Angel of Hope by Lurlene McDaniel

Angel of Hope

by Lurlene McDaniel

109None109,925 (3.93)1

This book is about a young girl named Heather and her mission experience to Africa. She leaves behind a comfortable LA life style and sees the way in which people in Africa live and the culture there. Upon being on a mission trip, she meets new friends that give her a better understanding of life and of God.

I love this book and have been reading and rereading it for years. It makes me want to go to Africa. You can visualize the Africa wilderness and it is neat to see how the characters react to being there. I learned a lot about what they eat over there. Many banannas and rice dishes. At one point in the book, a character is badly missing peanut butter from the sttates. This book made me appreciate peanut butter and the little things i take for granted.

For extension ideas, I would show the students how that the MercyShip that Heather and her friends traveled on was indeed a real ship with missionaries going around the world administering care. I would also cook African dishes to help them see what the missionaries ate and show slideshows or make use of virtual tours.
  AnnaMarieOkie | Jun 14, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553571486, Mass Market Paperback)

When Heather Barlow returns from Africa, the joy she felt during her missionary trip fades.  She's still suffering from unresolved grief over the death of her friend Ian, and now that she's back home in the United States, she feels directionless.  And while Heather has changed a great deal, her family has not.  She is discouraged to see that her sister, Amber, seems no more mature than when Heather left, her parents no less involved with a medical practice that caters to the wealthy.

Heather's sense of purpose is renewed when she persuades her mother to travel with her back to Uganda to try to save the baby she rescued on her mission trip.  But when Heather becomes ill and cannot undertake the journey, Amber agrees to go in her place.  Now Amber must emerge from her sister's shadow to grapple with the age-old question, "Am I my brother's keeper?"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:44 -0400)

After her older sister Heather, enthusiastic about changing the world, returns from doing medical missionary work in Uganda, seventeen-year-old Amber feels ignored and confused about her own future and decides to go back to Africa in Heather's place.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible