story itself didn't hang together very well, there was an awful lot of filler, and I didn't care for the sloppy style of some of the illustrations. That said, I'm probably not the target audience for it. ( )
  mrsmig | Jan 19, 2018 |
The artwork in this was amazing! The story was very good as well ( )
  JillKenna | Dec 6, 2017 |

I'm not sure what I think about this book actually. It didn't really frighten or scare me like the first Sandman story, it didn't really make me think like Watchmen. It might not be fair to compare them, but they're basically the closest to this book that I've read. But I know that I do like Wilhelmina Murray quite a lot. I might just have heard this somewhere else, but she is the glue that sort of keeps all of these grand personalities together, she grounds the story. Though I don't like the implied romance between her and Quartermaine. Like no. Pls. No.

Also, there's SO MUCH RAPE HERE. In the beginning of the book, Wilhelmina is almost raped by an egyptian mob and Jekyll/Hyde, and they find Griffith raping schoolgirls. Alan Moore seems to like rape as plot device, and I don't know how I feel about that. I'm not super fond of it anyway. ( )
  redzheadz | Nov 9, 2017 |
B-side Alan Moore: often clever, but way too compact and rushed for anything to build up except an episodic action story. Pulp he promised, pulp he delivered. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Neill, KevinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dimagmaliw, BenColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oakley, WilliamLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The British Empire has always encountered difficulty in distinguishing between its heroes and its monsters. - Campion Bond from "Memoirs of an English Intelligencer. (Meeson's; 1908)
Mr. Bond. Good day to you, sir.

Features the Victorian era adventures of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, comprised of Captain Nemo, Allan Quartermain, the Invisible Man, Wilhelmina "Mina" Murray, Detective Thomas Sawyer, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible