Saving Grace by Julie Garwood

Saving Grace

by Julie Garwood

1,219209,960 (4.06)21
    The Gift by Julie Garwood (sferguson)
    sferguson: The Gift is displaced by several centuries and takes place primarily in England, but anyone who enjoyed Saving Grace should love The Gift. In my opinion, The Gift might very well be Garwood's best novel (it is my favorite out of all those I have read, and very few even come close to it) and will be enjoyed by anyone who likes a historical romance.… (more)

English (19)  German (1)  All languages (20)
I'm starting to see a pattern of Julie Garwood's writing. The main female character always does something dumb and needs to be rescued near the end of the book. Out of all the female characters I've encountered, Johanna is by far the dumbest.

I had borrowed this ebook from Libby (the Clark County Library app) hoping that it was as good as Ransom. But from what I've read so far, nothing compares to it. Saving Grace was bland and predictable. I have a feeling she follows one story format and just changes personalities and character names.

Ransom will always be the best highland historical romance ever! ( )
  pistachioph | Aug 25, 2018 |
I liked the abused heroine theme even if it didn't quite invoke the angst and protective, healing hero bit that makes that theme one of my favorites (wouldn't it be great if there was someone who could just "fix" us?) Still, I liked this and will continue to make my way through Julie Garwood's work. (3.5 stars) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
I'm a big fan of Julie Garwood and this is one of my favorites books by her. It's an amazing story with a strong message. I love the characters especially Johanna because she evolves the most in the story and becomes a strong woman who stands up to the man who hurt her. ( )
  mhelissa26 | Mar 8, 2017 |
Good story (believe I'd read it before), about Johanna and Laird mcBain. She's an English lady and gets married off to a Scottish laird and King John is after her. References to beginnings of golf. ( )
  afarrington | Sep 5, 2016 |
Johanna and Gabriel have fairly nice chemistry albeit a little forced in feeling. They come together quickly but love doesn't come into play until later in the story. Johanna and Gabriel's histories are tragic but the author does not dwell too heavily on their pain. Supporting characters are fun but lack depth. But like I said, this is not a serious, heart wrenching tale by any means so it shouldn't be taken in any other way. Fun and romantic, 'Saving Grace' is a nice light weekend read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Garwood, Julieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bénita, PaulTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kloosterman, Yvonnesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

England, thirteenth-century. A woman determined to fight for her freedom... a woman whose life would be transformed by the rare, unexpected gift of love.

When Lady Johanna learned that she was a widow, she vowed she would never marry again. Only sixteen, already she possessed a strength of will that impressed all who looked past her golden-haired beauty. Yet when King John demanded that she remarry and selected a bridegroom for her--it seemed she must acquiesce, until her beloved foster brother suggested she wed his friend, the handsome Scottish warrior Gabriel MacBain.

At first Johanna was shy, but as Gabriel tenderly revealed the splendid pleasures they would share, she came to suspect that she was falling in love with her gruff new husband. And it was soon apparent to the entire Highlands clan that their brusque, gallant laird had surrendered his heart completely. But now a desperate royal intrigue threatened to tear her from his side--and to destroy the man whose love meant more to her than she had ever dreamed!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671870114, Mass Market Paperback)

In this splendid New York Times bestseller, Julie Garwood brilliantly crafts the majestic story of a young Englishwoman determined to fight for her freedom...a woman whose life would be transformed by the rare, unexpected gift of love.

When Lady Johanna learned that she was a widow, she vowed she would never marry again. Only sixteen, already she possessed a strength of will that impressed all who looked past her golden-haired beauty. Yet when King John demanded that she remarry -- and selected a bridegroom for her -- it seemed she must acquiesce, until her beloved foster brother suggested she wed his friend, the handsome Scottish warrior Gabriel MacBain.

At first Johanna was shy, but as Gabriel tenderly revealed the splendid pleasures they would share, she came to suspect that she was falling in love with her gruff new husband. And it was soon apparent to the entire Highlands clan that their brusque, gallant laird had surrendered his heart completely. But now a desperate royal intrigue threatened to tear her from his side -- and to destroy the man whose love meant more to her than she had ever dreamed!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:32 -0400)

When Lady Johanna is widowed at sixteen, she marries a Scottish lord to escape King John's decree.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible