The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol.…

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 (original 2000; edition 1999)

by Alan Moore

Member:tamster008
Title:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1
Authors:Alan Moore
Info:America's Best Comics (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:20th century, British, graphic novel, fantasy, victorian

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (2000)

Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Jess Nevins (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Heroes & Monsters is a book-length annotation for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1.
    Planetary: Leaving The 20th Century by Warren Ellis (Cynara)
    Cynara: Ellis shares Moore's desire to go mucking around in fin de siecle adventure fiction. Wonderfully good, both of them.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Mina Harker
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (LKAYC)
    Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman (Death_By_Papercut)
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (RocknRain)
    She by H. Rider Haggard (LKAYC)
    Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel by Paul Guinan (Othemts)
    Metalzoic by Pat Mills (apokoliptian)
    Five Fists Of Science by Matt Fraction (Othemts)
    The Remarkable Worlds of Professor Phineas B. Fuddle by Erez Yakin (Othemts)
    Sebastian O by Grant Morrison (fvenez)
    fvenez: They have a similar steampunkish setting, though Moore's plot and overall comic is much, much, better.
    Aetheric Mechanics by Warren Ellis (Cynara)
    Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (kraaivrouw)
    Legends: The Enchanted by Nick Percival (Death_By_Papercut)
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (lordbored)
    lordbored: The same use of historical and fictional characters in this work as in League.
    Camera Obscura by Lavie Tidhar (ShelfMonkey)

English (63)  Danish (1)  All languages (64)
Well, here we are closing in on two decades of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." It's been extraordinarily influential, on comic book culture (steampunk!), the culture at large (bricolage!), and my own sense of what it means to consume culture (the first book even the most compendious Victorianist wouldn't dare read without a wi-fi connection at hand). The dialogue is on point, the villains are dastardly, the action is unrolled with immense glee. It's an ambitious narrative art project that works--"what if every book took place in the same world?" The high concept is immaculate, and where I find myself a bit let down is with certain aspects of the execution that are not aging well: O'Neill's art (sometimes evocative, sometimes ugly and dehumanizing), the needless graphic violence (I can't help it, man, I had a kid and my balls fell off and now I don't want to look at people being eviscerated or use "balls" as a metaphor for masculine bloodlust anymore), the non-White characters ("pastiche" and "parody" are certainly the intent, but are too close to "ironic humour," itself too close to "just a bit of fun," for me to feel at ease, though I certainly said things myself in the nineties that I regret in the teens), and most of all the rapes, the rapes--there are like a dozen rapes and attempted rapes over the course of the series, played for drama or as "pastiche" again, of the damsel-in-distress, or in one or two cases, I'm sorry, Alan Moore, just for laffs, and I understand that it sucks when the generational wheel turns and the things that made you outré and intense become the things that align you with oppressive power structures and everything you hate, and I get the temptation to just wrap yourself in your dark majesty and storm offstage, but you're answerable--even as we all are. I for one am glad that the present is improving on the past, in some wise, even if it means it also holds the past to present standards regarding how this stuff is represented. Alan Moore, you also kind of did the same when you ransacked the past for your comic book and let the Martians deathray Trollope's kind reverend and all, to be fair. Maybe once quorum is reached on not using sexual assault as a cheap gimmick we can work on gore too? Literary history gives us so many wonderful stories, after all. ( )
4 vote MeditationesMartini | May 4, 2016 |
Frankly it's not my favorite artwork, and although I enjoy the characters, parts of this plot got a little bit muddy. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
The fact that he puts all those classic characters together is so fun and new. Made me wanna read the real story of each one of them ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
The Good: The premise is amazing. Tailor made for a movie. Which was then made, totally eclipsing the book.

The Bad:I loved the movie. I know, people aren't supposed to admit that, but I say it loud and often. So what if it made Sean Connery quit acting, it entertained me. Having said that, this graphic novels was not good. The artwork was unappealing. That's the best way to describe it. You know what's going on - it's not unclear or anything - but it's not pleasant to look at. It made me want to put the book down. I found it disagreeable to my eyes. The characters are awful people, and not in the fun movie way. Mina whines incessantly (strange as she is in charge now, apparently that's how Moore believes women lead). Quartermain is a drug addict who seems to be getting a his hate lust up way too much for the significantly younger Mina. The invisible man is a serial rapist, and we're supposed to find this acceptable behavior just because. No Tom Sawyer. No Dorian Gray. No fun, at all. ( )
1 vote TequilaReader | Feb 3, 2016 |
I love the concept of putting different literary characters from the same era together to interact. I'd love to see this done with more eras. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, KevinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dimagmaliw, BenColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oakley, WilliamLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The British Empire has always encountered difficulty in distinguishing between its heroes and its monsters. - Campion Bond from "Memoirs of an English Intelligencer. (Meeson's; 1908)
Mr. Bond. Good day to you, sir.

Graphic novel. In the absence of Sherlock Holmes, who is missing and presumed dead, a group of notable figures from Victorian England, both real and fiction, band together to fight crime.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,398,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible