Ablutions by Patrick deWitt

Ablutions (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Patrick deWitt

Member:annesadleir
Title:Ablutions
Authors:Patrick deWitt
Info:Granta Books (2011), Kindle Edition, 180 pages
Collections:Your library, Read2012
Tags:Kindle, Nov2012

Ablutions by Patrick deWitt (2009)

English (14)  French (1)  All (15)
A bit of a disappointingly grim novel. I kind of knew what I was in for after the first few pages. Some of the characters are intriguing, but overall I found the story too scattered to be interesting. I also found the narrator's voice distracting. As the subtitle says (Notes for a Novel), the perspective is from that of "notes" where the narrator keeps referring to himself as "you." I just find that sort of a narrative perspective stilted. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
Very different, yet very entertaining novel. I don't usually enjoy second person narratives, but in this novel I forgot about the unfamiliar POV after the first page.

As the title suggests, the story reads like character sketches, with little bits about the unnamed narrator ("You") in between. Funny, a little dark, and ugly. Loved it. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
My second peter DeWitt book, not as good as sisters brothers, but still rates four stars. This guy is a master at character description, and there are some real characters in this book! ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is a hard book for me to review. I liked it. It's not as spectacular as The Sisters Brothers, but it's riveting nonetheless. Kind of like a trainwreck, it's hard to step away, to not look, to ignore the carnage.

"Trainwreck" in no way describes the writing; deWitt is a great writer, and even though this is a first novel it's not a beginning writer's output. The structure is unusual; at first I didn't "get it," but after a few pages it all started to make sense. I grew to love it. And even though much is in second person (Another book in second person! An epidemic!), it wasn't irritating. Go figure.

Much of this book is "simply" description - of people. Sad people. People who unravel.

The descriptions are good. They're telling.

And that's the trainwreck. This is not a happy book. Nobody is happy. Nobody lives a clean life. They're all low. Broke. Spoiled, and not in the silver spoon manner. They smell, they lose teeth. They drink, too much. They deteriorate.

This is a dark book. A soiled book. I didn't read this and feel lifted up, or hopeful, or glad.

But this is full of people. They felt real, and the bartender felt real, and I swear I once knew a guy just like him.
  ThePortPorts | Jan 10, 2016 |
This is a very good drinking/bar novel, a gush of slapstick pity and despair tracing the career (in both senses of the word) of a drunken barman in L.A. There are no saints, only miserable sinners, and there are only brief and intermittent instants of dignity amidst the depravity. It is, as the title suggests, very episodic, but I've read many texts less worthy of "novel" status than this. The drunkards in this book (which is everyone) are not lovable rogues, but more or less unsatisfactory people (although satisfyingly unique), and as such it's a believable society. There's a serviceable plot, too, which eventually takes wing with a drunken drive to Las Vegas/an unspecified desert town where everyone is even more wasted than back in the bar. A farcical love story occurs, and no one is left any the wiser as to anything, except that drinking is a very bad good idea, and Patrick deWitt is a very bad good writer. ( )
  yarb | Oct 3, 2015 |
For my father, Gary deWitt

the last of the old, bold pilots.
"Discuss the regulars."

In a famous but declining Hollywood bar works A Barman. Morbidly amused by the decadent decay of his surroundings, he watches the patrons fall into their nightly oblivion, making notes for his novel. In the hope of uncovering their secrets and motives, he establishes tentative friendships with the cast of variously pathological regulars.

But as his tenure at the bar continues, he begins to serve himself more often than his customers, and the moments he lives outside the bar become more and more painful: he loses his wife, his way, himself. Trapped by his habits and his loneliness, he realizes he will not survive if he doesn't break free. And so he hatches a terrible, necessary plan of escape and his only chance for redemption.

Step into Ablutions and step behind the bar, below rock bottom, and beyond the everyday take on storytelling for a brilliant, new twist on the classic tale of addiction and its consequences.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:53 -0400)

Working at a decaying Hollywood bar while making notes for the novel he hopes to write, a bartender is drawn into the alcoholic oblivion that affects his customers, losing his wife, his goals, and himself in the process.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible